The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site

The man truly is odious. Sure, he's all cuddly-wuddly, flashing his pearly whites and being gracious and humble when he wins or when things are otherwise going his way. The second he's unhappy though, the mask comes off, the true snake in the grass beneath is revealed and the toys get chucked out the pram as per this video. Great manager. Awful human being.

That tweet is correct - the main English media outlets won't make anything of this. It doesn't fit the vomit-inducing narrative they love to peddle about "Klopp's farewell tour" and that no-one cares about other than Liverpool fans.

Swango1980

Visit site
I heard the Why is to keep sponsors happy… a player scores, the camera zooms in on him, sponsors logo front and centre, worldwide exposure. Only if he’s whirling it about his head the moment is lost.
I suspect that is an urban myth. I can't imagine companies like Team Viewer or Adidas would threaten to not invest in a football club if a player ever took off the shirt when celebrating, nor go running to the football authorities to demand they change the rules to order yellow cards if it ever happened. And, imagine the backlash on the football authorities if people ever found out the rules of the game were written specifically to make sponsors happen, rather than purely for the integrity of the game. They have enough criticism to deal with, rather than potential accusations of being bribed by sponsors

PaulMdj

Visit site
From the rule book:
A player must be cautioned, even if the goal is disallowed, for:

• Climbing onto a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues
  • Acting in a provocative, derisory or inflammatory way
  • Covering the head or face with a mask or other similar item
  • Removing the shirt or covering the head with the shirt

Swango1980

Visit site
From the rule book:
A player must be cautioned, even if the goal is disallowed, for:

• Climbing onto a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues
  • Acting in a provocative, derisory or inflammatory way
  • Covering the head or face with a mask or other similar item
  • Removing the shirt or covering the head with the shirt
That would have ended Ravenelli's career

Swango1980

Visit site
Great example on Talksport today how pundits can over-exaggerate and potentially inflame the view of listeners, to the detriment of officials (or players / managers at times).

Stelling and Phil Thompson were discussing the second yellow card for Amad yesterday, and saying it was ridiculous getting yellow cards for that. This I agree with.

However, Phil Thompson went too far. He said that as soon as Amad took his shirt off, he could see the referees eyes light up, and could tell he was thinking this was a great chance to make a name for himself and send him off. What an atrocious thing for a paid pundit to say about an official, especially as some morons will believe him and think the ref should be abused for such thinking. Clearly, the ref had 100% no choice but to send him off, and I'd imagine he probably felt uncomfortable having to do so in such circumstances. But, had he not sent him off, then what a dangerous bar that would set off in the future, for referees using subjectivity in booking players or not for the same offence.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great example on Talksport today how pundits can over-exaggerate and potentially inflame the view of listeners, to the detriment of officials (or players / managers at times).

Stelling and Phil Thompson were discussing the second yellow card for Amad yesterday, and saying it was ridiculous getting yellow cards for that. This I agree with.

However, Phil Thompson went too far. He said that as soon as Amad took his shirt off, he could see the referees eyes light up, and could tell he was thinking this was a great chance to make a name for himself and send him off. What an atrocious thing for a paid pundit to say about an official, especially as some morons will believe him and think the ref should be abused for such thinking. Clearly, the ref had 100% no choice but to send him off, and I'd imagine he probably felt uncomfortable having to do so in such circumstances. But, had he not sent him off, then what a dangerous bar that would set off in the future, for referees using subjectivity in booking players or not for the same offence.
He would also get hammered by the refs assessor, lose marks, may not get a game next week. They have a no choice in that, it's a black and white decision.

Really poor punditry from Thompson, a cheap shot (I didn't hear it but going off your post)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Totally agree, pundits and media spend hours every day picking apart and demonising refs and officials then are all about complaining about ref abuse when people take their message too far.

Swango1980

Visit site
He would also get hammered by the refs assessor, lose marks, may not get a game next week. They have a no choice in that, it's a black and white decision.

Really poor punditry from Thompson, a cheap shot (I didn't hear it but going off your post)
Yeah. Just so you don't think I'm over-exaggerating, watch the clip below from Time 5:25

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I heard it and thought Thompson was trying to sound all edgy and controversial. The man is an absolute grade one pillock. Couldn’t abide him on Soccer Saturday and can’t stand him now.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also don't understand why, after scoring, players now run towards the corner flag, drop to their knees and slide along. Never used to happen. So what started it? And why do footballers follow a 'trend' like sheep.
That’s a nightmare to repair.
It’s the laces on the boots just drag the grass out.
We spend ages fixing the gouges.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting to see if they appeal, on what counts, and whether the PL have learnt from the Everton appeal. Any point they can claim back now could be vital.

I don't think Everton have had their second hearing yet, the PL are really pushing it to the wire there.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well 4 points. Could have been better, could have been worse. Hopefully reduced on appeal.
It's still within your hands at that level of fine. Any more could have been a real blow but even without winning some back on appeal this shouldn't be a devastating moment. It doesn't stop you from going down but you are only one point from safety with 9 games left. That's in your own hands still.

I'm expecting Everton to lose a few points again, the PL seem keen on it :rolleyes: , so it will be silly close between Luton, Forest and Everton, Brentford just being on the edge of trouble

Swango1980

Visit site
I've lost interest in the relegation fight at this time. Just no point in taking an interest in any of the games these teams play, as nobody has any idea who will get docked points, and how many points they will be docked. Maybe once everything is finalised, the things will be interesting again, from a fans perspective.

I might as well put a bet on both Burnley and Sheffield Utd staying up, as maybe there is still a chance 3 other teams will get big enough points deductions to get them relegated.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Apprently Everton's overspend was £19.5 mill and 10 points reduced to 6, Forests was £35 mill but 6 points reduced by 2 to 4 due to co-operation, it does feel a little like they are out to get us.