The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
This is the big point. No one at all will dispute these 2 players being starters.

Mainoo is also in a position that England lack depth so his pathway in is clearer, you'd think post September that Hendo will retire from international and then Mainoo is the only real clear backup to Rice to hold.

But - I don't hear or see anyone who isn't a United fan calling for Mainoo now - but we do all agree on Rice and Bellingham.

It would be nice for someone to be playing so well that its just obvious who to pick. :ROFLMAO: Foden could play in the midfield but GS uses him more as a winger.

We could even see TAA in there if the timeline for his injury works out?
You are not looking hard enough. I don't think the likes of Gary Lineker or Ian Wright are Man Utd fans?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
During my frequent visits to Old Trafford over the years, if the game was a little dull (so lots of examples over the last decade) I often used to pick a player and watch what they did, with and without the ball.

I wisely chose Wayne Rooney the day he scored that thunderbolt volley against Newcastle in front of the Stretford End, and have similarly done it on occasion with Bruno Fernandes. His movement off the ball when he arrived at the club was a different level to anything I had seen in years.

Next time I’m there I’ll give it a spin with Mainoo. I try it when watching on TV but of course the camera doesn’t allow it to any great extent.

I’ll report back here and ensure I do so with complete impartiality 😉

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
You are not looking hard enough. I don't think the likes of Gary Lineker or Ian Wright are Man Utd fans?

They're not, but they're pundits who have also hyped up many players in the past who have been busts in the long run.

When someone really is that good - this isn't even a conversation.

Swango1980

Visit site
No, no riddle, just go back to the start of posts this morning, couple of us questioned Mainoo starting or even being in the England squad and 3 Man Utd supporters jumped on telling why he should be etc.

Nobody doubted his talent, yet you yourself questioned him saying “I'm not sure he will start, or even should start.”

The discussion was not about anybody else, just Mainoo.

Maybe it’s the Man Utd fans who need to a bit perspective, nobody is doubting the kid.
So, your are critical of Man Utd fans opinions if they say he should be in the squad, and also critical of them if they don'd demand he starts? I basically assume that you will not accept the opinion of a Man Utd fan regardless of what they say. Unless they say he is absolutely garbage, and should never play for England at all :)

It is Man Utd fans that will have watched him with a more critical eye than most, probably watched him over 90 mins for more games and know more about his development generally. I don't think Man Utd fans need any more perspective, they cannot be accused of not being critical of their own players, in a negative light, for the last few years. But, there is no escaping as to how good Mainoo has been since he started playing. He has been head and shoulders better than players like Bruno and McTomminay in terms of composure on the ball, and being disciplined in the middle of the park. I'd actually would not be surprised that Captain Bruno is looking at mainoo for inspiration rather than the other way round right now.

Swango1980

Visit site
They're not, but they're pundits who have also hyped up many players in the past who have been busts in the long run.

When someone really is that good - this isn't even a conversation.
Ahh, so on one hand it is only Man Utd fans that are calling for him to be included, because any non Man Utd fan that thinks he should be included doesn't count, as there is an excuse as to why they think that outside of football?

When I read the news yesterday, I said to by workmate "Mainoo has been called up to England". His response was "Nice one, well deserved". He supports Sheffield Wednesday, so what excuse does he have?

I don't expect any Liverpool fans to call for a Man Utd player to be called up the the England side to be honest. We even had one famous Liverpool fan in here telling us he should be nowhere near the squad, before telling us all that Liverpool's Bradley could get into Southgate's team (despite having already played 13 times for N Ireland since 2021). And I'm sure many other fans of PL clubs would rather see some of their players make the squad, rather than a player from Man Utd who everyone enjoys mocking when they are not successful.

That being said, since Mainoo has been called up, I've not heard too many voices in the media willing to come out and say he should be nowhere near the squad. Even if they'd prefer he wasn't in it, I think most people in the game, who actually watch a lot of games with a critical eye, know just how good he has been.

