The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Out of work so could start straight away. Apparently was close to getting the Spurs job in the summer. All good fun.

Immediately after leaving Roma, Fonseca was director Fabio Paratici's top choice to be manager of Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur. However, the advanced negotiations were scrapped on 17 June 2021[31] due to tax issues.

Guess the Sheiks are happy to cover his tax bill as well as his wages :oops:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Immediately after leaving Roma, Fonseca was director Fabio Paratici's top choice to be manager of Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur. However, the advanced negotiations were scrapped on 17 June 2021[31] due to tax issues.

Guess the Sheiks are happy to cover his tax bill as well as his wages :oops:
It does seem to be the way that most overseas players see there salary demands as being after tax. Scary. Not an issue at the Toon right now.

Swango1980

Visit site
It does seem to be the way that most overseas players see there salary demands as being after tax. Scary. Not an issue at the Toon right now.
Probably not that surprising. Generally, in the UK the highest individual income tax rate is 54% (Income Tax and National Insurance, I'm assuming a foreign manager requires to contribute to both). In Belgium the rate is 79.5%, in Finland 66.75%, Switzerland 59.7% and so on. So, if any of us working in the UK had an opportunity to go to any of these countries to work, we'd be more interested in what goes into our bank account, rather than the total salary. Otherwise we'd be in for a shock when we need to give more away and actually end up with less than we had in the UK.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably not that surprising. Generally, in the UK the highest individual income tax rate is 54% (Income Tax and National Insurance, I'm assuming a foreign manager requires to contribute to both). In Belgium the rate is 79.5%, in Finland 66.75%, Switzerland 59.7% and so on. So, if any of us working in the UK had an opportunity to go to any of these countries to work, we'd be more interested in what goes into our bank account, rather than the total salary. Otherwise we'd be in for a shock when we need to give more away and actually end up with less than we had in the UK.
Tax is part of life everywhere though. I guess it is just a different lens that we look through. Here we accept a salary figure, then understand that tax will be removed. In some countries the view is that is what I want and I want in my hand, after everything else is taken from you.

It isn't wrong, just a different view.

Swango1980

Visit site
Tax is part of life everywhere though. I guess it is just a different lens that we look through. Here we accept a salary figure, then understand that tax will be removed. In some countries the view is that is what I want and I want in my hand, after everything else is taken from you.

It isn't wrong, just a different view.
It is, but what I'm getting at is that if a person was on £50,000 a year in the UK, they shouldn't just be jumping at the chance to earn £60,000 a year in another country like Belgium. They'd be foolish to think they are earning more, if they then find out they need to give more to the government and are actually less well off.

If doesn't matter so much when you are working in the UK, and moving jobs within the UK, because it is easier just to compare the total salary (setting aside switching into different tax brackets). But if you are moving to a job in another country, then the best thing an individual can do is compare salaries by how much money actually goes into their account. You could even go to many countries and get a lower total salary, yet get much more into your account due to much smaller tax rates. My mate went to teach in Singapore, and I think for the first year or 2 they pay 0% tax, and after that it only goes up to something like 20%

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting perspective!

Allan Saint-Maximin @asaintmaximin
29m
You are, without a doubt, one of the most gentle people that I have ever met in the world of football. You have been a man of your word, a caring man and a fair man who never hesitated to protect us. I will never forget how you treated me, for that I will be forever grateful

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting perspective!

Allan Saint-Maximin @asaintmaximin
29m
You are, without a doubt, one of the most gentle people that I have ever met in the world of football. You have been a man of your word, a caring man and a fair man who never hesitated to protect us. I will never forget how you treated me, for that I will be forever grateful

Clearly never forced any of his players to read any of his "novels"... ;)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I will be washing my hair Sunday afternoon. The prospect of watching the United of late playing this Liverpool side is scary. I genuinely fear a proper battering.

As a Liverpool fan of 40 years plus, I'm never confident playing man U, seen it too many times before when we were the top dogs that United have played above and beyond their normal level.

I'll take any win.