The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m still not entirely sure why Messi is the pick of so many as the best player of all time, rather than Ronaldo.

I’m not for one moment disputing Messi’s class, but Ronaldo has performed consistently for clubs in three leagues. Until his move to PSG, Messi has confined himself to doing it for one club.

The diversity of Ronaldo’s club career sets him apart in my book.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Anyone else like to see an end to the referee’s watch and hand the responsibility to a timekeeper? 30 or 35 minutes each way, ball put into play, clock starts, ball put out of play clock stops. After time, finish as per rugby, first clean break in play.

I’m getting fed up to the back teeth of seeing referees tap their watch but do nothing about the offenders.

Yep, the worst team in the last 20 years for me was that Chelsea of old London town. :)

Seriously, we've all done it and benefitted from it and been on the end of it. However, I think a ref (or timekepper) should have the option to call the normal injury/celebrations/subs time, but of a side has been excessively timewasting, he can add on even more minutes as a punishment. So 4 for the former and an extra 2,3 for the latter.

its better than warning a keeper in the 25th minute, allowing him to get away with it another 5 times, then booking him in the 85the minute, which wastes another minute also, normally.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just seen this, apparently it is the “selection criteria” given to journos for the Balon D’Or.

1. Individual and team performance in 2021 calendar year;
2. Talent and sportsmanship of the player;
3. The player’s overall career.

Why is 3 in there if it’s an annual award?

4. The player must have "ESSI" in his name.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m still not entirely sure why Messi is the pick of so many as the best player of all time, rather than Ronaldo.

I’m not for one moment disputing Messi’s class, but Ronaldo has performed consistently for clubs in three leagues. Until his move to PSG, Messi has confined himself to doing it for one club.

Ditto but vice versa for me ... I wouldn't ever deny Ronaldo's goal scoring stats, but for me Messi is the better player and a more natural talent.

But honestly... When someone is asked who the "best ever is" and they take a sharp intake of breath and start their sentence with Messi or Ronaldo... I just stop listening. It's a ridiculous debate that denies some of the most graceful, powerful defenders from recent decades a mention, not to disregard play makers or box to box midfielders that have performed at the highest levels.

But this is why football will always bebated... Because opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Ditto but vice versa for me ... I wouldn't ever deny Ronaldo's goal scoring stats, but for me Messi is the better player and a more natural talent.

But honestly... When someone is asked who the "best ever is" and they take a sharp intake of breath and start their sentence with Messi or Ronaldo... I just stop listening. It's a ridiculous debate that denies some of the most graceful, powerful defenders from recent decades a mention, not to disregard play makers or box to box midfielders that have performed at the highest levels.

But this is why football will always bebated... Because opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one.

Don’t disagree at all. But it does surprise me that, when just the two of them are discussed, Messi seems the clear winner with so many.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Not surprised to see two PSG players winning a french award (no matter who the judges are)

Football is so corrupt ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don’t disagree at all. But it does surprise me that, when just the two of them are discussed, Messi seems the clear winner with so many.
Ronaldo is not really very likeable, on the pitch, I'm sure he is lovely off it (possibly ?), whereas Messi is. Messi is a team player, Ronaldo looks after number 1 first.

Now, the above should not come into the discussion but we are human and so it does.

Yes, I'm another in the Messi camp. Not only is he superb, they both are, but he brings the rest of the team into the game more than Ronaldo does and that gives him the edge for me.

As others have said though, the ignoring of the great midfielders and defenders of our time is embarrassing when this discussion comes up.

D

Deleted member 16999

Ronaldo is not really very likeable, on the pitch, I'm sure he is lovely off it (possibly ?), whereas Messi is. Messi is a team player, Ronaldo looks after number 1 first.

Now, the above should not come into the discussion but we are human and so it does.

Yes, I'm another in the Messi camp. Not only is he superb, they both are, but he brings the rest of the team into the game more than Ronaldo does and that gives him the edge for me.

As others have said though, the ignoring of the great midfielders and defenders of our time is embarrassing when this discussion comes up.
I don’t think it’s embarrassing as such, more human nature, think about all the great games you’ve watched in person, on TV etc and I’d reckon 99% of memories will be great goals or games your team has won.

Give it a bit more thought and you can remember a great tackle or block, but that maybe behind a great save.

