The most interesting job at your club?

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A couple of pilots one who has seen combat, lots of cops two special branch officers. An electrician who works for Granada who has a daughter that is a well known actor.
A good mate who has fitted kitchens for the Beckhams and lots of other celebrities, he accidentally saw Victoria Beckham on the loo said she laughed her head off and was very nice about it.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Used to have (he’s dead now) a bloke who did his stint in the SAS then joined MI5. Some of his stories were hard to believe but I’m sure they were all true.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Used to have (he’s dead now) a bloke who did his stint in the SAS then joined MI5. Some of his stories were hard to believe but I’m sure they were all true.
We had one of those, and he was a Lord.

We had the then record hockey GB & I goal scorer, Calum Giles as a member. Iron off most tees, very short back swing, but hit it miles. Nice guy on the golf course.

I must be quite famous, as someone at the club came up to me and said they saw me in Golf Monthly. I refused request for an autograph.;)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Any Nottingham Forest or Cardiff City fans on here.

I once turned up at our club for a Rabbits match one Tuesday night and Joe Lolley and Danny Ward were just heading out (Both proffesional footballers for those that don't know).

I've met them both before so had a quick chat with them. Danny Ward was quite envious that I was able to play in a regular rabbits team and said he'd love to be able to be a member of a club. If only I could get paid several thousand pounds a week for kicking a ball around, instead of grafting my nuts off fitting bathrooms and kitchens for folk!!

We've got a pilot for Jet 2 at the club, I think his is perhaps the most interesting of the jobs that I'm aware of.

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We’ve got a chap who breeds butterflies. I didn’t even realise there was such a job lol.
I think my jobs a bit different I repair broken gas mains in the roads. People always seem interested when I answer what I do.

D

Deleted member 18588

I have been fascinated by this thread as I really wouldn't have a clue what jobs my fellow members have/had. Even my regular PP's.

It's just not something I would ask or expect to be told.

That said we did, for a number of years, have a '66 World Cup winner but then he was pretty recognisable without asking.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been fascinated by this thread as I really wouldn't have a clue what jobs my fellow members have/had. Even my regular PP's.

It's just not something I would ask or expect to be told.

Similar for me. I specifically avoid all talk of work as I know that I play golf partly to escape and relax away from work and make an assumption that others do the same. If a PP raises the subject I will answer and reciprocate but I never ask the question myself.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
One of my playing partners grows cannabis

Legally for the company often seen in the news recently 🤗

D

Deleted member 18588

Similar for me. I specifically avoid all talk of work as I know that I play golf partly to escape and relax away from work and make an assumption that others do the same. If a PP raises the subject I will answer and reciprocate but I never ask the question myself.

100% the same.

Anyway, now I am retired I find that it is even more advisable to keep schtum.

There's a lot of jealousy out there!;)

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
The most interesting by far was a guy who did body guarding on the side specifically for Nike Athletes.

He used to take care of Nick Faldo and even Tiger Woods when he was in his prime.

This was back when I was a junior, he kept very quiet about it and didn't boast etc. it was the club assistant pro that made everybody aware of it and as a result I think he got swamped with requests for signed membrbila which in fairness he delivered on.

A lot of people called BS however sure enough there he was on tv stuck by tigers side. Shades on, earpiece in and keeping tiger safe.

He often helped set-up a lot of junior events and donated numerous nike prizes as he had plenty of access. He even did a putting comp with 4 of us juniors that were hanging around and promised the winner a pair of shoes. I won (luck) and true to his word the following weekend a pair of nike golf shoes and two of tigers practice balls plus 1 signed ball awaited me. He ran lots of these mini comps whenever he saw us juniors and it was great competition. On the side he gave those that didn't win, hats, shirts etc.

Absolutely great bloke and i'd love to see him again however he went off the grid.

One lad was also a caddy for a player on tour, he obviously wasn't there very often and i don't even recall who he caddied for but a british player.

Yes, played with him a couple of times. Great story teller. I even played 9 holes with him when he was wearing two left shoes!!!

😂😂😂
Member jim watt came to our boxing club, maybe 15 years ago took photos for the kirkintillock herald and said he was going to buy new equipment for the club. He had a big house maybe 2 minutes walk from the club. Never did buy anything for the club and it was struggling for money.