The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah because it can be a disadvantage to the attacking team.
Correct. IIRC, most of this 10yards advancement was in and around the penalty area, often bringing the free-kicks too close to goal as opposed to the "optimum" ~25y distance. I didn't like it as football isn't really about territory as much as it is in rugby.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Correct. IIRC, most of this 10yards advancement was in and around the penalty area, often bringing the free-kicks too close to goal as opposed to the "optimum" ~25y distance. I didn't like it as football isn't really about territory as much as it is in rugby.
Yes - in rugby you just need to get to the end of the pitch without passing it forwards so it obvious how moving ten yards forward is an advantage. In football it made half the free kicks less dangerous by reducing the angles.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
So...there were the following involved...

VAR
Assistant VAR
Replay Operator
Referee
Assistant Referee 1
Assistant Referee 2

No wonder they buggered it all up...all them voices going on.

Surely it should have been...

Referee: "on-pitch decision is offside please check"
VAR: "reverse your decision, Diaz was not offside"

instead we have all "delay delay", "check complete that's perfect" talking in code like they are a couple of truckers operating a CB conversation and no clear lines of communication between anyone. A classic example of people talking so much but saying so little.

Farcical.

Last edited:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not impressed by that PGMOL statement. It’s essentially distraction and trying to sweep away the issue on vague future promises.

I’d like to hear what happened after the incident because while it’s one thing to hear the mistake (that we all knew had occurred) the bigger problem is the inaction they then chose to take.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not impressed by that PGMOL statement. It’s essentially distraction and trying to sweep away the issue on vague future promises.

I’d like to hear what happened after the incident because while it’s one thing to hear the mistake (that we all knew had occurred) the bigger problem is the inaction they then chose to take.
They can't go back after the event. Once the game had carried on that was it.

Swango1980

Visit site

But they were hamstrung under their guidelines. We know that is why they didn't stop the game and give the goal.

Clearly, they definitely don't want it to happen again. It would not be in their interest to sweep it under the carpet and not act. But it would be better they take time to both take immediate steps, but also work on longer term improvements. I think they also sometimes have to run certain things through FIFA, as they are not allowed to do some things (e.g. play the audio live during game)

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They can't go back after the event. Once the game had carried on that was it.
I know that’s the protocol. And I know making an error is human, but knowing you made a mistake it’s the inaction that becomes the bigger crime. What happened subsequently? They just brush it off and get every subsequent interaction correct? It’s highly unlikely anyone’s judgement isn’t affected in a stressful situation like that.

Swango1980

Visit site
I've just read the transcript. Can we see it in English? No clarity at all in the discussion, no wonder it went pear shaped 🤷‍♂️
Listened to it on Sky Sports. It is clear they realise their mistake shortly after game kicks off again. The VAR operative days several times to delay the game (which I think most of us agree should have been done). The VAR says he can't, which is true under his directives.

So, it was clearly a breakdown in communication, and then protocols not allowing them to correct their mistake.

The positive is, it should be easy to learn from. They will need to address how they communicate, I'm sure their method is overly complex to try and speed things up. Especially as VAR can sometimes be checking multiple incidents, or multiple actions within the same incident. And I'd have thought they would consider allowing stopping a game in extreme circumstances.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The answer is to ask better questions, ask clear questions. Do that and this incident doesn't happen. It isn't a judgement call, it's a mix up. It should be easy to resolve going forward, somewhat worrying it could happen at all.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think we’re arguing similar things from different perspectives. I’m trying to look beyond the incident and see that for VAR to be able to correct mistakes, which will happen by human nature, they clearly need the ability to intervene in ways that will stop the game on the pitch. So,

1. I don’t think they can be trusted to make those interventions based on the performances we’re seeing.

2. Football is supposed to be fast and in the moment, not analysed to extinction.

3. I’m out. 😀

Swango1980

Visit site
So...there were the following involved...

VAR
Assistant VAR
Replay Operator
Referee
Assistant Referee 1
Assistant Referee 2

No wonder they buggered it all up...all them voices going on.

Surely it should have been...

Referee: "on-pitch decision is offside please check"
VAR: "reverse your decision, Diaz was not offside"

instead we have all "delay delay", "check complete that's perfect" talking in code like they are a couple of truckers operating a CB conversation and no clear lines of communication between anyone. A classic example of people talking so much but saying so little.

Farcical.
Those people are probably required to make it run as efficiently as possible. You can't just have one VAR guy. He'd then be busy talking to the referee whilst simultaneously messing about with video footage to look for one or more things.

So, I suspect the VAR guy is simply the middleman. He communicates with the referee (so ref only hears him), and also directs the guys in the VAR room to look at the images. They do that, and he gets answers from them, relays to the ref.

In fairness, this mistake hasn't happened in 2 or 3 years of VAR. How many offside calls is that? So, the process generally works extremely well. But clearly it will need refined to make it even better

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The answer is to ask better questions, ask clear questions. Do that and this incident doesn't happen. It isn't a judgement call, it's a mix up. It should be easy to resolve going forward, somewhat worrying it could happen at all.
This all day long. A couple of weeks ago a Russian jet nearly shot down a British plane. The bottom line was the Russian pilot misinterpreting a message sent to him. The British stated they have clearer messages. Listening to that Clip, it just seemed there needs to be clearer questions

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
But why is VAR so difficult? Surely it’s a guy with a JVC video recorder that he can rewind and play slo-mo and freeze. And then a couple of felt tip pens to draw lines on the screen.

Ok it’s a wee bit more complicated, but only a wee bit. A computer screen, the ability to rewind, freeze and draw a line on the screen. I just don’t understand all the waffle. Train an existing ref how to operate the computer, and give him an audio link to the on-field ref. “Mate, have a look at. Final decision yours.” End of.