The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
So because it’s reported in the Mail it’s somehow Non-News?

Here’s the BBC reporting the same thing, calling it the “sportwashing” derby too!?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60734095

Alas no pics so you will have to take the Beebs word for but they are pretty reliable?

'

...and all the BBC said about "the flag" buried deep in the article was...."Or when a Saudi flag was spotted among Newcastle fans at Stamford Bridge" .....That is a world of difference from headlining with "Newcastle fans fly-Saudi flag as regime execute 81..."

I have no doubt whatsoever that somewhere a Saudi flag was spotted in amongst the Newcastle fans....hell, someone may have waved it vigorously above their head at some/several stages during the game, but the Mails headline seems to be written with inflammatory intentions.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
...and all the BBC said about "the flag" buried deep in the article was...."Or when a Saudi flag was spotted among Newcastle fans at Stamford Bridge" .....That is a world of difference from headlining with "Newcastle fans fly-Saudi flag as regime execute 81..."

I have no doubt whatsoever that somewhere a Saudi flag was spotted in amongst the Newcastle fans....hell, someone may have waved it vigorously above their head at some/several stages during the game, but the Mails headline seems to be written with inflammatory intentions.

Ok, Maybe try to focus less on the style of reporting and more on the sort of people that own your club and the warm embrace they are receiving from the supporters? Does it not make you uncomfortable?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok, Maybe try to focus less on the style of reporting and more on the sort of people that own your club and the warm embrace they are receiving from the supporters? Does it not make you uncomfortable?

I take the point you are making and yes there is a level of discomfort there.

I wonder if my dad often thought the same as he picked up his wage packet at the end of the day after developing radar systems for military aircraft that were sold by our government to the same regime.

Sadly, football is being more and more dominated by money. From what I know and see, most super rich individuals/organisations have probably undertaken some practices that are perhaps less than savoury in pursuit of such riches. As football further sells itself to the highest bidder, more and more owners will have a certain number of skeletons in their closets. Unfortunately for Newcastle fans, our owners skeletons are particularly public and abhorrent by any standards.

I cannot control who owns the football club I have supported for 50 years or so and in all honesty I am not going to go marching in protest at my club being owned by the Saudis based on the way they treat their own citizens. If that makes me a bad person in many folks eyes...so be it....but I don't think you would find too many supporters of other clubs, if they were being ruthlessly honest, expressing a different opinion if they were in a similar position.

But yes...whilst I was delighted to see the back of the unambitious regime headed by Mike Ashley, I cant say that our new owners, other than the depth of their pockets, are owners that I personally would have chosen if I'd been drawing up the shortlist, or perhaps been in charge of the sale process.

4LEX

Visit site
No doubt City are a great side but they produce way too many performances like tonight to ever be considered anywhere near the best England has produced. No subs, no striker and predictable. It's cost them in the CL for years too. The result has opened the door for Liverpool big time.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Chelsea wanting to play their FA Cup tie Middlesbrough behind closed doors at the weekend. :unsure:

Why penalise Middlesbrough?

already put them on random irritations

assume they want to play the rest of this seasons home games behind closed doors too? for sporting integrity obviously ???

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe Chelsea should be allowed to continue to sell tickets. However, all money raised goes directly to charities helping Ukraine.
How about Middlesbrough sell their away tickets for them? The moan is that only Boro fans will be there. Firstly, to moan about that is embarassing. Secondly, co-ordinate with Boro so that Chelsea fans can still buy those alloted tickets. Surely the club computer system can sort this out?

FA Cup proceeds are split 50:50 aren't they? It doesn't matter who sells the tickets to the Chelsea fans if that is still the case.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
What Chelsea are trying to do is laughable, especially since its 'only' the fa cup, but would many other clubs be any different?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How about Middlesbrough sell their away tickets for them? The moan is that only Boro fans will be there. Firstly, to moan about that is embarassing. Secondly, co-ordinate with Boro so that Chelsea fans can still buy those alloted tickets. Surely the club computer system can sort this out?

FA Cup proceeds are split 50:50 aren't they? It doesn't matter who sells the tickets to the Chelsea fans if that is still the case.
I was thinking this, it didn't make sense to me. Surely a way that Boro can sell the away tickets directly? I don't know. Still a ridiculous request from Chelsea, unless they plan to play every subsequent game this season with no fans. Using the phrase 'sporting integrity' really opens them up to ridicule as well.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cracking response from Boro

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/a-statement-from-middlesbrough-fc

We are aware of Chelsea's request to have Saturday's Emirates FA Cup sixth round tie played behind closed doors and find their suggestion both bizarre and without any merit whatsoever.
All concerned are well aware of the reasons Chelsea have been sanctioned and that this has nothing to do with Middlesbrough Football Club.

To suggest as result that MFC and our fans should be penalised is not only grossly unfair but without any foundation.

Given the reasons for these sanctions, for Chelsea to seek to invoke sporting "integrity" as reason for the game being played behind closed doors is ironic in the extreme.

We currently await formal notification from the FA of the next steps but rest assured MFC will resist Chelsea's actions in the strongest terms.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Cracking response from Boro

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/a-statement-from-middlesbrough-fc

We are aware of Chelsea's request to have Saturday's Emirates FA Cup sixth round tie played behind closed doors and find their suggestion both bizarre and without any merit whatsoever.
All concerned are well aware of the reasons Chelsea have been sanctioned and that this has nothing to do with Middlesbrough Football Club.

To suggest as result that MFC and our fans should be penalised is not only grossly unfair but without any foundation.

Given the reasons for these sanctions, for Chelsea to seek to invoke sporting "integrity" as reason for the game being played behind closed doors is ironic in the extreme.

We currently await formal notification from the FA of the next steps but rest assured MFC will resist Chelsea's actions in the strongest terms.

UP THE BORO!

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry to say the recent stuff coming out of Chelsea is classless and goes against many of the supporters they have, many I know well from growing up together in South London. The supporters I know are some of the most loyal and dedicated supporters, who followed Chelsea in great numbers when they were crap and in the good times, but to see the flying of the russian flag and the 'Roman Empire' flag at Stamford Bridge last week at a game that they, unlike any other PL side, had not yet been able to organise a 'unite for Ukraine' official gesture pre-game stank the place out. Now this request to play a FA cup q/f behind close doors......OMG! The arrogance and lack of self-awareness from inside Chelsea FC is frankly disgusting and is surely damaging the loyalty of large elements of their support. Sort it out Chelsea!