THE LIE DETECTOR

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
The game of golf lost one of its very best holes when the Applewood Golf Course closed down.

The 16th at Applewood, which was the #18 handicap hole, was nicknamed "The Lie Detector."

It was a perfectly flat 300 yard par 4. The fairway was wide enough to hit driver with impunity.
The unnecessarily large green was completely unprotected from the front.

300 yards, of course, was the distance to the middle of that green, not to the front edge.

Every golf course in the world should have an identical hole.
It made the loudest member of the group surprisingly quiet.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Basically all those who claim they hit it 300 yards will be found out because they're short of the green.

I don't know anyone who claims to hit it 300 yards though.

Wasn't clear whether he was talking about green size, wide fairway, no hazards. Pretty pointless post but thanks for clearing it up Orikoru.

I'll try harder next time. ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Wasn't clear whether he was talking about green size, wide fairway, no hazards. Pretty pointless post but thanks for clearing it up Orikoru.

Yeah it's a pretty arbitrary distance since it's a round number of three hundreds I guess. More often people just claim to hit it 20 or 30 yards longer than they do, irrespective of what number that ends up being.

D

Deleted member 1147

Do people claim to hit it 300 on average, or claim to be able to hit it 300?

I can hit it 300, and sometimes do, but I don’t hit it often. Some of my playing partners do regularly however.

It sounds like a very dull hole!

D

Deleted member 23344

My normal drive is only 180, but I once drove 360. There is a hole at Bletchingly in Surrey (16th??) which has a steep hill which starts downwards at about 200 yards from the tee. It was rock hard in the Summer and my usual 180 drive rolled to 200 ... and down and down the hill it rolled ... 360 according to my GPS watch! However, I don‘t claim I drive it 300+. ??

Chico84

Visit site
Crikey, people need to lighten up. All the OP is about is a light-hearted view on a wittily named hole that references a golfing in-joke. The righteous indignation (not sure this is quite the right term but it’s close enough to my meaning) that some have shown here is unnecessary. It’s just a friendly forum, relax.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Crikey, people need to lighten up. All the OP is about is a light-hearted view on a wittily named hole that references a golfing in-joke. The righteous indignation (not sure this is quite the right term but it’s close enough to my meaning) that some have shown here is unnecessary. It’s just a friendly forum, relax.
Seems to have touched a nerve then, so apt - both from both OP and hole name pov! :) Oh and I once drive 400 yards on a flat fairway - but with a hooley of a tail wind! (18th @ Luffness New).

Last edited:

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Reminds me when Skycaddies first came out. I had one, and one of my playing partners kept telling me “that thing's wrong mate” as his shots fell short, time and time again.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site

I claim to hit it that far but I guess the direction......