The Open 2018

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I normally have a small amount on Spieth to make me feel better when he wins.

This time, I thought his form was so dodgy I didn't have too...

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
They'd still be eating at the top table, it's just that the food might be not quite as exquisite, but they'd still be at the top table. Woods doesn't own the top table.

Put McIlroy in instead of Woods and guess what will happen ....................... exactly the same, I'd suggest!

My point was that he created the top table. They may well be there now, but it wouldn’t exist like it does without him.

Re small events, Woods would trump McIlroy all day long unless it was in Ireland in regards to people attending.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting chat on Tiger.

I think a sport benefits from having big rivalries or a big name who is successful.

People love watching someone who is the best, or may be the best. This is much better than having tournament wins spread across 25 guys.

As for the golf, Tiger was the best but is definitely no longer the best. Part of his success was that other players would beat themselves such was the fear factor. This is no longer the case.

On Tigers best day no one could touch him, tomorrow he needs his very best day & it probably still won’t be enough.

one thing I’ve noticed with Tiger this year is that when he’s pushed on a Sunday, he has gone backwards. Maybe trying to pull off shots he’s not worked up to yet, or maybe he’s not there mentally yet. But if he pushes tomorrow & he goes up the leaderboard, then we will know he is back.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Remember when Faldo hit the scene big time???? Golf in the UK took off. I had no real interest in the sport before then, but I don't mind admitting that Faldo's success sparked my enthusiasm. Look at the number of new golf courses that sprung up in the 80's and 90's to cater for the increased interest in the sport. Every paper you read was headlining Faldo, Leadbetter & Fanny Sunesson. It was like no other golfer existed. Faldo's private life was splashed all over the media...........You couldn't get away from it, and this was in the days before the internet, social media, twitter etc.
Woods came along and took over from where Faldo left off. The biggest difference was that he was black. That was newsworthy in itself. How could a black guy, from such "humble" beginnings do so well in the wonderful world of golf???
He too sparked peoples imagination, the way that Faldo had done before him. And Arnie, Jack & Player before that.
It's a different world we live in nowadays. The world of "instant" news. If Woods had come along 50 years ago, there wouldn't be the debates there are now.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Is it just me who can't be bothered with Butch Harmon's fawning style of commentary - and it not just over Tiger - when it reaches it's apotheosis.

Been enjoying watching Tiger this week - but I wish all commentators - not just Harmon - would lay off it a bit with him - building him up for today. Yes I know they are trying to sell their TV product to the non or occasional golfer - but ...

D

Deleted member 16999

Is it just me who can't be bothered with Butch Harmon's fawning style of commentary - and it not just over Tiger - when it reaches it's apotheosis.

Been enjoying watching Tiger this week - but I wish all commentators - not just Harmon - would lay off it a bit with him - building him up for today. Yes I know they are trying to sell their TV product to the non or occasional golfer - but ...
They’re not trying to sell anything, Sky have the contract and unless you already pay for it you won’t hear them.
Jordan Spieth could be the first player under 25 to win back to back Opens in over a century and more, was Spieth talking about that or was he talking about his dream about going up against Tiger in the last round of a Major.
Love or hate, like or dislike Woods, fact is he is still currently the biggest name in Golf.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
They’re not trying to sell anything, Sky have the contract and unless you already pay for it you won’t hear them.
Jordan Spieth could be the first player under 25 to win back to back Opens in over a century and more, was Spieth talking about that or was he talking about his dream about going up against Tiger in the last round of a Major.
Love or hate, like or dislike Woods, fact is he is still currently the biggest name in Golf.

If you find yourself watching in club, pub or at a friend's you might find yourself so enthused that you go take out a Sky subscription? Only trying to find a reason for Tiger-obsession...he might be a big name but if they don;t need to sell their coverage why do the producers continue to focus on him and the the commentators give us such fawning commentary.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
If you find yourself watching in club, pub or at a friend's you might find yourself so enthused that you go take out a Sky subscription? Only trying to find a reason for Tiger-obsession...he might be a big name but that does not mean that producers need to focus on him and the the commentators have to give us such fawning commentary.
I find myself in total agreement with you here SILH.
:eek:

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I think it’s between the top 4 now. Don’t think that all of them will have a stinker and let the others in.Spieth must really fancy his chances as the others haven’t been in that position before. Wouldn’t mind one bit if he won this one. I’ve really started to admire him since his Augusta meltdown.

D

Deleted member 16999

If you find yourself watching in club, pub or at a friend's you might find yourself so enthused that you go take out a Sky subscription? Only trying to find a reason for Tiger-obsession...he might be a big name but that does not mean that producers need to focus on him and the the commentators have to give us such fawning commentary.
Does it not say something if ALL the media are talking about him, ALL the players are talking about him and he gets the largest crowds following him at Carnoustie.
There’s an argument that he has had the biggest impact as a player in the history of Golf.
I’m not a fan of the bloke, but you have to accept the circus that happens around him while he’s still playing.
He’s been written off numerous times and he’s back “again”
This will continue until he retires or moves to the Seniors tour.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I remember Butch Harmon telling Darren Clarke if he wants to win this week he's going to have to beat Tiger
Darren replied
''If I want to win this week, I'll have to beat everyone''

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Tiger's going to have a tough time winning this today.
You have to expect one of the 9 and 8 under players to shoot 2/3/4 under again today.
So he's got to be looking at a 65 or better to realistically have a chance.
Doable but not easy.
I think this is Spieth's to lose..

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Tiger's going to have a tough time winning this today.
You have to expect one of the 9 and 8 under players to shoot 2/3/4 under again today.
So he's got to be looking at a 65 or better to realistically have a chance.
Doable but not easy.
I think this is Spieth's to lose..

You do know their are other players apart from tiger at the top end of the leaderboard 😁

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If spieth shots a couple under, there's only really 4 guys in it.

I think the state of the rough helps him avoid the blow ups - he has a fantastic short game, and even if he gets a bit wayward (which he certainly might), is not so penal that he can't keep knocking out pars.

Obviously hoping for a Brit, European, Rest of the world, Septic, Webb Simpson in that order. Just think I'm going to be disappointed.