The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
'So many' is a big shout ........................................ care to name them?

Any 3 of:

Henderson
Rice
Bellingham
Maddison
Ward-Prowse
Barkley
Gallagher
Palmer
Jones
Gibbs White
Elliot

Shall I continue or??

Every player named above has proved their place far more than Mainoo whos doing alright for a 6th place team.

Players he can start over:

Phillips

And I've not even named a Villa player just for fun, I'm not biased, I want the best options available and as of yet, he is not one.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Any 3 of:

Henderson
Rice
Bellingham
Maddison
Ward-Prowse
Barkley
Gallagher
Palmer
Jones
Gibbs White
Elliot

Shall I continue or??

Every player named above has proved their place far more than Mainoo whos doing alright for a 6th place team.

Phillips

And I've not even named a Villa player just for fun, I'm not biased, I want the best options available and as of yet, he is not one.
👏👏👏👏👏

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any 3 of:

Henderson
Rice
Bellingham
Maddison
Ward-Prowse
Barkley
Gallagher
Palmer
Jones
Gibbs White
Elliot

Shall I continue or??

Phillips

You started the list with Henderson ............................. really?
As I said earlier, I'd have him with Rice and Bellingham, but he'd be above all the others, possibly with the exception of Maddison.
The others, no, not a chance.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
You started the list with Henderson ............................. really?
As I said earlier, I'd have him with Rice and Bellingham, but he'd be above all the others, possibly with the exception of Maddison.
The others, no, not a chance.

Take off your united glasses.

Every single player, Hendo included, on my list is a proven talent. Granted Palmer is probably the most unproven but hes done more this season than Mainoo.

You really think that magically after 16 games, in which you are not top of the table and undefeated, means that Mainoo is better than all of these options for the third place in midfield? 16 games in a mediocre united side that couldn't even get out of their CL group?

Give your head a wobble.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Any 3 of:

Henderson
Rice
Bellingham
Maddison
Ward-Prowse
Barkley
Gallagher
Palmer
Jones
Gibbs White
Elliot

Shall I continue or??

Phillips

Oh, come on. You’ve added names to that list just to pad it out and try and prove a point. Ward-Prowse, Barkley, Jones, Elliott, Gibbs-White and Henderson? Really?

Sorry to say it, but I’m afraid I’m going to have to largely dismiss the negativity towards Mainoo here on the basis that it either comes from those who either cannot abide the club he plays for, or who have never actually watched him play. Or possibly both.

There are very good reasons why the coaching staff at United have been raving about this lad. Take the blinkers off, watch him play and you might just see what I mean.

He won’t start at the Euros. Probably won’t make a 23 man squad under the management of Mr Ultra Conservative. But he more than deserves his place in a squad for these two friendlies, and is a far, far more exciting prospect than some of the names on your list.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Oh, come on. You’ve added names to that list just to pad it out and try and prove a point. Ward-Prowse, Barkley, Jones, Elliott, Gibbs-White and Henderson? Really?

Sorry to say it, but I’m afraid I’m going to have to largely dismiss the negativity towards Mainoo here on the basis that it either comes from those who either cannot abide the club he plays for, or who have never actually watched him play. Or possibly both.

There are very good reasons why the coaching staff at United have been raving about this lad. Take the blinkers off, watch him play and you might just see what I mean.

He won’t start at the Euros. Probably won’t make a 23 man squad under the management of Mr Ultra Conservative. But he more than deserves his place in a squad for these two friendlies, and is a far, far more exciting prospect than some of the names on your list.

You're discrediting some seriously talented footballers there at a whim.

There are very good reasons why the coaching staff at Forest rave about Gibbs-White mate, watch him play and take off your blinkers...

Elliot and Jones are both playing for a team battling for top 3....

Ward-Prowse is criminally underrated

Barkley is playing better football that 90% of the midfielders in the premier league this season

Henderson has been a stalwart of Southgate sides and actually, hes still a top quality player - I dont like him but he is.

PaulMdj

Visit site

Why does he deserve his place? He’s a late call up for a start.

He was superb at Goodison when you beat us 3-0 and in other games he’s stood out and also been a bit part player. Sunday being a prime example, he, along with the rest of the Utd team went missing at times and was excellent at others.

Absolutely talented, but ready for full International level, nope, not yet for me and it’s nothing to do with who he plays for as this season Elliott at Lpool has been head and shoulders above him.

Part of me actually thinks he may get 5-10 minutes in one of the games to secure him for England in the future.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'd rather see an 18-year old with potential given a run in the England side than most of the other regulars who have extensively proved that they aren't world class talents.

In a friendly yes, of course...

At the Euros id personally rather start an experienced head to surround the young talent that we have.

