The Open 2018

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Hoping the wind kicks up a bit. I think spieth will have it done and dusted with a few to play. Other than the final few. Wayward tee shots arent hammering anyone and he’s the best player since woods (sorry to bring him up) at winning when nit at his best.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just back from a swim in the sea on the St Andrews side of the Tay Firth (yeah it’s great living here, sorry) and it’s getting very windy. Trying to decide whether I should head back to the course or sit in and watch from home. It’s such a lovely day I’d like to be outdoors... but £90 fo entry again is going to sting. Can’t decide... either way I’m super hyped for a historic showdown.

D

Deleted member 16999

Getting worried, Mickelson’s shirt not bothering me as much as when he first wore them! :rofl:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Does it not say something if ALL the media are talking about him, ALL the players are talking about him and he gets the largest crowds following him at Carnoustie.
There’s an argument that he has had the biggest impact as a player in the history of Golf.
I’m not a fan of the bloke, but you have to accept the circus that happens around him while he’s still playing.
He’s been written off numerous times and he’s back “again”
This will continue until he retires or moves to the Seniors tour.

We are talking about Sky TV coverage on this - not whether Tiger is worthy of media-wide adulation and the value of that in encouraging non or occasional golfers to participate.

We here are all golfers. if we are watching on Sky Sports, Sky Golf or Sky Major Event then we have already bought into Sky. yes there will be a few watching who don't currently play - but I suggest these numbers are very few.

We don't need to hear Tiger-love. We already go for it or we don't.

Personally? I previously had no time for Tiger Woods. But I like to see someone come through bad times and strive to rebuild their life/career - and especially if they can throw in a good dollop of humility along the way - something I hear these days from Tiger these days - and that I like. So if it comes down to Tiger vs Speith - I'll go Tiger.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why are we seeing Harry Kane in the Skyzone and watching him hitting shots ?!

It’s The Open - shows the golf for goodness sake

Was listening to 5live on the way home yesterday and Paul Lawrie was commentating and he was superb - his assessment of Amatuer Golfers and the distance they claim to hit the ball was very funny

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 16999

Why are we seeing Harry Kane in the Skyzone and watching him hitting shots ?!

It’s The Open - shows the golf for goodness sake

Was listening to 5live on the way home yesterday and Paul Lawrie was commentating and he was superb - his assessment of Amatuer Golfers and the distance they claim to hit the ball was very funny
You go on about Sky being bad for Golf, do you not think that them getting one of, if not the most, current high profile English Footballers in the studio if might inspire a kid or 2, ie, it’s cool (or whatever current phrase) to like both Football and Golf.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don’t underestimate Schauffele. The way he closed out his two PGA tournaments last year, including the final of the FedEx Cup, impressed me and I have followed him since. He struck me as someone who can stand up to the pressure - today will tell if I was right.

D

Deleted member 15344

Don’t underestimate Schauffele. The way he closed out his two PGA tournaments last year, including the final of the FedEx Cup, impressed me and I have followed him since. He struck me as someone who can stand up to the pressure - today will tell if I was right.

Yeah he hits a very good ball and is part of that class of 2011 - very impressive last year in the Tour Championship

Guys on the radio saying the wind is picking up a lot

Last edited by a moderator: