The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
I think we should give him a break, now we know that it has all just become too much for him to cope with.

Probably would have been best for his health if he walked away immediately, but I guess that was never an option. Football management isn't the sort of profession you can just take time off for stress.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I thought that.
But if you don’t book him for that,how can you book someone next week for doing it in the 15th min?
Amazes me that players still do it.
I if was a manager I’d say if you get booked for taking your shirt off it’s a wk wages. It’s just a silly way to get a yellow & be on a tightrope for the rest of the game.
Yes but what’s the reason for it.
Was said a while ago you can’t bear your chest.
But players wear compression tops underneath.

So anyone know why it’s a booking.?

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Not sure of the reason for it,but it’s there.
I think players like Ronaldo & Salah do it for vanity reasons.
But they all know it’s a yellow so 🤷‍♂️

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

It is a stupid thing to do, not sure why they still do it. They claim it is spontaneous but players never used to do it so it is now a stupid craze that should be stopped. On a similar subject , all pre planned ‘celebrations’ should be punished - maybe Dele Ali would have scored more if he practiced scoring instead of celebrations 🤣

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

In a way, the why is irrelevant. We all know it's there as a rule so don't do it. Plenty of other ways to celebrate. Players managed for decades without doing it (bellies were a bit saggier back then 😄. Can you imagine Jan Molby whipping his shirt off 😳)

As PJ above states, it was about reducing time wasting originally.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In a way, the why is irrelevant. We all know it's there as a rule so don't do it. Plenty of other ways to celebrate. Players managed for decades without doing it (bellies were a bit saggier back then 😄. Can you imagine Jan Molby whipping his shirt off 😳)

Ok serves him right then.😉

Swango1980

Visit site

The reason of wasting time is a bit outdated. Firstly, the referee should be adding that time on anyway. Secondly, there are plenty of other celebrations that take longer. Thirdly, if VAR is taking 5 minutes to check an offside or handball, it's nonsense booking a player for taking their shirt off and putting it on again inside a minute.

So, if the yellow card is given for that reason, and that reason only, it should be scrapped.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The reason of wasting time is a bit outdated. Firstly, the referee should be adding that time on anyway. Secondly, there are plenty of other celebrations that take longer. Thirdly, if VAR is taking 5 minutes to check an offside or handball, it's nonsense booking a player for taking their shirt off and putting it on again inside a minute.

So, if the yellow card is given for that reason, and that reason only, it should be scrapped.
Yes it’s an entertainment game after all.

PaulMdj

Visit site

Maybe you could try using that mindset when it comes to hats in the Clubhouse.🤪

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also don't understand why, after scoring, players now run towards the corner flag, drop to their knees and slide along. Never used to happen. So what started it? And why do footballers follow a 'trend' like sheep.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe you could try using that mindset when it comes to hats in the Clubhouse.🤪
Ah, but we are allowed to see it as the nonsense it is though :LOL: . It's healthy to question why, whilst still following the rules. Hats in clubhouses, shirts off after scoring. You can question why whilst doing what the rule say. If enough people question it, eventually someone in charge might go, 'you know what, this is daft, we will change it' ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I wouldn't disagree. Until then, keep your shirt on or take the yellow card 🤷‍♀️. Players can not be unaware of the rule, they know what will happen.

When it first came out I thought part of the reasoning was about modesty in a chunk of the Asian market, FIFA wanting rules that applied to all. I can't seem to find that now so maybe that was just an aside?

PaulMdj

Visit site
Ah, but we are allowed to see it as the nonsense it is though :LOL: . It's healthy to question why, whilst still following the rules. Hats in clubhouses, shirts off after scoring. You can question why whilst doing what the rule say. If enough people question it, eventually someone in charge might go, 'you know what, this is daft, we will change it' ;)
They do it (whatever “it” is) because they can, I think one of the reasons for clamping down on some celebrations was to stop opposition fans getting wound up and trouble breaking out.

Pretending to fire weapons is one such example and there was talk last week about UEFA taking action against Foden and his bow and arrow celebration.🤷‍♂️

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

I heard the Why is to keep sponsors happy… a player scores, the camera zooms in on him, sponsors logo front and centre, worldwide exposure. Only if he’s whirling it about his head the moment is lost.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They do it (whatever “it” is) because they can, I think one of the reasons for clamping down on some celebrations was to stop opposition fans getting wound up and trouble breaking out.

Pretending to fire weapons is one such example and there was talk last week about UEFA taking action against Foden and his bow and arrow celebration.🤷‍♂️
Ah, the incitement concept. I get that, very valid, but then do you have to have a line for each new celebration? Should we only have approved ones :ROFLMAO:.

Anything involving weapons is pretty stupid, even if it is meant in innocence.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Ah, the incitement concept. I get that, very valid, but then do you have to have a line for each new celebration? Should we only have approved ones :ROFLMAO:.

Anything involving weapons is pretty stupid, even if it is meant in innocence.
Modern Footballers mate, need it for clicks and likes on social media😂😂

Swango1980

Visit site
I wouldn't disagree. Until then, keep your shirt on or take the yellow card 🤷‍♀️. Players can not be unaware of the rule, they know what will happen.

When it first came out I thought part of the reasoning was about modesty in a chunk of the Asian market, FIFA wanting rules that applied to all. I can't seem to find that now so maybe that was just an aside?
Not sure it is to do with modesty, otherwise they'd have to book players walking around topless after the match