What is happening at your club for the state funeral?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I said in another thread, the club and bar will be closed, but the course open to members only at ours.
No problem with that whatsoever.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Was due to play an away match for seniors team.
Away club has cancelled.
Don't know what our club are doing next Monday.
AGM just happens to be this evening.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not heard anything, but it's an opportunity to get some extra revenue from visitors (which our 2nd 18 hole course is popular with - and helps balance the books).

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Luckily we have a big outdoor screen at the club and the coverage of the funeral is certain to be played all day.

Having 100+ people watching this event after a board comp in her honour is likely to be one of those moments that will live long in the memory.

Couldn’t think of anything else I’d rather be doing

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking at the booking sheet, the course is open but the 1st tee is closed when the actual funeral is taking place, 10.50 - 12.15. I don't know if the clubhouse will be open, I assume they will confirm either way in the next day or two.

For me, this is the best way. Leave it to individuals to make their own choice. Stay at home if you want, go out if you want.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
As long as the club can open totally unstaffed then I can see no problem with that as, in the same way that people want to be able to choose their own way to mark the occasion, the staff should be afforded the same luxury.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
As long as the club can open totally unstaffed then I can see no problem with that as, in the same way that people want to be able to choose their own way to mark the occasion, the staff should be afforded the same luxury.

I suspect most clubs would need some staff for things like taking payment for buggies and visitors and Health and Safety aspects.

Our course and clubhouse will both be closed.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect most clubs would need some staff for things like taking payment for buggies and visitors and Health and Safety aspects.

Our course and clubhouse will both be closed.

This is sort of my point I guess. All well and good stating that you want to show respect in your own way and playing golf is not and issue and I agree with that until it reaches the point that staff at the club have to attend so as you can have your round and so are denied the chance to mark the occasion how they want. From what I have read, this is not a statutory bank holiday so no obligations for higher pay or time off in lieu

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
This is sort of my point I guess. All well and good stating that you want to show respect in your own way and playing golf is not and issue and I agree with that until it reaches the point that staff at the club have to attend so as you can have your round and so are denied the chance to mark the occasion how they want. From what I have read, this is not a statutory bank holiday so no obligations for higher pay or time off in lieu
Sorry, red herring. Many small 9 holers are totally unmanned as a matter of course. No reason bigger clubs can't be the same, no bar restaurant, pro shop closed (members only for the day), perfectly feasible.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry, red herring. Many small 9 holers are totally unmanned as a matter of course. No reason bigger clubs can't be the same, no bar restaurant, pro shop closed (members only for the day), perfectly feasible.

If they can do that, crack on, cannot see the issue. If they cannot though then I do see more of a concern as one person's wish to play golf is preventing another person having a day of reflection and mourning at home if that is what they wish. Just waiting for the complaints when the supermarkets and other shops close for the day. I would say the pubs as well but most for the pubs around me do not open on a Monday anyway.