Does his work require impartiality?
In football terms then yes it does.
On any other subject?
No, because it's not part of his job.
If he was a political correspondent then he would have to remain impartial
He isn't
So he doesn't have to.
I'm not sure how you can conclude that?

I am sure some of the top people in the BBC, who are fully aware of their own guidelines, had a lengthy meeting, and concluded he could not do what he did. I am sure this meeting included some top lawyers.

So, what do you know that none of them know?

The issue isn't really can he or can he not. It is how the BBC deal with it, knowing the attention it will get.

Liverpool could do with Lineker on penalties.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It comes down to #3
Does his work require impartiality?
In football terms then yes it does.
On any other subject?
No, because it's not part of his job.
If he was a political correspondent then he would have to remain impartial
He isn't
So he doesn't have to.
If he said it while on TV or on a BBC website then he would be in trouble...
Elon doesn't own the BBC....yet

He made a political statement at the world cup, sanctioned by the BBC - at that moment, he becomes a political spokesperson for the organisation. Expressing a political view was quite clearly part of his job then - so any future political statements will be going forwards.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Anyway, I'm out of the debate - Phil's head will be about to explode trying to ascertain if anybody is crossing the line.

If Huddersfield lose today I reckon they'll be in admin by the end of the week...

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
This is what I got

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64920557

Just noticed same link. Very first quote I think

If you scroll past the piece you quoted its the next paragraph. Its certainly not clear.

For me, it reads that whilst the BBC have standard guidelines for employees not everyone incuding freelance staff adhere to "company policy" per se.

It's not uncommon for freelancers to work to a different set of guidelines.

D

Deleted member 15344

God this is awful going forward , just no fluid movement , not sure why they took Nunez off

We are going to get what we deserve here - nothing , Bournemouth will be well worthy of their 3 points here

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
He made a political statement at the world cup, sanctioned by the BBC - at that moment, he becomes a political spokesperson for the organisation. Expressing a political view was quite clearly part of his job then - so any future political statements will be going forwards.
For the BBC, at given moments, Lineker has become,
Comedian
Spanish/English interpretor
Striptease artist
etc etc
What a multitalented guy he is. Could that be why he gets paid so much?
Well done Gary.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I wonder if we will get another 20 pages of the Liverpool game on the forum this week.
What I do know is the bookies will be making a fortune this season with some results.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I’m confused, earlier in the week weren’t some posts deleted and infractions given out for just mentioning GL, but now a full blown discussion on the situation appears to be allowed.

Anyone who posted about GL on Wednesday either in “things that gladden the heart” (supporting his views) or in “Random irritations” ( against his views) was expressing a political opinion, this was dealt with by another mod who issued points to those concerned
That took 2 of those posters over the 10 point mark due to previous infractions which triggered temporary bans.

People posting on the footie thread about GL match of the day ban and his right to free speech or not are neither in support or against his views and are therefore not political.

If you cannot see the difference, then I can’t help you.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just a shocking performance

Prob the worst I have seen VVD play , bullied by Solanke and missed an open goal

Not sure how wide that penalty was but was a shocker

Oh well at least it’s put Everton deep in it 🤦‍♂️

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bournemouth, what the heck? They were supposed to be guaranteed relegation fodder and then they decide to have a go at staying up 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Are Liverpool going Spursy for this season? 🤔 😆