The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Grealish is the best option though.

We can play Mount, Grealish and Foden (not a fan for England so far) in the system we are playing if he'd just drop Phillips for Mount!

No player in the prem has created more than Jack over 2 seasons - other than Kevin De Bruyne - and we're still sat having conversations about whether hes best?! He plays for Villa too, with worse players.. the mind boggles!!!!!!

You know full well that last night set it all up for a Rice, Henderson holding pair from now on ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He need to get going and show that again. He isn't getting into any threatening areas at the moment and his general play has also been poor. If he wasn't skipper then he probably would have been dropped for a game or two. Might be a good thing for him to come off the bench for a game.
Absolute rubbish. Poland don't drop Lewandowski if he doesn't score for a few games. France don't drop Mbappe or Griezmann. Belgium don't drop Lukaku. If you honestly think we're going to go into the next round, against top drawer opposition and then drop our best striker then you're clueless.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I can't believe Bamford is getting bandied about as a possible England striker, if ever there was a candidate for most bang average striker he would have to be on the list.
I remember Middlesbrough fans a few years years ago saying he didn't cut it, I mean Middlesbrough for christs sake ?

Yeah. Hes terrible.

Screenshot_20210623_114915_uk.co.bbc.android.sportdomestic.jpg

D

Deleted member 1418

I'm thinking the 'new Golden Generation' are going to be as successful as the previous one!!! ?‍♂️??

Got to ditch 4 at the back and 2 holding midfielders for the next round otherwise it's good bye!

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

We can play Mount, Grealish and Foden (not a fan for England so far) in the system we are playing if he'd just drop Phillips for Mount!

No player in the prem has created more than Jack over 2 seasons - other than Kevin De Bruyne - and we're still sat having conversations about whether hes best?! He plays for Villa too, with worse players.. the mind boggles!!!!!!

Random points...

I would just like our best footballers playing together for once. Get Foden, Grealish and Mount together and give them some freedom. Supported by one of Rice or Phillips or Hendo behind, and have two from Saka, Sancho, Sterling, Kane.

Saka showed the way in terms of receiving under pressure, turning and breaking the lines.

As for Kane...the problem is not Kane. It's Gareth. If Kane stays up front he won't get the ball because we don't own the midfield. Coming deep isn't that bad a thing, a bit less predictable that just "goal-hanging" ;)

I actually thought Kane was OK yesterday.

If we play France, I can see Gareth playing three holding midfielders. o_O

Haven't seen much wing-back action from us. Italy are all over this.

I would fancy us to beat Portugal. I wouldn't fancy us at all to get past France or Germany.

D

Deleted member 16999

Big fish in a small pond.
Everything at Villa revolves around him, hence why other teams target him.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Big fish in a small pond.
Everything at Villa revolves around him, hence why other teams target him.

You've got an excuse for everything - and they're getting worse :ROFLMAO:

Just sit back, and enjoy the best CAM England have to offer, rather than finding terrible ways to prove hes not the best.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
This.

Spuds fans complaining hes not scoring because he doesn't get any service. Its hard to cross the ball to someone who isn't in the box.

Yep. There was one moment, quite early in the first half, when he dropped so deep that the only players behind him were Pickford and the back four. I was screaming at the television.

Overall, a decent first half, poor second, and an average performance with two stand out performances from Saka and Grealish. I’m still struggling to get excited, and maintain I would far rather see England go out playing entertaining football and allowing the players to express themselves than the negative stuff on display so far.

Sorry, but I just don’t subscribe to the win at all costs mentality. When I’m old(er) and grey(er) I really don’t want to be party to conversations recalling the Euro 2020 win when everyone qualifies it by saying “Yeah, but weren’t they bloody awful to watch?”

England still leaving me stone cold, I’m afraid.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think there is something to be said for playing your way into the tournament slowly. For all the great play we've seen from Italy for example, I don't recall many times where a team smashed their group and went on to win the whole thing - typical they peak too early and it's difficult to maintain that for 3 or 4 weeks. Often the eventual winner have laboured their way through the early stages, like Portugal in 2016, or France in the World Cup 2018.

