The Scottish Open

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fast running links course in calm conditions, yardage does not come into it.
Basically its a turkey shoot.
I once played with a local who shot 63 at Gullane in those conditions.
Off the members tees he drove the 7th, 8th and was through the back of the 18th green. With wound balls and persimmon woods.:lol:

Bounce game...…….I lost:(

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes - it's a bit of a shame the conditions were so benign for 3 of the 4 days.

Doesn't take much of a breeze to really test these guys on the right layout.

Also remember they have to start planning the set up weeks in advance - and it is a fine line to keep the course playable in a strong wind while still being a test on a day with little breeze. a line the USGA usually cross.

I personally love to see the pros tested. Obviously a birdie fest can be entertaining, but when the conditions are tricky it usually brings the top players to the fore.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Also remember they have to start planning the set up weeks in advance - and it is a fine line to keep the course playable in a strong wind while still being a test on a day with little breeze. a line the USGA usually cross.

I personally love to see the pros tested. Obviously a birdie fest can be entertaining, but when the conditions are tricky it usually brings the top players to the fore.

Scottish Open has a history of being fair. Castle Stuart, Royal Aberdeen, Gullane and Dundonald all kept the courses set up like they are for members, no narrowing of fairways, no rough getting grown up etc.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of my best friends is a member at Gullane and a Cat 1 golfer. He was bemoaning the fact that the R&A thought that as it was, Gullane #1 would be too tough and they had the fairways cut wider for the week.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

yes its a shame they didn't get more wind. A bit Sat afternoon, but nothing yesterday.
enjoyed watching it but, found it hard to know which hole they were playing (on the normal layout) .

I play no1 a couple of times a year and its always windy when i play there, Links courses need a bit of wind for protection esp if they are shortish like Gullane

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Scottish Open has a history of being fair. Castle Stuart, Royal Aberdeen, Gullane and Dundonald all kept the courses set up like they are for members, no narrowing of fairways, no rough getting grown up etc.

Yes - I think Castle Stuart was not really enough of a test and they seem to be using it less often now.

Also - with it being the week before the Open, it is seen as a warm-up event so it's not going to be as tough as an Open layout.

That said, if the breeze had blown like Saturday for the whole week, then there probably wouldn't have been many players under par.

Personally thought Royal Aberdeen looked the biz in 2014. Surprised they have not had it back there again. Would have been the ideal year with the Open at Carnoustie.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
One of my best friends is a member at Gullane and a Cat 1 golfer. He was bemoaning the fact that the R&A thought that as it was, Gullane #1 would be too tough and they had the fairways cut wider for the week.

the European tour you mean, nothing to do with the R&A;)

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Must admit I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and it's certainly whetted my appetite for the Open (not that it needed much!)

Great idea to move it away from Loch Lomond (picturesque though it is)

Yes it's a shame the wind didn't blow a bit more but the players might get beaten up enough this week if it blows!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

That's exactly the right word!

I'm not a fan of OTT US Open setups, but 'tricky' works well imo!

And if conditions are truly benign, then I have no problem with the occasional 20(+) Under winning The Open. It is, after all the same for all!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
That's exactly the right word!

I'm not a fan of OTT US Open setups, but 'tricky' works well imo!

And if conditions are truly benign, then I have no problem with the occasional 20(+) Under winning The Open. It is, after all the same for all!

Agree. Unfortunately we are going to end up with someone going crazy one year (probably at St Andrews) if we get damp greens & no wind .