The monetary cost of extra yards...

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
£400 to gain 20yds? I can gain that by misreading my laser gizmo. But seriously - £400 for 20yds? Just hit it a bit lower and get that 20yds through more run ?

Not for me - £400 is a stupid amount of money for what would be for be a pretty marginal gain towards improving my scoring - but each to his own.
I'm already fairly long as far as amateur golfers go but if I could get another 20 yards I'd bite your hand off. Instead of hitting long irons into par 5's I'd be hitting a mid iron, I could carry trouble that I cant at the moment. 20 yards is huge to gain, I'd then be carrying it around 300. Basically makes every course in the uk fairly straight forward

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'm already fairly long as far as amateur golfers go but if I could get another 20 yards I'd bite your hand off. Instead of hitting long irons into par 5's I'd be hitting a mid iron, I could carry trouble that I cant at the moment. 20 yards is huge to gain, I'd then be carrying it around 300. Basically makes every course in the uk fairly rubbish

Fixed that for you. ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fixed that for you. ;)
When golf courses were originally designed back in the day by the likes of Messrs Mackenzie, Colt and Vardon, what sort of drive length would they have worked to? I know you like your classic clubs so maybe you might know this type of thing.

I'd like more length off the tee but what a shame if you can't play one of the great courses simply because you have turned it into a pitch and putt course. I solve my difficulty at a great course by going off the yellows ?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
When golf courses were originally designed back in the day by the likes of Messrs Mackenzie, Colt and Vardon, what sort of drive length would they have worked to? I know you like your classic clubs so maybe you might know this type of thing.

I'd like more length off the tee but what a shame if you can't play one of the great courses simply because you have turned it into a pitch and putt course. I solve my difficulty at a great course by going off the yellows ?

When designing courses, Mackenzie and Colt would try to make a hole so that it could be played by various abilities of golfer, as demonstrated by Mackenzie's famous winning entry of 1914 in Country Life's competition to design a golf hole.
https://www.countrylife.co.uk/out-a...ow-country-life-changed-the-face-of-golf-1668

At that time anything over 200 yards was an exceptional drive.

Up until the late 1970s a 250 yard drive was still pretty much the limit for most good club golfers and even the best Pros would be happy with a drive of 275 yards, but then metal woods started to appear closely followed by ball developments and the game as we know it today was just a few decades away.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Straight drives are still the most important factor for me. Extra yards are sexy though and if you can get them consistently straight, you're on to a winner.
The further you hit it in effect means you can hit less club to the same distance if you were shorter, I guarantee your straighter with a rescue than you are with a driver.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Folks, also got to consider what £400 of lessons looks like.

Ok, so includes time and commitment and of course there will be some people who are very efficient and already get a lot out of their swing. And of course it's a risk that you could go and spend 6 hours of lesson time, and 18 hours of practice time to find you are struggling with changes, but I think that's unlikely.

I went to a coach as a 24 handicapper, hit a few balls and he convinced me I was much better than that and a bank of 6 lessons would see big improvements. He was absolutely correct and got to 17 within a year.

Appreciate going as an 11 handicapper, and already hitting it 250 off the tee (for example) is going to be a different conversation.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Ok, so includes time and commitment and of course there will be some people who are very efficient and already get a lot out of their swing. And of course it's a risk that you could go and spend 6 hours of lesson time, and 18 hours of practice time to find you are struggling with changes, but I think that's unlikely.

I went to a coach as a 24 handicapper, hit a few balls and he convinced me I was much better than that and a bank of 6 lessons would see big improvements. He was absolutely correct and got to 17 within a year.

Appreciate going as an 11 handicapper, and already hitting it 250 off the tee (for example) is going to be a different conversation.
thats not what he's asking though, its would you spend that amount for 20 yards extra by buying a driver.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
thats not what he's asking though, its would you spend that amount for 20 yards extra by buying a driver.

If you offered me an extra 20 yards for 400 sheets I’d have your arm and much of your upper torso off before you’d finished the sentence.

Question is, is it achievable? For me it was, but only if you’re using a poorly suited driver now. Otherwise it’s swing change or strength training or something involving effort, not simply cash monies

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you offered me an extra 20 yards for 400 sheets I’d have your arm and much of your upper torso off before you’d finished the sentence.

Question is, is it achievable? For me it was, but only if you’re using a poorly suited driver now. Otherwise it’s swing change or strength training or something involving effort, not simply cash monies
no amount of lessons is ever going to give me 20 yards extra, not uless i could take 20 years of and reverse my injury issues

it's almost hypothetical for many of us esp if you are a lower handicap and have a driver that works for you already.

i'd love to but, its not going to happen.. not for me anyway

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've had my 9* Ping G10 driver for more than 10yrs. I bought it off my pro for £50. I am generally straighter, longer and more consistent with it over a round than most folks I play with Cat 2 or Cat3. No fitting; no trying other drivers or shaft variants before I bought (I did take it out for a couple of 'trial' rounds). I just bought it and fitted my swing to it to make it work for me. Yes it's getting on a little and yes I am sure that technology has moved on a bit - but it absolutely delivers for me and so job done. I have zero interest in relacing it.

Wish the rest of my game matched up :(

New irons sometime this year I am thinking ... to fix my iron play :)

sunshine

Visit site

This is a great point.

Unless you are already cat one or lower, £400 of lessons is probably going to generate more yards than a new driver.

sunshine

Visit site
I would also call it "football" when speaking to anyone but a fellow American.
I have no idea where soccer came from, especially as the ball is kicked far more often in your game than ours.

Our football is more similar to fifteens and thirteens rugby, except that the players are allowed to launch off their feet to make tackles and thus require protective equipment.
It's fun to watch once you get the idea of it, but sadly, it's also brain and spinal cord injuries waiting to happen.
My team has been on a twenty-year run of great play, even winning a game (match?) or two in London, but that's about to come crashing down. Might be a good time to find something else to watch.

Ironically, "soccer" is an English word, and was used long before football was played in America.

Soccer is a slang for "soc", an abbreviation of "association". The game was originally called association football to differentiate it from other types of football that were played in the 19th century, before "soccer" became the most popular and universal game we today call football.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Ironically, "soccer" is an English word, and was used long before football was played in America.

Soccer is a slang for "soc", an abbreviation of "association". The game was originally called association football to differentiate it from other types of football that were played in the 19th century, before "soccer" became the most popular and universal game we today call football.

I find it hard to imagine that association football became more popular in the UK than rugby--either thirteens or fifteens.

If I see rugby on TV, I can at least see what everybody is trying to do, more or less.

Watching the round ball game, I can't tell good play from bad. I just don't know what to look for.

Both American football and "soccer" are classic attack and defend goal games, just like basketball, hockey, or even polo.

Baseball is totally different. One man against nine. No clock. I suppose cricket must be like that, although I know nothing about it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I find it hard to imagine that association football became more popular in the UK than rugby--either thirteens or fifteens.

If I see rugby on TV, I can at least see what everybody is trying to do, more or less.

Watching the round ball game, I can't tell good play from bad. I just don't know what to look for.

Both American football and "soccer" are classic attack and defend goal games, just like basketball, hockey, or even polo.

Baseball is totally different. One man against nine. No clock. I suppose cricket must be like that, although I know nothing about it.
they were playing football a hell of a lot longer than Rugby, which was begining of the 19th century, where as there has been football played since the middle ages, though not in any organised fashion of course