Billysboots

Visit site

There are very good reasons why the coaching staff at Forest rave about Gibbs-White mate, watch him play and take off your blinkers...

Barkley is playing better football that 90% of the midfielders in the premier league this season

Henderson has been a stalwart of Southgate sides and actually, hes still a top quality player - I dont like him but he is.

Elliott and Jones would not start at Liverpool without their injury list. And I’m less than convinced they would start ahead of Mainoo if they were United players.

Gibbs-White? Not dismissing him, he’s had a fantastic season at Forest. Certainly played extremely well against us. And Ward-Prowse is another good player.

But I’m just not convinced their all round games are at the same sort of level. A good number of pundits are describing Mainoo as a generational talent. His all round game is just ridiculous for a lad his age and with his relative inexperience.

His debut at Everton was phenomenal, but I tried to not get too carried away based on a first game. He had a calmness about him which was totally at odds with his place in life and the game. But he has carried that on. It’s difficult to see where he has a weakness.

If I was a gambling man, Southgate has added him to this squad to make sure he is introduced to the international fold before Ghana come calling for him. We cannot allow him to slip through our fingers and represent them.

Swango1980

Visit site

Your arguments are all over the place here. When arguing against Mainoo, you said

"You really think that magically after 16 games, in which you are not top of the table and undefeated, means that Mainoo is better than all of these options for the third place in midfield? 16 games in a mediocre united side that couldn't even get out of their CL group?"

So, you are basically discrediting him because of the performances of the side he plays for. Then, you immediately start praising players who play for clubs like Luton and Nottingham Forest!!!!!

Mainoo had a massively impressive pre-season, and then got a lengthy injury that kept him out for a few months. He didn't feature in the failed Champions League campaign until after the damage was done. His 2nd game for the club was away at Galatasary, and then the final game against Bayern Munich. So, pinning the blame on him for the clubs performances, thus ruling him out for a call up, is ridiculous. Especially as it was Onana that was pretty much throwing the ball into the net for many games.

Having watched every Man Utd game, and obviously having a much more critical eye on individual performances as a fan, all I can say is that Mainoo has been immense. I keep telling myself he cannot be as good as I'm seeing, and then he just delivers time and time again. His ability on the ball is ridiculously good. And, people within the game will know a hell of a lot more than I do, as they will have seen and heard of him coming up through the ranks, including at what he has done at the various England levels he has played in.

I'm not sure he will start, or even should start. But, he is miles better than Henderson in my opinion, who I expect will start. But, I think it is great that Mainoo will train with the likes of Rice, Bellingham, Kane, etc. He is going to be an England player for years to come, and so getting himself around those players must be considered a really good thing.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Elliott and Jones would not start at Liverpool without their injury list. And I’m less than convinced they would start ahead of Mainoo if they were United players.

Gibbs-White? Not dismissing him, he’s had a fantastic season at Forest. Certainly played extremely well against us. And Ward-Prowse is another good player.

But I’m just not convinced their all round games are at the same sort of level. A good number of pundits are describing Mainoo as a generational talent. His all round game is just ridiculous for a lad his age and with his relative inexperience.

His debut at Everton was phenomenal, but I tried to not get too carried away based on a first game. He had a calmness about him which was totally at odds with his place in life and the game. But he has carried that on. It’s difficult to see where he has a weakness.

If I was a gambling man, Southgate has added him to this squad to make sure he is introduced to the international fold before Ghana come calling for him. We cannot allow him to slip through our fingers and represent them.

He's one for the future if he keeps progressing and I agree that we should try and lock him in (although players do still deviate to other international sides - just not british) lets not forget how many players get this same pundit hype and never live up to expectation.

Could be a starter by the World Cup

But for me now, he's not in my 23 man Euros squad. Absolutely part of my team from September onwards building towards the World Cup so long as he keeps playing and progressing. Id also expect a generation of players to cease to be selected at this point - Hendo being one.

PaulMdj

Visit site
So a couple of people have posted they are not sure Mainoo should be in the current England Team, complimented the lad and agreed he is one for the future.

The Man Utd fans, one mentions bias as a reason, both saying they’re not sure he should or will start and may even be a ploy to secure his England future.

So, just exactly what is the question? As every seems to be agreeing he’s an exciting prospect who’s not in the first England XI.

Billysboots

Visit site
He's one for the future if he keeps progressing and I agree that we should try and lock him in (although players do still deviate to other international sides - just not british) lets not forget how many players get this same pundit hype and never live up to expectation.

Could be a starter by the World Cup

But for me now, he's not in my 23 man Euros squad. Absolutely part of my team from September onwards building towards the World Cup so long as he keeps playing and progressing. Id also expect a generation of players to cease to be selected at this point - Hendo being one.