But, on one hand England fans demand players should be picked on form when they disagree with selections like Maguire, Rashford, Phillips. And on the other hand, form is irrelevant when a player is 18 years old and fans don't want him in the squad.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
So, your are critical of Man Utd fans opinions if they say he should be in the squad, and also critical of them if they don'd demand he starts? I basically assume that you will not accept the opinion of a Man Utd fan regardless of what they say. Unless they say he is absolutely garbage, and should never play for England at all :)

It is Man Utd fans that will have watched him with a more critical eye than most, probably watched him over 90 mins for more games and know more about his development generally. I don't think Man Utd fans need any more perspective, they cannot be accused of not being critical of their own players, in a negative light, for the last few years. But, there is no escaping as to how good Mainoo has been since he started playing. He has been head and shoulders better than players like Bruno and McTomminay in terms of composure on the ball, and being disciplined in the middle of the park. I'd actually would not be surprised that Captain Bruno is looking at mainoo for inspiration rather than the other way round right now.

Why the McTominay slander man! Hes actually half decent for you when you need him!

PaulMdj

Visit site

😂😂
Are you on a wind up? Maybe Man Utd fans should be less touchy when it comes to England, show less Club bias!

Every non Man Utd fan has praised him to the highest level.

As for the watching him bit, how many times this season have you watched him in a stadium? Or is it you’ve only seen him on telly like the rest of us!

PaulMdj

Visit site
Ahh, so on one hand it is only Man Utd fans that are calling for him to be included, because any non Man Utd fan that thinks he should be included doesn't count, as there is an excuse as to why they think that outside of football?

When I read the news yesterday, I said to by workmate "Mainoo has been called up to England". His response was "Nice one, well deserved". He supports Sheffield Wednesday, so what excuse does he have?

I don't expect any Liverpool fans to call for a Man Utd player to be called up the the England side to be honest. We even had one famous Liverpool fan in here telling us he should be nowhere near the squad, before telling us all that Liverpool's Bradley could get into Southgate's team (despite having already played 13 times for N Ireland since 2021). And I'm sure many other fans of PL clubs would rather see some of their players make the squad, rather than a player from Man Utd who everyone enjoys mocking when they are not successful.

That being said, since Mainoo has been called up, I've not heard too many voices in the media willing to come out and say he should be nowhere near the squad. Even if they'd prefer he wasn't in it, I think most people in the game, who actually watch a lot of games with a critical eye, know just how good he has been.

But, on one hand England fans demand players should be picked on form when they disagree with selections like Maguire, Rashford, Phillips. And on the other hand, form is irrelevant when a player is 18 years old and fans don't want him in the squad.
Even @Billysboots questioned if he’s only been called up to stop Ghana getting him.

Get over yourself, as for quoting other teams fans, my mates a Season Ticket holder at Old Trafford (Man Utd’s home ground) and was saying yesterday he’d rather Mainoo wasn’t called up in case he gets injured and wants him fresh for the run in! Best tell him he’s wrong!

Swango1980

Visit site
😂😂
Are you on a wind up? Maybe Man Utd fans should be less touchy when it comes to England, show less Club bias!

As for the watching him bit, how many times this season have you watched him in a stadium? Or is it you’ve only seen him on telly like the rest of us!
If you are only going to respect opinions from people who have been in a stadium, we might as well end this thread now. None of our views are valid, and even season ticket holders will only watch their own team week in, week out anyway.

But, England will have representatives that go to matches. They will be in the stadium. They will probably run through matches again and again on video, and focus on individual players, much more than we do. And, they have decided to pick Mainoo. I assume they haven't picked him because of what he brings to the dressing room. They haven't picked him because he is a huge character than has shown he can improve atmosphere of those around him, because he simply hasn't had a chance to show that yet. So, I assume they've picked him purely on the football they have seen him play.

