The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Me finding it sad and fans being passionate about other Clubs is totally unrelated, both things can quite happily co-exist.

Stressed fans at that side of the table before the season begins! Again, isn’t that a sad reflection of the gulf between the teams in the PL, almost 3 Leagues in one, personally I’d hope the fans of any team promoted would be excited and full of nervous energy for what awaits.

Using the Notts Forest example is the system currently helping those promoted? If you give Forest their points back, the bottom 3 are those that came up! Doesn’t sound very fair to me!

Any Club relegated will have an advantage going back to the Championship, more often than not we see some of those teams straight back, maybe we should stop the parachute payments?

How will ffp stop Everton going bust if we get relegated and our takeover collapses? Is it our fault for overspending or the PL for docking points?
I just think your perception doesn't actually match reality necessarily.

Since FFP began in 2013, we've had 10 Premier league seasons. Of the 30 clubs promoted each season, 13 teams have gone straight back down. Therefore, 57% of clubs have avoided relegation the season after they get promoted.

For the 10 years before FFP began, the figures were exactly the same. 13 of the 30 clubs got relegated the season after they were promoted. In the first 10 years of the PL, 12 of 34 clubs went straight back down (bit weird as the PL started out with 24 clubs). There has only been one season where all promoted clubs were relegated immediately, 1997/98.

Of the teams that have been promoted since FFP began, I would argue the following had established themselves for a reasonable period:

Crystal Palace
Leicester (until recently)
Bournemouth
Newcastle
Brighton
Wolves
Aston Villa
Brentford
Fulham

Even if I remove Leicester, Bournemouth and Fulham because they are either out of PL now, or yo-yoed a bit since first promotion (but doing well now), that is still 6 clubs that have established themselves. And maybe 8 clubs if you include Bournemouth and Fulham. That is 40% of the teams in the PL. But, clearly, you can't have every promoted side establish themselves year on year. Otherwise, after Year 1 you'd have 3 clubs starting to establish themselves, Year 2 6 clubs, Year 3 9 clubs, Year 4 12 clubs, etc.

It might even be argued that if FFP didn't exist at all, promoted teams would find it harder and harder to establish themselves, as they will be up against teams that have been able to spend freely with PL money for years before them.

Swango1980

Visit site
On the subject of Southgate, I am now going to mount a campaign to ensure that, despite my dislike for his conservatism, he remains England manager until he retires.

Then at least my club will be safe.

😈
Liverpool need a new manager. If he is that good, they should try and snap him up immediately. Maybe he is their second choice after Alonso, just in case he says yes to Bayern.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
There is probably a difference between somebody consuming all of their time and effort, shouting and screaming how they hate something, and maybe starting a campaign or starting legal action due to the pain and suffering it has allegedly caused them, and somebody simply saying "yeah, that was not a good idea, not a decision I would make" and then getting on with their everyday life :)

It might be more interesting to see whether the decision has any impact on shirt sales. Will they drop by 5%, or even increase by 5%? That might be a better overall metric to decide whether it was a good idea, rather than individual opinions.
I think the price will have a bigger impact on sales.

Swango1980

Visit site
Because if you buy the authentic shirt and are sat in the ground, you might just get a game if the team is one man short.🙄
I reckon my old school mate would do that. When we left for university, I asked him why he chose to go to Scotland. His reason was that he was more likely to get spotted by a football scout, while playing in a park, than in Northern Ireland. He was being serious.

I would add, he never played for a football team in N Ireland, he was poor and about 7 stone. Our school didn't play football, but if it did I reckon he'd struggle to get into a 4th team in our year group of about 120. So, I thought he was being massively optimistic. I was right, he never did get spotted by a scout. But, he does get to N Ireland games wearing his replica shirt, so at least he has never given up on his dream.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A baffling decision by the FA, and frankly a ludicrous bit of marketing speak from Nike.

Can’t say it bothers me one bit, since I am over 12 and therefore have no business wearing a football shirt.

Not the first time the cross has been re-imagined, this monstrosity wouldn’t be out of place for a church team.

IMG_0014.jpeg

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I reckon my old school mate would do that. When we left for university, I asked him why he chose to go to Scotland. His reason was that he was more likely to get spotted by a football scout, while playing in a park, than in Northern Ireland. He was being serious.

