The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not making excuses, he’s a talent, I just don’t think he’s as good as you believe, but then again you do watch him through rose tinted glasses.

25yrs old and only recently being called up:unsure: Late developer maybe?

That's because he was like rice in the Ireland youth systems so they tread carefully with call ups as don't want to lock someone in forever
It was a good cross, but a lot of credit has to go to Sterling for his awareness and movement to get on the end of it.

Do we honestly believe Grealish was looking for one of the smallest on the pitch to get his head on it?

Grealish does what any good player does puts a ball in a dangerous position to be attacked

It just missed saka and sterling had good awareness to nod in

However I've always said sterling is great when he doesn't have to think

When he has time to think that's when he isn't as good . Get him in positions for tap ins he will score

Let him round players and try score it will go over bar

D

Deleted member 16999

I'm no Villa fan but I think Grealish is top class. He could get in any Premier League team now. Last season he was:
2nd most key passes per game.
4th in successful dribbles.
Most fouled by a long way.
Ten assists which is joint 4th.

The obvious reason he has fewer caps is because he elected to stay at Villa and played Championship football for three years, and he's only been back in the Prem for two. In that time he's mostly been involved when fit. I think he's unique in our squad for his ability on the ball.
I don’t doubt his ability, what I doubt is he’d get the freedom or the reliance on him if he played for a top 4 Club.

All this time he “elected” to stay at Villa are you sure anyone came in for him or were they not willing to take the chance on his attitude?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
That wasn’t a tap in, watch Sterling’s movement to lose his marker and get on the end of it.

Well it was very hard to miss from there wasn't it ?
Yes Sterling's movement was excellent for the goal, his off the ball runs have been excellent so far, just wish he had a bit more nous to do better when he has the ball.
Anyone spot Henderson getting in everyone's way btw? Too desperate to make an impact and overcrowding areas of the pitch ??

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'm no Villa fan but I think Grealish is top class. He could get in any Premier League team now. Last season he was:
2nd most key passes per game.
4th in successful dribbles.
Most fouled by a long way.
Ten assists which is joint 4th.

The obvious reason he has fewer caps is because he elected to stay at Villa and played Championship football for three years, and he's only been back in the Prem for two. In that time he's mostly been involved when fit. I think he's unique in our squad for his ability on the ball.

AND he missed 12 games :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don’t doubt his ability, what I doubt is he’d get the freedom or the reliance on him if he played for a top 4 Club.

All this time he “elected” to stay at Villa are you sure anyone came in for him or were they not willing to take the chance on his attitude?
There is an element of Le Tissier there. Given the freedom just to play, forget tracking back etc. He may well be stifled at another club, not compulsory though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don't think the big clubs risk spending huge money on 2nd tier players these days. They normally just let a smaller club take the risk and pick them up two years later when proven in the top flight. In this instance, there was no middle-man as Villa came up and established themselves, but all the top clubs would definitely take him now I should think.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was a good cross, but a lot of credit has to go to Sterling for his awareness and movement to get on the end of it.

Do we honestly believe Grealish was looking for one of the smallest on the pitch to get his head on it?
No but his job was to get it in there in the first place which he did!
Something were lacking atm.
Sterling’s movement was good as his main route was blocked so he went back post.
Can’t argue with his stats Played three scored two anyone would be happy with that.

D

Deleted member 16999

Whilst 5 other players were involved he and saka made a huge difference to surge us forward..

Against Scotland we just couldn't break them down we needed a spark

It's that link up player
Apart from Stones hitting the post.?‍♂️

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
My take on the game last night was overall a solid performance.
Saka was superb
Jack had his moments but was out the game far too much and won’t start the next game I believe.
Sterling also some good bits and stretches teams and without his goals we would be out.
Thought Maguire looked solid since he’s been out so long,although with world class players running at him next game it could be different.
Although we haven’t looked world beaters I bet other teams won’t fancy playing us.
Some good games also today

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Kane - £100m...really...?
His PL record:

2014/15 21 goals
2015/16 25 goals
2016/17 29 goals
2017/18 30 goals
2018/19 17 goals (missed 1/4 of the season)
2019/20 18 goals (missed 1/4 of the season)
2020/21 23 goals

Golden Boot winner at World Cup 2018

That is why he is worth £100m in the current market. Precious few strikers around with that record.

You have to feed him though, he is not a Messi.

D

Deleted member 16999

The first pass was from Shaw down the left to Sterling wasn’t it.
A left footed pass from a left footed player,playing left back,who’d have thought that would work.
No mate, broke down the right, Saka running from his own half playing a 1-2 with Philips, Shaw not involved.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
There is an element of Le Tissier there. Given the freedom just to play, forget tracking back etc. He may well be stifled at another club, not compulsory though.
I think we’re in different eras now.
Back then he wasn’t picked as he was at a small club, his tracking back etc is a false excuse imo Especially as he was usually our second striker, and I don’t recall shearer, sheringham, Owen, Fowler etc really putting in defensive shifts. It’s just because he was playing a little deeper people seem to see him as midfielder.
The treatment of grealish is shocking imo, the Only reason we should play two defensive midfielders is if we accept that the attackers aren’t Expected to do the ugly work.