Club bias? I've given all the praise in the world to the likes of Kane (best striker in the world in my opinion), Bellingham, Rice, Foden, etc. Yet, as soon as I dare to talk positively about a Man Utd player, then it is club bias. That is quite a lazy point to put forward in a debate. It is not like I am demanding Rashford gets into the starting 11.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
The reason Mainoo is getting the press is he is the only English, in form “proper” 6 in the league at the moment. Rice isn’t an out and out defensive mid, clearly neither is Bellingham (he’s anything but!)

Trent can’t play the lone 6 right now, and I have strong feelings he never will. In a 2, maybe. But on his own? Nah.

would I take Mainoo? I don’t know. I think this euros is probably too soon. But who is a better out and out English 6? I don’t think there is one, and therein lies the problem.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Is he on the back of your shirt by any chance? Jees...

He isn't an England starter for me yet, sorry but I wont be changing that opinion.

Certainly one for the future and good to give him some experience around the team at friendlies but I would not take him to the Euros end of.

My mate said "Oh brilliant, another United player shoehorned in by GS"

I bet plenty of Forest fans agree MGW deserves a call

Everyone has their own opinion, this is mine. Happy for the kid, must be a footballers dream, but United fans need to chill. Overhype happens far too much.

PaulMdj

Visit site
If you are only going to respect opinions from people who have been in a stadium, we might as well end this thread now. None of our views are valid, and even season ticket holders will only watch their own team week in, week out anyway.

But, England will have representatives that go to matches. They will be in the stadium. They will probably run through matches again and again on video, and focus on individual players, much more than we do. And, they have decided to pick Mainoo. I assume they haven't picked him because of what he brings to the dressing room. They haven't picked him because he is a huge character than has shown he can improve atmosphere of those around him, because he simply hasn't had a chance to show that yet. So, I assume they've picked him purely on the football they have seen him play.

Club bias? I've given all the praise in the world to the likes of Kane (best striker in the world in my opinion), Bellingham, Rice, Foden, etc. Yet, as soon as I dare to talk positively about a Man Utd player, then it is club bias. That is quite a lazy point to put forward in a debate. It is not like I am demanding Rashford gets into the starting 11.
Seriously! Just stop, Mainoo is a fantastic talent, everbody agrees, fans of all Clubs!

The questioning is whether the timing is right to be called up to the squad!

Swango1980

Visit site
Even @Billysboots questioned if he’s only been called up to stop Ghana getting him.

Get over yourself, as for quoting other teams fans, my mates a Season Ticket holder at Old Trafford (Man Utd’s home ground) and was saying yesterday he’d rather Mainoo wasn’t called up in case he gets injured and wants him fresh for the run in! Best tell him he’s wrong!
I'd disagree with that. If that was the case, they'd have picked him in the first place.

And, if Mainoo had any desire to play for Ghana, I'm not sure he'd be stupid enough to say Yes to England in a friendly match without thinking of the implications of not being able to play for Ghana. And, if he wants to play for England, even if he wasn't selected in this squad, I seriously don't believe he'd go in a sulk and immediately request to get a call up for Ghana. He has played for England at U17, U18 and U19 level, so I suspect he sees himself as English. If he wasn;t called up for England at the age of 24/25, then maybe Ghana would become a more interesting option for him.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I'd disagree with that. If that was the case, they'd have picked him in the first place.

And, if Mainoo had any desire to play for Ghana, I'm not sure he'd be stupid enough to say Yes to England in a friendly match without thinking of the implications of not being able to play for Ghana. And, if he wants to play for England, even if he wasn't selected in this squad, I seriously don't believe he'd go in a sulk and immediately request to get a call up for Ghana. He has played for England at U17, U18 and U19 level, so I suspect he sees himself as English. If he wasn;t called up for England at the age of 24/25, then maybe Ghana would become a more interesting option for him.
What! 2 different opinions on the Mainoo situation from Utd Fans😱

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

To be fair, that was balanced with a list including several names who are perhaps not at the same level as Mainoo. I think it may have been that one post which fuelled the disagreement, but we’ve moved on.

Anyway, if the course has dried out I’m off for a few holes now. By the time I return I’m hoping Mainoo will have been named the new England captain 😉