The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Better now the whole interview has been released, it seems breaking Shearer’s and Rooney’s records is more important than winning a trophy and he could do both as a Spurs player.
I agree. Haven't watch the video with Neville yet (will do later), but reading that transcript there, I didn't get any feeling he was pushing for a move right now. More saying it's last chance saloon in a way. i.e. if Levy doesn't deliver on bringing in a good manager and some quality players, then he may be off in a year or two's time.

D

Deleted member 1418

I agree. Haven't watch the video with Neville yet (will do later), but reading that transcript there, I didn't get any feeling he was pushing for a move right now. More saying it's last chance saloon in a way. i.e. if Levy doesn't deliver on bringing in a good manager and some quality players, then he may be off in a year or two's time.

Interesting one though isn't it - in a year or 2s time he's 29 and whilst technically still in his prime, his options could be very limited, especially as City, United, Chelsea would probably be looking at younger alternatives (as such surprised Chelsea being linked with Lewandowski now).

Levy is a very astute businessman though and he will be very aware of current market value against contract costs. And does he gamble with selling before Euro's or after given risk of injury? Clearly if Kane has an exceptional tournament and gets through it unscathed then I can see him starting the new season at a new club.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting one though isn't it - in a year or 2s time he's 29 and whilst technically still in his prime, his options could be very limited, especially as City, United, Chelsea would probably be looking at younger alternatives (as such surprised Chelsea being linked with Lewandowski now).

Levy is a very astute businessman though and he will be very aware of current market value against contract costs. And does he gamble with selling before Euro's or after given risk of injury? Clearly if Kane has an exceptional tournament and gets through it unscathed then I can see him starting the new season at a new club.
Definitely wouldn't stop United, they've signed the likes of Cavani and Zlatan in recent years. Ok they didn't pay for them, but their success suggests that a good striker still has years in him at 29. I think it used to be thought that maybe by 31-ish players would be on their last legs, but nowadays it's more like 34-35. In the interview I think Kane said himself that he sees himself now as only halfway through his career, wants to emulate Ronaldo and Messi and still be at the top by 34-35.

Nuno to Spurs then??
That's certainly seems a logical step doesn't it? I wouldn't mind him coming in. Would be similar to when we got Poch from Southampton I think. Plus we might actually see Doherty play well at last! And it'd be really really nice if he brought Coady with him as well.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Kane situation will only be resolved once everyone knows what's happening with Haaland (and possibly Lewandowski and Mbappe).

Clearly Real, Barca, City, United and Chelsea all want Haaland, but questionable whether Real and Barca can afford him (same with Mbappe).

If City is Kane's preferred destination then the only way I can see it working is if Lewandowski leaves Bayern, with Haaland replacing him.

Going to be an interesting summer transfer window!

Could Bayern afford the transfer fee and wages associated with getting Haaland? £160m + transfer fee and probably £15-20m a season in wages adds up to a lot of money. I'm not sure they've got that sort of money for one player.

I think if Kane goes to City, United have to go and get Haaland to have any chance of competing. Admittedly they'd probably need a couple of others as well.

As a neutral (albeit one that doesn't like Liverpool) in an ideal world I'd like to see the above two transfers go through and for Mbappe to join Liverpool. Would make the PL very interesting to watch next season.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Definitely wouldn't stop United, they've signed the likes of Cavani and Zlatan in recent years. Ok they didn't pay for them, but their success suggests that a good striker still has years in him at 29. I think it used to be thought that maybe by 31-ish players would be on their last legs, but nowadays it's more like 34-35. In the interview I think Kane said himself that he sees himself now as only halfway through his career, wants to emulate Ronaldo and Messi and still be at the top by 34-35.

That's certainly seems a logical step doesn't it? I wouldn't mind him coming in. Would be similar to when we got Poch from Southampton I think. Plus we might actually see Doherty play well at last! And it'd be really really nice if he brought Coady with him as well.

You haven't seen Coady play much have you?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd be amazed if any have been worse than Coady, especially in a two.
He has been a great manager for you. Well backed but he has delivered. Any thoughts or rumours regarding a replacement?

Not often a club has a managers role up for grabs when they are in a solid position. It will be a sought after role.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Again, I emphasise that I am a football follower not a devout fan so apologies for any naïve comments but I really think that Kane is stuck at Spurs. That long contract means that they are in no hurry to sell and the money for anyone to buy him at the price Spurs can charge may simply not be there. As a few have said, the Spanish clubs are pretty skint (especially if Barca give Messi a new contract) the German clubs do not spend that sort of money, in fact City do not spend that sort of money on one player either it seems, and so that leaves PSG, United and Chelsea. Again, are any of them going £100 million plus post covid, who knows.

I think it is bad timing in that he may be looking for a transfer at a time when clubs are looking to negotiate down on price at the same time that Levy would want a big number to let him go and the length of his contract meant he is tied in for a while yet.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But you get a cracking view of the City and Tyne Bridge.
Bloody awful view of the game though
I was with my cousin one time up there and he started asking who individual Toon players were. I couldn't tell him, I couldn't distinguish so many of them from that distance ? . You are dead right, it's an awful place to watch a game from.

D

Deleted member 16999

Non PL post.

Great start to the League 1 play off Semi Final between Blackpool & Oxford, made even better by the fact there are fans in the ground and no VAR.(y)

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
He has been a great manager for you. Well backed but he has delivered. Any thoughts or rumours regarding a replacement?

Not often a club has a managers role up for grabs when they are in a solid position. It will be a sought after role.

Greatest manager in my lifetime, I never thought I'd be able to say I'd seen my club play abroad in Europe, he gave us that opportunity. Lead us to two back to back 7th places finishes, a cup semi final (that still stings) and a Europa league quarter, I'm absolutely deflated that he's gone.
This season hasn't been the best, rumours the board want to change direction slightly, which is fair enough and I'm glad he's had the chance to go on his own terms and not when the fanbase had turned on him after a few poor results.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hypothetical question. Which is preferable? To win The FA Cup for the first time and qualify for The Europa League OR Runners Up in FA Cup and 3rd in Premier League with qualification for The Champions League? For me it would be The Champions League.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Hypothetical question. Which is preferable? To win The FA Cup for the first time and qualify for The Europa League OR Runners Up in FA Cup and 3rd in Premier League with qualification for The Champions League? For me it would be The Champions League.
I could give an honest answer today, Sunday evening and end of season next year - all for different reasons and feelings at the time. If you had asked me at the start of the season I would have said FA Cup winners without any hesitation. At the moment I am clinging to that, because I can not see Villa or Palace doing LCFC a favour and Spurs will be tough to beat. 5th place looks the most likely - sadly. So at the moment - would not swap the Cup for auto CL qualification, mainly because of never winning it before. Whoever finishes 3rd and 4th will deserve to be there.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I could give an honest answer today, Sunday evening and end of season next year - all for different reasons and feelings at the time. If you had asked me at the start of the season I would have said FA Cup winners without any hesitation. At the moment I am clinging to that, because I can not see Villa or Palace doing LCFC a favour and Spurs will be tough to beat. 5th place looks the most likely - sadly. So at the moment - would not swap the Cup for auto CL qualification, mainly because of never winning it before. Whoever finishes 3rd and 4th will deserve to be there.

The way spurs have been recently I think you wi be more than enough for them

They can't wait for the season to end