The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lose 1-4 getting applauded off the pitch our goalkeeper was outstanding , Bentancur was so close to getting it to 2-2, crazy game.

We were brilliant first 15 min. had Chelsea for the taking , stupidly the sendings off cost us the game.
Chelsea were very poor especially most of the time when we were down to nine men.

Crowd appreciated the players never giving up

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I expect we just haven't been trained to play that way. Ange only knows one way to play. I can't knock him, it was great to watch and nearly worked for us, despite the two brain farts and the injuries.
Great attitude from those left on pitch agreed. Just think the second half tactics gave Chelsea a way out as they were clueless.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
With 10/9 men you have to be narrow, compact and try to attack on the counter attack and take your chances then. To keep plodding on with the high line was playing into Chelsea’s hands.

I wanted him to do exactly what he did.
Football isn't black and white, there's never just one way to play when you go down to nine men. The fact is you're most likely in for a hiding either way, Ange obviously felt sod that, Chelsea aren't very good, we can still get some joy if we have a go. We had three great chances for a 2-2 so it very nearly paid off. Ultimately we lose the game, but we had two brainless idiots get sent off so you expect to lose the game.

D

Deleted member 1740

How’s that. 9 men fought superbly. Score line doesn’t reflect it. Chelsea clueless.
The most dangerous balls to defend are those in behind. Chelsea knew they only had to keep playing balls in behind and they’d score. Any top manager would stop that.

Drop 15yards, stay compact , keep the ball in front of you as it’s easier to defend and try to attack on the counter.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Football isn't black and white, there's never just one way to play when you go down to nine men. The fact is you're most likely in for a hiding either way, Ange obviously felt sod that, Chelsea aren't very good, we can still get some joy if we have a go. We had three great chances for a 2-2 so it very nearly paid off. Ultimately we lose the game, but we had two brainless idiots get sent off so you expect to lose the game.
But it wouldn't have paid off...even at 2-2, defending the half way line the way you did you'd have gifted Chelsea many more chances.

The writing was on the wall from the first half....Spurs got lucky that, in the first half, Sterling couldn't time his runs for toffee and the players behind him kept delaying their through balls. Four five or six times this happened and Spurs simply didnt learn. Eventually Chelsea got their act together and started timing runs better....and from then on only one thing was going to happen.

D

Deleted member 1740

But what you don’t do is leave 50yards of space against a team with quick attackers!!

Cast your mind back to how Klopp changed his tactics against Spurs only a few weeks ago, Spurs had loads of the ball but Liverpool frustrated them and only by a massive slice of luck Spurs got the winner.
I didn’t think the Udogie 1st yellow was deserved, Sterling sold the ref that one.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But what you don’t do is leave 50yards of space against a team with quick attackers!!

Cast your mind back to how Klopp changed his tactics against Spurs only a few weeks ago, Spurs had loads of the ball but Liverpool frustrated them and only by a massive slice of luck Spurs got the winner.
I didn’t think the Udogie 1st yellow was deserved, Sterling sold the ref that one.

You mean the second yellow. He was very lucky not to get a red for the first yellow, when he should’ve

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I thought before the game this was a real test to see what level Spurs are at.

Never thought after losing 1-4 I would be encouraged by the performance.

Chelsea’s win masked how poor they are and Spurs come away with more credit.
More worried that Romero will miss games and two of our best players are injured.

D

Deleted member 1740

You mean the second yellow. He was very lucky not to get a red for the first yellow, when he should’ve
No the 1st he won the ball and Sterling dived/feigned injury, from the replays I seen he never touched Sterling. If he catches Sterling then that’s a yellow.

In all honesty the 2nd didn’t deserve a yellow neither. Yes stupid tackle and a foul all day long but definitely not worth a yellow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I don’t mind playing that high line to try and get something out of the game, we were very close to getting it to 2-2.
It was a high risk strategy that didn’t pay off.

I would much rather have watched that than sitting back for most of the second half and most likely loosing anyway.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No the 1st he won the ball and Sterling dived/feigned injury, from the replays I seen he never touched Sterling. If he catches Sterling then that’s a yellow.

In all honesty the 2nd didn’t deserve a yellow neither. Yes stupid tackle and a foul all day long but definitely both worth a yellow.
That's a strange take. I think most would say with the modern rules he was lucky not to get a red for the first challenge. He's gone to ground with two feet, won the ball but that doesn't matter if you're reckless and out of control these days. Second one definite yellow, stupid tackle when you're on a card already.

Thought Ange's interview was fantastic. He spoke about how we need to accept ref's decisions or what we end up with is enormous VAR delays and the refs having no authority to award anything. Contrast that with Arteta's embarrassing rant the other day.

D

Deleted member 1740

I don’t mind playing that high line to try and get something out of the game, we were very close to getting it to 2-2.
It was a high risk strategy that didn’t pay off.

I would much rather have watched that than sitting back for most of the second half and most likely loosing anyway.
You’re missing the point. At 1-1 you don’t need to to score, so keep it tight, frustrate the opposition and as they open up more then counter attack.

That Chelsea side is one of the worst we’ve seen in a long time. They only had balls in behind and pacy attackers. Stop that and they wouldn’t have scored, even against 9 men.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's a strange take. I think most would say with the modern rules he was lucky not to get a red for the first challenge. He's gone to ground with two feet, won the ball but that doesn't matter if you're reckless and out of control these days. Second one definite yellow, stupid tackle when you're on a card already.

Thought Ange's interview was fantastic. He spoke about how we need to accept ref's decisions or what we end up with is enormous VAR delays and the refs having no authority to award anything. Contrast that with Arteta's embarrassing rant the other day.
Here's the link for those that didn't see it. What a man.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You’re missing the point. At 1-1 you don’t need to to score, so keep it tight, frustrate the opposition and as they open up more then counter attack.

That Chelsea side is one of the worst we’ve seen in a long time. They only had balls in behind and pacy attackers. Stop that and they wouldn’t have scored, even against 9 men.
We've learned that Ange isn't happy with a draw in any circumstance, it's win or bust.

D

Deleted member 1740

I disagree. He doesn’t make contact with Sterling for the 1st one, if there’s no contact it can’t be reckless. The 2nd is still only a foul, irrespective if he’s on a card or not. Not every foul is a yellow card. We accept these types of 2nd yellows because they’ve been wrongly given in recent years.