The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Gutting for the young lads , awful way to lose a tournament , not easy to come on and take a pen - must be a nightmare with a keeper the size of Donarumma in front. Great achievement to get to the final but a huge opportunity missed. Surprised that Phillips or Sterling didn’t take one before
Saka.

Was a decent game apart from ET but they should go into the World Cup feeling confident, they will need to look at the way they play against the top teams - looked lost in the second half. Sometimes you just need to take a risk and Southgate seems afraid to do it

Last edited by a moderator:

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was this poor management - putting a 19 y.o. in such a position??
I really don't know, but by hell it certainly shredded the nerves.........what a finish.....got to feel for everyone ( both sides) who had the balls to step up--don't think I could do it...in fact know that I couldn't!!!
Overall though, a great tournament, some great games, good refereeing,not too much swallow diving/gamesmanship!
Maybe one day my mob will do better;)

Pin-seeker

Visit site
seriously how is your penalty taking list, in order:

your striker/pen taker
centre half
sub been on 30 secs
sub been on 30 secs
19 year old deemed too inexperienced to start the final

just doesnt make any sense :(
Tbf the subs were only brought on for penalties.
I’d av expected Grealish to take one before Saka

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Italy deserved the win on the balance of play. Pity it was on penalties though.

I still think that Southgate was far too conservative with his approach there. You need to win the game, not hope that you don’t lose

been that way since the start of the tournament, thats his approach

shame because we wont get a better chance to win a tournament

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
In hindsight, Southgate wasted chances earlier in the tournament to blood players like Sancho, Rashford and Grealish more and in the end England didn’t have the nous to turn things around. Lessons to be learned.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I for one am proud of the lads and Management of England. They got to a final when many said we'd do nothing.

I fully expect the media and armchair experts to tear them apart.
But let's remember, this is the first England team for 55 years to get to a final. They are a very young squad and will learn from this experience.

On to the World Cup. ⚽

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Way too much pressure on a 19 year old kid on the last pen. have to question that decision. I think Sancho had one touch and it was saved.
Italy better side overall.