The monetary cost of extra yards...

Springveldt

Visit site
I just think it's funny how people treat golf differently to other sports. If you start playing 5-a-side football, people don't suggest you go and pay for football lessons. When I started playing badminton with the wife we didn't go and book badminton lessons, we just went and played badminton.
To be fair, those sports aren't as technical as golf. Most adults can kick a ball if you put it in front of them or hit a shuttlecock with a racket. Stick a tiny white ball at their feet and give them a 3 foot long stick with a bit of metal on the end and ask them to hit the tiny white ball far and straight isn't going to go well for a lot of people.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be fair, those sports aren't as technical as golf. Most adults can kick a ball if you put it in front of them or hit a shuttlecock with a racket. Stick a tiny white ball at their feet and give them a 3 foot long stick with a bit of metal on the end and ask them to hit the tiny white ball far and straight isn't going to go well for a lot of people.
You would be surprised, lol. This is just a personal thing anyway, I choose to treat golf like any other sport, in a kind of relaxed, organic way, whereas others prefers to treat it like some great important exercise in self improvement. You say golf is 'more technical' than other sports but I'm not sure it has to be, that's just a perception people have. Is hitting a stationary ball on the ground with a stick really more difficult than hitting a moving ball in the air with a bat for example?

Siolag

Visit site
I just think it's funny how people treat golf differently to other sports. If you start playing 5-a-side football, people don't suggest you go and pay for football lessons. When I started playing badminton with the wife we didn't go and book badminton lessons, we just went and played badminton.

If you played football competitively, Ie, for a team, you would be coached. If you run at all competitively, you'll get a coach to maximise the training you can do.

Therefore if you are playing golf in a competition format, it makes sense to maximise your skills. Another consideration is that many of us haven't grown up as golfers, in comparison to how many have played football when young.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you played football competitively, Ie, for a team, you would be coached. If you run at all competitively, you'll get a coach to maximise the training you can do.

Therefore if you are playing golf in a competition format, it makes sense to maximise your skills. Another consideration is that many of us haven't grown up as golfers, in comparison to how many have played football when young.
I do play competitively, in Sunday League. I can assure you we're not 'coached', lol. And before you say it's not a high enough level, it's probably equivalent to the level of golf I play at.

Hey, people can do whatever makes them happy obviously, I'm just trying to think outside the box a little and challenge this perception that playing golf means you must strive for perfection whatever it takes.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When i played Cricket i used to get coached and work on my batting, i suppose in a similar way to golf, more that football or sim sports.

no lessons as such, but went on a bowling machine quite reg.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I tried some more drivers out today at American Golf. All went further than my current driver, but not as straight. I think a longer shaft is bringing more speed, but I'm losing accuracy as a result... Where I usually play, being straight is far more important than being long, so I think I will leave everything as it is for now :)

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do play competitively, in Sunday League. I can assure you we're not 'coached', lol. And before you say it's not a high enough level, it's probably equivalent to the level of golf I play at.

Hey, people can do whatever makes them happy obviously, I'm just trying to think outside the box a little and challenge this perception that playing golf means you must strive for perfection whatever it takes.

I partly agree with your argument but you will have been coached as a kid to control a ball, pass the ball, take a throw in, do kick up, dribble with the ball.