The Open 2018

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you believe that golf would have as much money in it now if woods hadn’t played the game?

All sports revenue is based on how they can market the product. The young superstars now will obviously continue from where it is now and if he retired I don’t think it would fall back, but would Michelson, Singh, Duval, Els and the rest have captivated audiences like Woods did (does)?

Well said, usual suspects trying to shoot tiger down, he’s an absolute legend and certainly raised the popularity of the game in my opinion.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Look at it this way Phil.
Liverpool football club use to be a top team that won trophies,because of that people all over the world still want to watch them despite not winning aThe title for god knows how long.
They don’t want to see Leicester as much dispite them winning the title a few years back.

Hope this helps👍🏻

D

Deleted member 15344

you are the google copy and paste expert and I am sure you could find all the facts and figures if you wanted but you just need to look at the crowds on course to see who they are following and then the players and the media will also speak about The Great One, yep that will be Tiger.

I gave you the facts and figures but you didn’t like them last time because it showed that golf in the UK has done fine without Woods

The Open has been sold out each year even when Woods wasn’t playing , the crowds still flock to see the guys play even when Woods isn’t playing - look at the crowds for the Masters and PGA - people still go so it’s quite clearly proof that Golf doesn’t need Woods and Woods isn’t golf. Viewing figures in the Uk will be small but that’s because it’s on Sky

Woods came along and boosted the sport , he was a marketing dream and the money followed , he gave the sport the leg up and the other players have followed him. The sport isn’t going to take a nose dive when he stops - he hasn’t over the years he didn’t play

If Woods wasn’t playing the crowds would just go and watch someone else like they have done in previous years when he hasn’t been around.

A lot like Woods and will only watch him , there is also a lot that like Golf and want to watch more than just Woods and there is some that have switched off because people make it just about him.

Golf has been around for centuries and it will continue to be around once he stops playing

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I rather suspect Arnie and his army along with Mark McCormack did a whole lot with regard bringing interest and professionalism and therefore money into the game long before Tiger came into view...

Some short memories folk can have...

Cant forget a memory you didn’t experience....

the current audience are there to watch (according to viewing figures) Mr Woods. That being said, I fully accept the Palmer was extemely popular and helped grow the game, but it still asks the question, would any of the others from Tigers generation build on those foundations and created the financial revenue streams as well as broke down the cultural barriers that woods did?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I gave you the facts and figures but you didn’t like them last time because it showed that golf in the UK has done fine without Woods

The Open has been sold out each year even when Woods wasn’t playing , the crowds still flock to see the guys play even when Woods isn’t playing - look at the crowds for the Masters and PGA - people still go so it’s quite clearly proof that Golf doesn’t need Woods and Woods isn’t golf. Viewing figures in the Uk will be small but that’s because it’s on Sky

Woods came along and boosted the sport , he was a marketing dream and the money followed , he gave the sport the leg up and the other players have followed him. The sport isn’t going to take a nose dive when he stops - he hasn’t over the years he didn’t play

If Woods wasn’t playing the crowds would just go and watch someone else like they have done in previous years when he hasn’t been around.

A lot like Woods and will only watch him , there is also a lot that like Golf and want to watch more than just Woods and there is some that have switched off because people make it just about him.

Golf has been around for centuries and it will continue to be around once he stops playing

All of that is true, but Only tells half the story.

Viewing figures at majors will always sell out, but there are countless venues that have said ticket levels were raised once woods announced his appearance on tour. Golf can’t survive on 4 majors a year. It’s why it has a wrap around season, constant marketing and whilst I agree that when he retires the tour will still be fine. It’s false to claim that his participation doesn’t have an effect on viewing figures.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well the original point I made was that without woods the top guys now wouldn’t be reaping the rewards (eating at the top table) that they are now.

So it appears it was....

On the No Laying Up podcast (best golf podcast there is) they interview all of the top players and I mean basically everyone in the top 10 in the world.

They always ask them, about the tiger factor and what % or winning is down to tiger.

EVERY single one of them has said at least 50%. I think Els said about 70%.

People hugely underestimate how important he is too golf, and whilst golf might not ‘need’ Tiger. It benefits hugely from having him.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Of course The Open would sell out without Woods.
This is one of the biggest golfing events in the world & it’s in Britain.

You put Woods in a lesser event that struggles to attract the crowds & sponsors & guess what would happen?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
On the No Laying Up podcast (best golf podcast there is) they interview all of the top players and I mean basically everyone in the top 10 in the world.

They always ask them, about the tiger factor and what % or winning is down to tiger.

