The SNIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf

Visit site
Sad (bad) . Hard to post thoughts, without getting attacked either way. He's been dumped by NS so at least she's shown she can make good decisions quickly.
Not sue I'd say this shows her as being good at making, good decisions quickly. Its merely doing what she had to do , there was no choice in the matter morally and no decision to make

U

User62651

The new lady coming in is supposed to be half decent so another female cabinet member will generally go down well given the gender imbalance in politics, every cloud etc. I cant see the overall support for SNP being affected by this even short term. Most people are absolutely entrenched in their political views the last few years - poisonous divisive counter-productive politics continues up here until this is resolved one way or another but given a near 50/50 split that's not going to happen soon.

The Salmond court case might have had some effect on support (if proved true) if it happened a few years ago but he's been kept distant since 2014 resignation so all new voters age 16-22 or so won't know or care who he is and the rest of us he becomes a distant memory. A week's a long time in politics, never mind 5.5 years.

Sturgeon has taken on his mantle pretty well, even if you hate her she has presence (unlike say Labour's Dugdale or Leonard).

This current scandal issue disappears very quickly once the newspapers are sold - they'll already be looking for the next headline. The guy is too insignificant to sell more papers.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Seems there are more concerns regarding Derek Mackays behaviour. Sturgeon said she didn't know of any but then it appeared that the guy had been banned from drinking at party conferences and there has been more stories of texts to other individuals. Not looking good for the SNP as the lies start to unfold........

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Seems there are more concerns regarding Derek Mackays behaviour. Sturgeon said she didn't know of any but then it appeared that the guy had been banned from drinking at party conferences and there has been more stories of texts to other individuals. Not looking good for the SNP as the lies start to unfold........
Johnson lies and marital misdemeanors don't seem to have impacted the Tory Party very much...

And maybe good that he was banned from drinking at party conferences (if that's true) - look what happened to Charles Kennedy...:(

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I thought this thread was about the SNP!
It is - simply making the point that the misdemeanors of an MP need not impact upon the party. Have the Tories been harmed by Johnson's lies and misdemeanors?; were the LibDems harmed by the words and views of Tim Farron? Did ex-Tory MP Ross Thompson's resignation over allegations of groping harm the Scottish Tories?

I am not sure that the actions of an individual will harm a party unless it is found that the party has know about and/or covered up for these actions. That then is very difficult for any party...or institution.

Last edited:

Wolf

Visit site
...I hadn't finished my post...clearly posted too early.

I was going to post about throwing up our hands in disgust and apply that same disgust to the party the individual represents,
Are you suggesting that Boris shagging another consenting adult behind his Mrs back is the same as another politician effectively grooming a 16 year old boy behind his Mrs back is worthy of the same outrage ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Are you suggesting that Boris shagging another consenting adult behind his Mrs back is the same as another politician effectively grooming a 16 year old boy behind his Mrs back is worthy of the same outrage ?
I am absolutely not - I am very clearly and simply stating that the actions of an individual MP need not have a serious impact on their party.

I have no skin in the game with the SNP - I live in England and have done so for 36yrs. I look to the States and cannot believe that decent sensible American citizens can support the aberration (in my eyes) that is Trump...I might think differently of him if I lived there. But I don't. Likewise I have no idea how I'd feel about Sturgeon and the SNP if I actually lived in Scotland. But I don't.

Wolf

Visit site
I am absolutely not - I am very clearly and simply stating that the actions of an individual MP need not have a serious impact on their party.

I have no skin in the game with the SNP - I live in England and have done so for 36yrs. I look to the States and cannot believe that decent sensible American citizens can support the aberration (in my eyes) that is Trump...I might think differently of him if I lived there. But I don't. Likewise I have no idea how I'd feel about Sturgeon and the SNP if I actually lived in Scotland. But I don't.
Fair play SILH just how the initial posts read?

Status
Not open for further replies.