The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem with a balanced side is the players aren’t good enough, you can carry 1 or 2 not 5 or 6.

Yes they can be improved with coaching but there’s a couple of players whose attitudes aren’t right.
Just watched the highlights Varane’s injury probably pulled McGuire back too early, he looked off the pace.
But the closing down was poor, I don’t think it’s a case of the players don’t know what to do .. the concept is simple. I don’t blame the manager either, I don’t see a need to explain at this level the closing down concept. I agree there should be an outlet but the press was poor. The midfield was poor, Pogba is a disaster, Fernandez is awol , Matic is not fast enough .. they need a proper cdm that breaks up the play. They also need to drill the wingers to cover the backs when they come up.
By not pressing up the pitch they don’t win the ball back and they definitely don’t have the capacity to pass back and build ..

Madrid are crap like this, they shipped a lot of goals .

D

Deleted member 1740

Just watched the highlights Varane’s injury probably pulled McGuire back too early, he looked off the pace.
But the closing down was poor, I don’t think it’s a case of the players don’t know what to do .. the concept is simple. I don’t blame the manager either, I don’t see a need to explain at this level the closing down concept. I agree there should be an outlet but the press was poor. The midfield was poor, Pogba is a disaster, Fernandez is awol , Matic is not fast enough .. they need a proper cdm that breaks up the play. They also need to drill the wingers to cover the backs when they come up.
By not pressing up the pitch they don’t win the ball back and they definitely don’t have the capacity to pass back and build ..

Madrid are crap like this, they shipped a lot of goals .

I'm currently watching it on SS2, Pogba is just strolling around the pitch. You would expect someone with his ability to drag the team by the scruff of the neck and lead by example. His hair is nice though.

A fully fit maguire is average too.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm currently watching it on SS2, Pogba is just strolling around the pitch. You would expect someone with his ability to drag the team by the scruff of the neck and lead by example. His hair is nice though.

A fully fit maguire is average too.
Ronaldo was the same...sauntering around waiting for the ball all the time.
Personally, I think bring him back has created a bigger problem.

D

Deleted member 1740

Ronaldo was the same...sauntering around waiting for the ball all the time.
Personally, I think bring him back has created a bigger problem.

Yeah can't disagree, but that's what you get with him.

He's still got it to win them games single handedly, I'm not sure he's got the desire to pick them up week after week.

AWB a great defender is an absolute myth.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Yeah can't disagree, but that's what you get with him.

He's still got it to win them games single handedly, I'm not sure he's got the desire to pick them up week after week.

AWB a great defender is an absolute myth.

I keep banging on about it, but it’s a really strange signing. Cavani will score goals - he has done wherever he’s played, and has shown at United that he still can. By signing Ronaldo, doubtless still capable of individual brilliance, it totally undermines any team ethic.

I watched the extended highlights last night with Neville’s words ringing in my ears and he was absolutely bang on the money. Once Leicester had managed to play through United’s front five, there was nothing to stop them. The midfield defensive void was massive, with Matic trying to do the work of those around him.

Time and again, as Leicester piled forward, you caught glimpses of Sancho, Greenwood and Pogba ambling back. Sancho’s tracking back, in particular, was truly awful, with Leicester finding acres of space down their right.

Is that down to the players or manager? Pogba will never change and has proven repeatedly he can’t be relied upon to work defensively. He’s a luxury, but one who can be afforded if those around him work hard. Those around him don’t.

Sancho and Greenwood are young enough to learn. It strikes me that they simply aren’t being told they have a responsibility when they lose the ball to work their nuts off to get it back. Neither would last five minutes in a Guardiola side.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sancho and Greenwood are young enough to learn. It strikes me that they simply aren’t being told they have a responsibility when they lose the ball to work their nuts off to get it back. Neither would last five minutes in a Guardiola side.
When Ronaldo was announed, it was said he would inspire those around him including the younger players or his work ethic etc.
Well it seems his ethic has rubbed off already.
Would those youngsters be allowed to amble around like that under Pep or Klopp?...No they would be off straight away with a flea in their ear.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
When Ronaldo was announed, it was said he would inspire those around him including the younger players or his work ethic etc.
Would those youngsters be allowed to amble around like that under Pep or Klopp?...No they would be off straight away with a flea in their ear.

Indeed.

And with regards to Pogba, I’m sick of people asking why he can’t reproduce his international form when he pulls on a United shirt. The answer is simple. When Pogba plays for France he has Kante there to do his dirty work.

Anyone who closely followed Leicester City’s incredible title win will tell you, it wasn’t Vardy who was the star performer that season. It was Kante.

I’d love to see him in a United shirt.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

United have saved tonnes of money on chocolate brownies and apple pie and custard though, so the deal is already paying for itself.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ronaldo is a great signing although yesterday wasn’t his best performance but overall he’s a great asset.
I’m more worried about Sancho,hasn’t done nothing since he’s arrived,yesterday playing in his apparent best position didn’t take the full back on once.
Players ambling around like it was a friendly,these players need a rollicking.
I’m a football coach and field my best team I feel best,if they amble around or don’t work hard I’m on to them,Ole is not.
Get em off and get the workers on.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well done chaps, onwards and upwards. Was surprised how poor Everton were to be honest. A goal down with 10 minutes to go and just standing of us. Would be disappointed if I was a supporter.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well done chaps, onwards and upwards. Was surprised how poor Everton were to be honest. A goal down with 10 minutes to go and just standing of us. Would be disappointed if I was a supporter.

Think it would have been different game with Richarlson and DCL

However I thought Godfrey was awful

Johnson did well filling in at the back for us

Don't get what we have to do to see vlasic