I would add, he never played for a football team in N Ireland, he was poor and about 7 stone. Our school didn't play football, but if it did I reckon he'd struggle to get into a 4th team in our year group of about 120. So, I thought he was being massively optimistic. I was right, he never did get spotted by a scout. But, he does get to N Ireland games wearing his replica shirt, so at least he has never given up on his dream.
Does he go in his boots or does he have them stuffed in his pockets, just in case?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because if you buy the authentic shirt and are sat in the ground, you might just get a game if the team is one man short.🙄
I was trying to figure out what the difference is. According to the official England store it's this..

'Stadium shirt' £85'ADV' Premium shirt £125
Nike Dri-FIT technology moves sweat away from your skin for quicker evaporation, helping you stay dry and comfortableNike Dri-FIT ADV technology combines moisture-wicking fabric with advanced engineering and features to help you stay dry and comfortable
Stadium collection pairs replica design details with sweat-wicking technology to give you a game-ready look inspired by your favourite teamAuthentic design details with lightweight, quick-drying technology to help keep you cool and comfortable on the field

I have to say, they really seem to have undersold the benefits there unless I'm missing something. 😄

If you go to the Nike website it tells you that the £85 shirt is made of 100% recycled polyester, while the £125 is made of 75% recycled polyester - not stated what the other 25% is.

Most unbelievably of all, the £125 option appears to have sold out in all but small size.

BiMGuy

Visit site
I was trying to figure out what the difference is. According to the official England store it's this..

'Stadium shirt' £85'ADV' Premium shirt £125
Nike Dri-FIT technology moves sweat away from your skin for quicker evaporation, helping you stay dry and comfortableNike Dri-FIT ADV technology combines moisture-wicking fabric with advanced engineering and features to help you stay dry and comfortable
Stadium collection pairs replica design details with sweat-wicking technology to give you a game-ready look inspired by your favourite teamAuthentic design details with lightweight, quick-drying technology to help keep you cool and comfortable on the field

I have to say, they really seem to have undersold the benefits there unless I'm missing something. 😄

If you go to the Nike website it tells you that the £85 shirt is made of 100% recycled polyester, while the £125 is made of 75% recycled polyester - not stated what the other 25% is.

Most unbelievably of all, the £125 option appears to have sold out in all but small size.
It’s an idiot tax.

RichA

Visit site
The faux outrage about the cross is daft. The military and emergency services have been wearing union flags with the colour scheme altered to match their uniform colour for years without it being an issue.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The faux outrage about the cross is daft. The military and emergency services have been wearing union flags with the colour scheme altered to match their uniform colour for years without it being an issue.
But there is a reason for that. Or do you think the players need to be camouflaged to sneak up on the opponents goal to score? 🤪

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
A lot of my ex-cop colleagues had these - nobody had any issue with it whatsoever. And there was no operational requirement for it to be recoloured.

IMG_9636.jpeg

RichA

Visit site
But there is a reason for that. Or do you think the players need to be camouflaged to sneak up on the opponents goal to score? 🤪
You think a paramedic or uniformed cop in a bright yellow reflective jacket is trying to avoid sniper fire by wearing a monochrome union flag badge?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s funny watching the people who call everyone else a snowflake or easily offended, being easily offended.

If this was aimed at me, you're incorrect.
I'm not offended, I just find it disgusting that they should change the national flag's colours.
I'm assuming it's not down to Nike, but someone from the FA who said this was okay.
I've not seen anybody who claims to be offended.
Maybe you're looking for something that isn't really there?
If it wasn't aimed at me, apologies for the above reply. (y)

BiMGuy

Visit site
If this was aimed at me, you're incorrect.
I'm not offended, I just find it disgusting that they should change the national flag's colours.
I'm assuming it's not down to Nike, but someone from the FA who said this was okay.
I've not seen anybody who claims to be offended.
Maybe you're looking for something that isn't really there?
If it wasn't aimed at me, apologies for the above reply. (y)
It wasn’t aimed at you at all 👍🏻

But there are lots of instances where the flags colour has been changed and no one was disgusted.

IMG_7177.jpegIMG_7176.jpegIMG_7175.jpegIMG_7174.jpegIMG_7173.png