EVERY single one of them has said at least 50%. I think Els said about 70%.

People hugely underestimate how important he is too golf, and whilst golf might not ‘need’ Tiger. It benefits hugely from having him.

It is a very good podcast.
Well worth a listen.

D

Deleted member 15344

All of that is true, but Only tells half the story.

Viewing figures at majors will always sell out, but there are countless venues that have said ticket levels were raised once woods announced his appearance on tour. Golf can’t survive on 4 majors a year. It’s why it has a wrap around season, constant marketing and whilst I agree that when he retires the tour will still be fine. It’s false to claim that his participation doesn’t have an effect on viewing figures.

How many of those events are on the ET or in the UK ? Woods plays in one event in the UK - The Open - all those events in the US don’t struggle financially - just look at the price money they give out , with Woods playing they will just give out more money in prize money. It won’t help “grow the game” in this country , the viewing figures in this country aren’t going to dramatically change because it’s on a subscription service. If Woods stopped playing the US events would still go ahead with big prize money and crowds watching it.

Statements like - Woods is golf and Golf needs Woods are clearly false

Participation in the UK increased in the two years Woods was away , viewing figures decreased because the Open went to Sky . The British Masters has sold out every day for every event - without Woods. The PGA sells out - without Woods

If a sport is relying on one person then it’s finished - but thankfully it’s clearly not and the sports doesn’t “need” Woods. He helped grow the game , he helped get more money for the players

Pin-seeker

Visit site
How many of those events are on the ET or in the UK ? Woods plays in one event in the UK - The Open - all those events in the US don’t struggle financially - just look at the price money they give out , with Woods playing they will just give out more money in prize money. It won’t help “grow the game” in this country , the viewing figures in this country aren’t going to dramatically change because it’s on a subscription service. If Woods stopped playing the US events would still go ahead with big prize money and crowds watching it.

Participation in the UK increased in the two years Woods was away , viewing figures decreased because the Open went to Sky . The British Masters has sold out every day for every event - without Woods. The PGA sells out - without Woods

If a sport is relying on one person then it’s finished - but thankfully it’s clearly not and the sports doesn’t “need” Woods. He helped grow the game , he helped get more money for the players

But instead of constantly whinging about Woods coverage you’ve got to understand it’s like that because he is still the big draw.
Or you could contact the broadcasters,present them with some of your “facts” and point out that they’ve got it all wrong.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hell's teeth, half the threads on golfwrx are ruined by people having pointless circular arguements about Tiger, and now we're as bad.

Can't we put this in a separate thread that only the tragic go to...?

And speaking of tragic, spare a thought for Tommy having to watch zj waiting for the grass to finish growing for several hours tomorrow afternoon. Poor bugger.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Yes without Woods, the game will be fine now. But that's down to the fact that Woods made it what it is (from a financial perspective).

US events will still give big purses without him, but venues and local areas will do better with him playing as extra people do go and There for money is spent in larger amounts.

I'm not sure many have said golf can't survive without him, people have just stated tjat golf is currently like it is because of him.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well the original point I made was that without woods the top guys now wouldn’t be reaping the rewards (eating at the top table) that they are now.

So it appears it was....

They'd still be eating at the top table, it's just that the food might be not quite as exquisite, but they'd still be at the top table. Woods doesn't own the top table.

Of course The Open would sell out without Woods.
This is one of the biggest golfing events in the world & it’s in Britain.

You put Woods in a lesser event that struggles to attract the crowds & sponsors & guess what would happen?

Put McIlroy in instead of Woods and guess what will happen ....................... exactly the same, I'd suggest!

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes without Woods, the game will be fine now. But that's down to the fact that Woods made it what it is (from a financial perspective).

US events will still give big purses without him, but venues and local areas will do better with him playing as extra people do go and There for money is spent in larger amounts.

I'm not sure many have said golf can't survive without him, people have just stated tjat golf is currently like it is because of him.

I’m not exactly sure if you are reading what I post and instead some pre conceived idea

I have already said that Woods is one the main reasons why the financial rewards increased massively , haven’t disputed that

And my posts were in response to the statement from Hank that - Golf needs Woods and Woods is golf

And yep in the US they may see benefit - the UK events don’t need Woods to help boost the local area with the way people flock to see the golf for the Masters and the PGA

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
The sport needs all personality of golfers - believe it or not Woods is a unique personality in golf. Will golf survive without Tiger of course it will but does Tiger playing golf add another dimension to golf. You bet it does

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Forget Tiger, my main bet was on Schauffele and hopefully he’ll have a good round tomorrow.