I think we actually agree in many respects. I don’t think Mainoo will make a 23 man squad. Southgate’s options are more limited with that number of players and we all know he will go with his safe options.

I always think there is space in a tournament squad for a bit of a wildcard. Someone that little bit different, and certainly someone who does not seem overawed by his surroundings. And, for me, Mainoo is just that little bit different.

But if there’s one thing experience has taught us all, it’s that the current England manager has his favourite go-to players, and he will not alter his stance on picking them repeatedly regardless of club form, or even if they are playing.

That factor alone means that Mainoo will be watching the Euros from the comfort of his sofa.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I think we actually agree in many respects. I don’t think Mainoo will make a 23 man squad. Southgate’s options are more limited with that number of players and we all know he will go with his safe options.

I always think there is space in a tournament squad for a bit of a wildcard. Someone that little bit different, and certainly someone who does not seem overawed by his surroundings. And, for me, Mainoo is just that little bit different.

But if there’s one thing experience has taught us all, it’s that the current England manager has his favourite go-to players, and he will not alter his stance on picking them repeatedly regardless of club form, or even if they are playing.

That factor alone means that Mainoo will be watching the Euros from the comfort of his sofa.

The wildcard is Hendo. We all know that. :ROFLMAO: Watching him last week, he's still got the legs and determination for one more England tournament. He may not be fancy but he's consistent and a leader.

If Southgate plans to play 2 holders - then Mainoo may have to go. Phillips surely surely surely cant be selected now!?

Swango1980

Visit site
So a couple of people have posted they are not sure Mainoo should be in the current England Team, complimented the lad and agreed he is one for the future.

The Man Utd fans, one mentions bias as a reason, both saying they’re not sure he should or will start and may even be a ploy to secure his England future.

So, just exactly what is the question? As every seems to be agreeing he’s an exciting prospect who’s not in the first England XI.
I'm not sure what you are saying, is it a riddle?

We can all pick players we think should be in the England squad of over 20 players. That doesn't mean we will back that up by saying all 23-25 players should be in the starting 11.

Pick other players, rather than just Mainoo. I think Toney and Watkins should be in the squad, and they could play well in the starting 11. But, clearly you'd have Kane ahead of them. I think Grealish could quite easily play on the left, and would not be surprised to see him there at times. Or, even Rashford or Gordon, depending on what the game needs. But, I think Foden will play there, and no complaints from me, he is class.

I think Mainoo could easily play in the England first 11. But, some would argue that in games England should easily win, maybe it only needs Rice, and then maybe have Bellingham and Maddison. However, given Rice looks to be attacking more at club level, perhaps you could have Mainoo and Rice with Bellingham. Of course, I think we all expect Southgate will have Henderson in there. Rice and Bellingham are 100% starters.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

We can all pick players we think should be in the England squad of over 20 players. That doesn't mean we will back that up by saying all 23-25 players should be in the starting 11.

Pick other players, rather than just Mainoo. I think Toney and Watkins should be in the squad, and they could play well in the starting 11. But, clearly you'd have Kane ahead of them. I think Grealish could quite easily play on the left, and would not be surprised to see him there at times. Or, even Rashford or Gordon, depending on what the game needs. But, I think Foden will play there, and no complaints from me, he is class.

I think Mainoo could easily play in the England first 11. But, some would argue that in games England should easily win, maybe it only needs Rice, and then maybe have Bellingham and Maddison. However, given Rice looks to be attacking more at club level, perhaps you could have Mainoo and Rice with Bellingham. Of course, I think we all expect Southgate will have Henderson in there. Rice and Bellingham are 100% starters.

This is the big point. No one at all will dispute these 2 players being starters.

Mainoo is also in a position that England lack depth so his pathway in is clearer, you'd think post September that Hendo will retire from international and then Mainoo is the only real clear backup to Rice to hold.

But - I don't hear or see anyone who isn't a United fan calling for Mainoo now - but we do all agree on Rice and Bellingham.

It would be nice for someone to be playing so well that its just obvious who to pick. :ROFLMAO: Foden could play in the midfield but GS uses him more as a winger.

We could even see TAA in there if the timeline for his injury works out?

PaulMdj

Visit site

No, no riddle, just go back to the start of posts this morning, couple of us questioned Mainoo starting or even being in the England squad and 3 Man Utd supporters jumped on telling why he should be etc.

Nobody doubted his talent, yet you yourself questioned him saying “I'm not sure he will start, or even should start.”

The discussion was not about anybody else, just Mainoo.

Maybe it’s the Man Utd fans who need to a bit perspective, nobody is doubting the kid.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely Stones would be used ahead of him, as Pep uses him. This tournament has come too soon for him.

Presumably he is playing for the U21's. That is the place for him now.