But on the flip side, the draw has screwed us. Playing your way into it, normally means that by winning the group we're rewarded with facing a half-decent team in the second round so you can keep building, but we get Germany or France so we kind of need to ramp it up to the top level pretty quickly now. And I'm not sure we're capable of that.

The format is total nonsense if Wales can scrape through second and get Denmark, while we win the group and potentially end up against the pre-tournament favourites. I think this 24-team format needs a massive rethink. But they won't, obviously.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep. There was one moment, quite early in the first half, when he dropped so deep that the only players behind him were Pickford and the back four. I was screaming at the television.

Overall, a decent first half, poor second, and an average performance with two stand out performances from Saka and Grealish. I’m still struggling to get excited, and maintain I would far rather see England go out playing entertaining football and allowing the players to express themselves than the negative stuff on display so far.

Sorry, but I just don’t subscribe to the win at all costs mentality. When I’m old(er) and grey(er) I really don’t want to be party to conversations recalling the Euro 2020 win when everyone qualifies it by saying “Yeah, but weren’t they bloody awful to watch?”

England still leaving me stone cold, I’m afraid.
That might be the problem !
It’s US expecting to much from our players.
I do wonder if Italian or French fans on Forums dissect the way they play when they win.

Grealish created the only goal last night with a really good cross.
We have a glut of forward that we reckon are world class ,but they havnt proved it yet.
I just hope better opposition will bring us up a level.
But the players look shackled to me and the only time we have more than two in the box is at FK and corners.
We are just to averse to getting beat, and that is down to the manager.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Southgate has actually said they are deliberately playing their way in slowly.

They have studied past winners of major tournaments and how they worked their way through the tournament.

D

Deleted member 16999

You've got an excuse for everything - and they're getting worse :ROFLMAO:

Just sit back, and enjoy the best CAM England have to offer, rather than finding terrible ways to prove hes not the best.
Not making excuses, he’s a talent, I just don’t think he’s as good as you believe, but then again you do watch him through rose tinted glasses.

25yrs old and only recently being called up:unsure: Late developer maybe?

D

Deleted member 16999

That might be the problem !
It’s US expecting to much from our players.
I do wonder if Italian or French fans on Forums dissect the way they play when they win.

Grealish created the only goal last night with a really good cross.
We have a glut of forward that we reckon are world class ,but they havnt proved it yet.
I just hope better opposition will bring us up a level.
But the players look shackled to me and the only time we have more than two in the box is at FK and corners.
We are just to averse to getting beat, and that is down to the manager.
It was a good cross, but a lot of credit has to go to Sterling for his awareness and movement to get on the end of it.

Do we honestly believe Grealish was looking for one of the smallest on the pitch to get his head on it?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was a good cross, but a lot of credit has to go to Sterling for his awareness and movement to get on the end of it.

Do we honestly believe Grealish was looking for one of the smallest on the pitch to get his head on it?

He put it into the danger area, great cross imo, took the keeper out of the game and laid it on a plate for someone to tap in.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not making excuses, he’s a talent, I just don’t think he’s as good as you believe, but then again you do watch him through rose tinted glasses.

25yrs old and only recently being called up:unsure: Late developer maybe?
I'm no Villa fan but I think Grealish is top class. He could get in any Premier League team now. Last season he was:
2nd most key passes per game.
4th in successful dribbles.
Most fouled by a long way.
Ten assists which is joint 4th.

The obvious reason he has fewer caps is because he elected to stay at Villa and played Championship football for three years, and he's only been back in the Prem for two. In that time he's mostly been involved when fit. I think he's unique in our squad for his ability on the ball.

D

Deleted member 16999

He put it into the danger area, great cross imo, took the keeper out of the game and laid it on a plate for someone to tap in.
That wasn’t a tap in, watch Sterling’s movement to lose his marker and get on the end of it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bit of a deflection on the cross but he did the work before that, winning the header to Kane, getting the pass back and creating the space to lift it in, on his weaker foot.