The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Just seen on BBC website that FIFA are trialling semi-automated offsides. It will use 10-12 cameras and send an alert through to an official, who makes the final call. Watch this space, I can imagine this is going to be a lot of fun.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A question for everyone. Has anyone ever seen an incident where the ref has gone across to the pitch side monitor and not changed his initial decision?

There was a big fuss about this happening this season but if all that they do is follow the recommendation of the ref back in ref HQ then are they really making the change themselves? Is there any point to them going across to the monitor? As soon as they do we know the decision will be reversed. Unless someone can remember a situation where this did not happen.......

seen it happen in other leagues on the continent ie Serie A but not in the prem that I can remember

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
So, you'd allow the corner, but only check if the corner should have been given if that corner leads to a goal? You could be checking an incident that happened minutes ago, especially if subs are made in between, a players takes ages to take the corner, the ref has to hold up play as players are pushing in box, or the corner is taken, but it leads to a bit of drama in the box before goal is scored (rather than just scoring directly from the cross by heading it in). And, what about throw ins? Maybe say no for them, but then if a team has a Rory Delap in their side, a corner was preferable to a throw in for the defending side.

I agree VAR will make more correct decisions, but I still feel it has made the game really sterile and stale. Virtually any time my team scores a goal, I'm half delighted, but half thinking is there a potential offside to check. That fear remains with me until the teams kick off again. It has taken out a lot of the immediate joy in the game, as before VAR you knew a goal would be disallowed within seconds.

Yeah thats exactly what I'd do. Id allow the ref to make on field decisons but I would be checking they are correct if a goal is scored. You scrub off the goal in recognition that the ref got it wrong. For throw ins too if in the same passage of play the throwing team scores a goal. If the ball goes back as far as the centre circle and the play rebuilds from there - the corner/ throw in is a seperate passage of play.

If we can wait 5 minutes to be pulled back for a peno taken just before HT and a rebound is allowed to be tapped in, then im happy to wait and have a goal scrubbed off for a team who have scored when it wasnt actually a corner or throw in. Why allow someone that advantage because you cant be bothered to check?

Im in the ground every week - VAR goal celebrations are getting easier again. You know if its dubious or not. Even more so if you're watching on TV with a zoomed in angle. We all knew McGinn's screamer at the weekend was a clear goal no matter what VAR checks and the limbs speak for themselves.

D

Deleted member 1740

A question for everyone. Has anyone ever seen an incident where the ref has gone across to the pitch side monitor and not changed his initial decision?

There was a big fuss about this happening this season but if all that they do is follow the recommendation of the ref back in ref HQ then are they really making the change themselves? Is there any point to them going across to the monitor? As soon as they do we know the decision will be reversed. Unless someone can remember a situation where this did not happen.......

Yes it was Chris Kavannagh in the Anfield Derby last season.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes it was Chris Kavannagh in the Anfield Derby last season.
I bet it went your way as well :ROFLMAO:

One occasion so far remembered, none at all this season. If the decisions are correct then I have no issue but I tend to feel the walk across is window dressing if they pretty much follow the call from HQ

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't remember whether it was Utd or Chelsea players doing it but at one point yesterday there was an incident and a group of players were surrounding the ref, right in his face, hands together in prayer, pleading and screaming at him to change his decision. It is going to be checked, stop it! It was horrible when players did this in the past but now there is even less excuse. I'm with you, book them, it will stop the dramatics.
Think it was both teams .
They all do it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agreed. I can maybe understand them shouting for a penalty or a foul leading to a goal, as they might feel it wakes the VAR up a bit to actually look at it (if players do not make a fuss, I get the impression VAR will just leave it alone). However, once the ref says that VAR are looking at it, players should just shut up. It will be the VAR red that will decide if there is a reason a decision should be changed, and if they do the ref will likely change that decision once he reviews the monitor)
Yes but was watching MOTD last night.
The Rondon shirt pull incident.
I might be wrong but the Everton players didn’t seem to put up much of a shout for a pen , especially Rondon himself.
But once it’s gone to VAR they should be booked for harassing the ref.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Anyone else like to see an end to the referee’s watch and hand the responsibility to a timekeeper? 30 or 35 minutes each way, ball put into play, clock starts, ball put out of play clock stops. After time, finish as per rugby, first clean break in play.

I’m getting fed up to the back teeth of seeing referees tap their watch but do nothing about the offenders.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes but was watching MOTD last night.
The Rondon shirt pull incident.
I might be wrong but the Everton players didn’t seem to put up much of a shout for a pen , especially Rondon himself.
But once it’s gone to VAR they should be booked for harassing the ref.
Apparently VAR did review it. Yes, they really looked at it and decided it was not a penalty o_O. It was reviewed whilst the game was going on.

Our players are very well behaved like that ;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apparently VAR did review it. Yes, they really looked at it and decided it was not a penalty o_O. It was reviewed whilst the game was going on.

Our players are very well behaved like that ;)
That’s a bit of a shock.
That’s just incompetent imo.
Pulling shirts is against the rules and the ref and VAR should not pick and choose.
If that’s in the centre circle it’s a yellow card.

D

Deleted member 1740

I bet it went your way as well :ROFLMAO:

One occasion so far remembered, none at all this season. If the decisions are correct then I have no issue but I tend to feel the walk across is window dressing if they pretty much follow the call from HQ

Not quite. It was one of those definite pens against liverpool and Liverpool were lucky/klopp pays off the ref when we get given it ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Anyone else like to see an end to the referee’s watch and hand the responsibility to a timekeeper? 30 or 35 minutes each way, ball put into play, clock starts, ball put out of play clock stops. After time, finish as per rugby, first clean break in play.

I’m getting fed up to the back teeth of seeing referees tap their watch but do nothing about the offenders.

Definitely and only getting 3-4 minutes injury time max when you know it has been stop start for substitutions and minor knocks. They seem much more on it for a major injury but don't seem to be able to keep tabs of time lost in normal circumstances. Think the rugby idea works much better but can't see it happening soon

D

Deleted member 15344

Chelsea win Club of the Year

So Salah comes 7th in the Balon D’Or and De Bruyne 8th

???

Didn’t realise that Messi has scored 2 more club goals than Mo this calendar year

6th Ronaldo
5th Kante
4th Benzema
3rd Jorginho
2nd
1st

D

Deleted member 16999

Just seen this, apparently it is the “selection criteria” given to journos for the Balon D’Or.

1. Individual and team performance in 2021 calendar year;
2. Talent and sportsmanship of the player;
3. The player’s overall career.

Why is 3 in there if it’s an annual award?

D

Deleted member 15344