Great moments tend to be goals.

It doesn’t stop us mentioning world class defenders or goalkeepers and it doesn’t take anything away from their ability.

Think about how we grew up watching football, the majority will of dreamed about scoring a worldie or pulling off a miraculous save, it only be the ginger kids who dream about blocking a cross or winning a header from a corner.;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I know the debate will be had until the end of time, but I'm a Ronaldo man personally. Has more to his game, i.e. aerial threat as well, was more two-footed for most of his career (Messi only worked on his right foot later on), has also reinvented himself from a left-winger to a central striker, and has done it in three different leagues whereas Messi has done it in one. If your team was playing horribly and you wanted one player to bring on to drag them kicking and screaming to victory, for my money it's Ronaldo. He's done it so many times over the years.

But anyway, this Ballon D'Or should have gone to Lewandowski. Case closed. :LOL:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I'm not sure Messi really is that lovely.

Lots of rumours of him being the one to effectively sake players and the friendly player vanished along the same time Barca stopped dominating.

I agree players of other positions deserve more respect. We all pay get more excited by a wonder goal than a clean sheet.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I may have been stretching that a bit far but I am sure you get what I mean. Messi will set up a team mate, if a team mate scores he is happy for them. He doesn't need to be the centre of attention. I can still picture Ronaldo's sulk in the CL final when Bale scored. It was embarrassing and not a lone incident. Again, I accept, that is not pure, rational logic but since when has football been rational or logical. I am sure Messi does sulk, he just hides it better :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Lots of rumours of him being the one to effectively sake players and the friendly player vanished along the same time Barca stopped dominating.

I agree players of other positions deserve more respect. We all pay get more excited by a wonder goal than a clean sheet.
In fairness though, the time of great defenders has almost past. Nowadays they've been reduced to quick, tall players who can pass a bit - John Stones for example is the typical modern defender. Defending isn't valued anymore. 10 or 15 years ago you had guys like Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Kompany, abroad you had Cannavaro, Puyol, Nesta etc. Nowadays the only one I can think of on that sort of level is Van Dijk.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In fairness though, the time of great defenders has almost past. Nowadays they've been reduced to quick, tall players who can pass a bit - John Stones for example is the typical modern defender. Defending isn't valued anymore. 10 or 15 years ago you had guys like Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Kompany, abroad you had Cannavaro, Puyol, Nesta etc. Nowadays the only one I can think of on that sort of level is Van Dijk.

no Phil Jones? :LOL:

D

Deleted member 15344

Uh, wrong!

No wrong or right when it comes to those two

For Me

Ronaldo is a better goalscorer
Messi is a better overall player

Their records in regards trophies are be the similar both for club and country

They will both suit different types of style and manager

If I could take one at their prime for the way we play right now it would be Messi

When we played under Rafa it would be Ronaldo

But I still would take Ronaldinho or Maradona over both of them ?

Swango1980

Visit site
Yeah thats exactly what I'd do. Id allow the ref to make on field decisons but I would be checking they are correct if a goal is scored. You scrub off the goal in recognition that the ref got it wrong. For throw ins too if in the same passage of play the throwing team scores a goal. If the ball goes back as far as the centre circle and the play rebuilds from there - the corner/ throw in is a seperate passage of play.

If we can wait 5 minutes to be pulled back for a peno taken just before HT and a rebound is allowed to be tapped in, then im happy to wait and have a goal scrubbed off for a team who have scored when it wasnt actually a corner or throw in. Why allow someone that advantage because you cant be bothered to check?

Im in the ground every week - VAR goal celebrations are getting easier again. You know if its dubious or not. Even more so if you're watching on TV with a zoomed in angle. We all knew McGinn's screamer at the weekend was a clear goal no matter what VAR checks and the limbs speak for themselves.
Honestly, I personally think that is a horrific idea. You'd have a situation where a corner is wrongly given, or there is an offside leading to a corner. All the fans at home are aware of this, already seen the replay. Yet you have the ridiculous situation where the team are preparing to take the corner, and all the fans know at home that if a goal is scored it won't count. Imagine a Jiminez type skull fracture occuring from such a corner, when everybody at home knew that corner would never count anyway. If managers have seen the replay, they could just tell their defenders to not bother defending.