The Scottish Open

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is that a course record for #1 or for the composite course they're playing?

(IIRC the first hole of #1 and 1 other hole are replaced by 2 holes from #2)

No wind + dry rough I guess is making it very 'getable'

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Superb from the young man from Drumoig, here's hoping he keeps it going over the weekend and can get in the open, can stay at home at the same time.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Has to be the composite as they aren't playing #1

That's what I thought. Therefore, great round though it was, it's only a course record for a course that's rarely been played - rather than a course that's 100's of years old

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hatton not a happy bunny.

Wonder if he shot a 58 would he still be moaning. Just like me to be honest maybe the negative mindset

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Glad to see Scott Hend doing well. Followed him at Walton heath the other year and he’s a nice guy even though he looks a miserable sod!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Tomorrow is potentially going to be the best final round of the season so far. Great leader board, nicely bunched too.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Made it through to this on Friday.

Really great day. Very well organised event and nice layout.

The 1st hole that members play is effectively the tented village. So you basically walk down the 1st fairway, with beer tents, burger vans and merchandise stalls either side. It's a bit surreal seeing people sitting at tables under the very nice (scorched) turf of the links fairway. The members 1st green is the practice green.

Then they play up the 2nd hole as the tournaments 1st hole. The 17th hole on the members course is also not in use - but I think it's the 15th hole of the tournament course that is added in. (basically the pro's are playing 18 from such a long way back that they'd probably have about a 200 yard walk back from the members 17th green). Maybe the members 17th not a particularly long par 4 either.

Really great to see some props up close. Saw a decent bit of Mickelson, Rose, Fowler and McDowell. The crowds were steady without it being crazy to get about. Apparently Ireland had 90,000 over the 5 days at Ballyliffin and Gullane will probably be about 60,000 (numbers may be low today due to the football). Not bad numbers given that Scotland has barely had a top golfer for years and the Open is taking place next week.

Would love to see Knox push on and win some more big events - but not sure he has the x-factor of some of the other GB&I guys who have become household names in Ireland & England. Hopefully some of the youngsters can really get into being top contenders - Syme, Forrest possibly the two more prominent names.

The crowds allowed you to just about get a view at most of the greens. Tees are a bit harder. Didn't sit at the 18th but looks like some amount of stands they have put up.

All in all a great day. we had about 10 hours on the property and travelling from Glasgow was very smooth. Will definitely be looking at going again to the Renaissance - which is on the same bit of coast.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Must be a pitch and putt track. Minus 10 today with 2 to go. Brilliant from Stone.

Fast running links course in calm conditions, yardage does not come into it.
Basically its a turkey shoot.
I once played with a local who shot 63 at Gullane in those conditions.
Off the members tees he drove the 7th, 8th and was through the back of the 18th green. With wound balls and persimmon woods.:lol: