The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

100% agree with that. Wanted to write something similar last night but figured I'd just get written off as a biased Spurs fan. But anyone seriously thinking DCL will come in against Germany or France is kidding themselves. Kane is a world class striker, if we actually created 5 or 6 chances he would score 1 or 2, but we just haven't. He did finally have one good chance last night, but the keeper made a very good save. Other than that he's had nothing but scraps to feed on. DCL is levels below Kane, to think he'd do any better on this kind of service is laughable. He's someone you throw on late on when you need a goal and you start lumping balls into the box.
I was just at the point of agreeing 100% with you until the bit in bold.

That’s not DCL at all, yes he can jump, but he’s still not as good as Kane, if we’ve got to the point of needing a goal and lumping balls in to the box, leave Kane on! You know better than me he’s one of the best at taking chances in the box.
It would be of benefit to Kane to shove DCL on for Kane to feed off.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

That’s not DCL at all, yes he can jump, but he’s still not as good as Kane, if we’ve got to the point of needing a goal and lumping balls in to the box, leave Kane on! You know better than me he’s one of the best at taking chances in the box.
I never implied it would be in place of Kane. (y)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

This is why I couldn't understand taking DCL over Bamford. DCL doesn't offer anything different to Kane, just a not quite as good version of the same thing.

Bamford would at least give some energy and create space and hold the ball up for the midfield 3 to join in.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Id like to see Foden dropped for Saka in the next round, we look so much better playing actual wingers on the wing.

Wont happen, but in 90 mins he did more than Foden did in 2 games.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is why I couldn't understand taking DCL over Bamford. DCL doesn't offer anything different to Kane, just a not quite as good version of the same thing.

Bamford would at least give some energy and create space and hold the ball up for the midfield 3 to join in.

I like bamford , not only is he a decent striker (would suit us so much) he seems in touch with us mere mortals ..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I do agree with that. Could have at least left Greenwood or Watkins in the final squad.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

When the midfield 3 actually make it in to the attacking 3rd that is … and that’s primarily the selection issue.
It’s telling that City are rumoured to be putting Laporte and Sterling up for Kane .. Sterling is out of form currently and it looks like his manager cannot be bothered to persist with him. But Kane just isn’t that valuable, Son made him look good at Spurs this season … (a neutrals view - Spurs are a disappointing watch in general)

D

Deleted member 16999

Unfortunately for Bamford, I believe he’s (wrongly) seen a a journeyman who’s had a good season, people forget he’s only 27.

DCL has had a good season and I think Southgate only prefers him as he’s slightly younger and has worked with him in the past.

Bamford was worth the risk over DCL imo.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When the midfield 3 actually make it in to the attacking 3rd that is … and that’s primarily the selection issue.
It’s telling that City are rumoured to be putting Laporte and Sterling up for Kane .. Sterling is out of form currently and it looks like his manager cannot be bothered to persist with him. But Kane just isn’t that valuable, Son made him look good at Spurs this season … (a neutrals view - Spurs are a disappointing watch in general)

I dunno I rather enjoyed watching spurs last year ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Id like to see Foden dropped for Saka in the next round, we look so much better playing actual wingers on the wing.

Wont happen, but in 90 mins he did more than Foden did in 2 games.
I like Foden but I don't see him as a winger, I think he does his best work driving through the middle. I always said I would have had Foden as the number 10, with Grealish wide left, and a pacey direct player like Sancho on the right.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
greenwood was injured but Watkins would be an excellent choice

Dont rate DCL at all for England.

It wasnt DCL over Bamford though, hes about 5th in the pecking order for England :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, but you were replying to posts who were.(y)
So in essence you were disagreeing with them, not me. :D But yeah, my point was his role in the squad is another guy to throw on when we need a goal, I don't think he's there to take Kane's place, bar injuring or resting him etc.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I like Foden but I don't see him as a winger, I think he does his best work driving through the middle. I always said I would have had Foden as the number 10, with Grealish wide left, and a pacey direct player like Sancho on the right.

I cannot be having Sterling not in anyones line up now... He's got 2 in 3 and our only goalscorer..

Meanwhile JG has the most assists (3) in the last 15 games for England... and hes played in half of those games :ROFLMAO:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
My starting line up for England after 3 played -

Pickford
Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw
Hendo, Rice
Saka, Grealish, Sterling
Kane

Notes
Mings did great, Maguire is the next level above unfortunately.
Id like to see Chillwell play, dont get why GS doesnt like him - plus in isolation.
Id drop Hendo for Mount if he wasnt missing the next week of training.
Cant drop Sterling
Saka will probs be dropped for Foden, but I dont think thats deserved after last nights performance and would be GS's big club bias playing its part.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I cannot be having Sterling not in anyones line up now... He's got 2 in 3 and our only goalscorer..

Meanwhile JG has the most assists (3) in the last 15 games for England... and hes played in half of those games :ROFLMAO:
I was just talking about my preference at the start. Obviously Sterling won't be dropped now. Since we've got a week until we play now, I feel sure that Henderson will play, with either Rice or Phillips. I also have a sneaky suspicion that as we'll be playing someone good, he may revert back to the 5-3-2, which means either Grealish or Foden left out for sure. I can certainly see him going for Trippier-Walker-Stones-Maguire-Shaw, Hendo & Rice, Foden, Sterling & Kane.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Southgates original stance was playing time was more important than names and how form would be most important

That brings in grealish, lingard and wardprowse

But grealish isn't at a big club (no offence meant)
Lingard isn't technically as good but was in form

Wardprowse not at big club

Players are encouraged to leave to get first team football to better their international chances but then aren't picked ...Sancho for example

I would bet a lot of cash that if grealish and sancho had their moves to spurs and United they would defo be in the first team ..

Sterling is a fine example

He plays for a big club, If he was outside of England playing for like Lyon banging them in wouldn't be near the first team

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Southgates original stance was playing time was more important than names and how form would be most important

That brings in grealish, lingard and wardprowse

But grealish isn't at a big club (no offence meant)
Lingard isn't technically as good but was in form

Wardprowse not at big club

Players are encouraged to leave to get first team football to better their international chances but then aren't picked ...Sancho for example

I would bet a lot of cash that if grealish and sancho had their moves to spurs and United they would defo be in the first team ..

Sterling is a fine example

He plays for a big club, If he was outside of England playing for like Lyon banging them in wouldn't be near the first team

Hey... you watch out for AVFC.. dont sleep on us, we're going places under our new owners. One step at a time!

Spurs arent a big club, they just have a big stadium.