The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

As with all of those teams the key will be, can they score enough. Their attitude, style, organisation though is fabulous. Good fun to watch for their fans and for the neutral.

The difference for Brentford is they have a goalscorer in Toney and he has a partner that will continue to make chances and also take them.

Their issue imo is keeping the goals out and how they cope with injuries later

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Fabulous effort from Brentford whatever happens. No one will get an easy game at Brentford this year, a cracking addition to the PL.
I bumped into a Brentford fan at Looe yesterday. We had a right good matter. He is absolutely buzzing. He was at the Liverpool game and could not believe they took a point. Said the place is rocking at the moment.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Seen lots of pics on Twitter of the Newcastle owners with the fans in the city.
They’re proper buzzing up there.
Tbf they deserve it after Ashley.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m just braving the Leicester v United game on Sky, and Neville is spot on. United virtually played a 4-1-5, with Matic the unfortunate “1”.

Time and again I’m watching Leicester cut swathes through United with Ricardo, in particular, finding himself in acres of space. Huge gaps between our front five and everyone else with Sancho, Pogba and Greenwood simply ambling back when Leicester are in possession.

Shocking to watch.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seen lots of pics on Twitter of the Newcastle owners with the fans in the city.
They’re proper buzzing up there.
Tbf they deserve it after Ashley.
Remember Mike drinking pints with the fans in the away end one game in the early days? He was the saviour back then.

The new owners are doing all the right things at the moment but in all honesty there was such a disconnect before they would have to be pretty incompetent not to be welcomed with open arms. Saying that, plenty are incompetent, these are not. They have given fans hope, isn't that what all fans want?

The atmosphere tomorrow will be bouncing, the pubs will have ordered twice the usual number of barrels ?. It would be worth being in the city for the buzz, never mind the game.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Remember Mike drinking pints with the fans in the away end one game in the early days? He was the saviour back then.

The new owners are doing all the right things at the moment but in all honesty there was such a disconnect before they would have to be pretty incompetent not to be welcomed with open arms. Saying that, plenty are incompetent, these are not. They have given fans hope, isn't that what all fans want?

The atmosphere tomorrow will be bouncing, the pubs will have ordered twice the usual number of barrels ?. It would be worth being in the city for the buzz, never mind the game.
Let’s be honest the game as gone.
No prem club as got any morals,they’re only moaning about this because there’s going to be another club to compete with when trying to outbid the others in the transfer market.
As if they really give a monkeys about human rights in Saudi Arabia

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Assuming that Ole was to go, who would Utd fans want to take over from him? And ideally I'm talking about available and realistic targets, rather than Klopp, Pep, Nagelsmann etc. The only two that I can think of that might be approachable are Pochettino or Simeone. Not sure that Zidane would be a good choice, possibly Conte for a couple of years until a natural replacement comes along. The only others that might be a decent fit would seem to be Allegri, Ten Haag or Rogers. Left field suggestion Bielsa - at least they'd be playing attacking football again. What are the thoughts of our resident Man Utd fans?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Assuming that Ole was to go, who would Utd fans want to take over from him? And ideally I'm talking about available and realistic targets, rather than Klopp, Pep, Nagelsmann etc. The only two that I can think of that might be approachable are Pochettino or Simeone. Not sure that Zidane would be a good choice, possibly Conte for a couple of years until a natural replacement comes along. The only others that might be a decent fit would seem to be Allegri, Ten Haag or Rogers. Left field suggestion Bielsa - at least they'd be playing attacking football again. What are the thoughts of our resident Man Utd fans?

I’m not sure, and that’s a big part of the problem.

D

Deleted member 1740

I’m not sure, and that’s a big part of the problem.

I don’t think changing the manager will solve the problem totally. For me defensively they’re not good enough.

Then you’ve got Pogba whose not the same Pogba who plays for France.

I don’t think the team work hard enough as a team without the ball.

Then there’s the Ronaldo situation.

Nobody is taking responsibility neither.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don’t think changing the manager will solve the problem totally. For me defensively they’re not good enough.

A manager who picks a balanced side and coaches them how to defend as a side surely has a fair chance, squad is unbalanced too but isnt a million miles away if coached and set up better than it currently is with 1 or 2 additions

Swango1980

Visit site

It wouldn't surprise me if you put an individual like Fred into the Man City or Liverpool team, their fans would hail him one of the best defensive midfielders in the world. Not because they are deluded, but because Klopp or Pep would have him and the team playing in a way to maximise his abilities. Whereas, if United had Kante or Rice, soon we'd be laughing at how awful they are. Because Ole has no idea how to set up a football team tactically. Maguire was highly rated by many before coming to Utd, he now looks a shadow of that player.

I'm too young to remember what it was like before Fergie started winning trophies, and I know fans wanted him out. But, at least he had achieved things as a manager before Utd. He had grit. He had passion. He had charisma. Ole has achieved nothing and he has none of those traits. And, he has a team of players who, on paper could win trophies, so he can no longer hide behind trying to build a team. If Ole was in charge of the famous Brazilian sides with Pele, or Barcelona 10 or so years ago, he'd win nothing.

Yes, Utd have players who do not work hard enough. Yes, we can blame them to some extent. But, largely blame the manager. He should be shouting and screaming at them to wake up, he does nothing of the kind. I don't even think he can see it. When things go wrong, his only solution is to change a few players for the next game and hope that works. The Utd team are just too nice, and that largely comes from the manager. I don't just look at teams like City, Liverpool.or Chelsea and envy their managers. I look at Leicester, Brighton and Brentford and envy their managers.

D

Deleted member 15344

It wouldn't surprise me if you put an individual like Fred into the Man City or Liverpool team, their fans would hail him one of the best defensive midfielders in the world. Not because they are deluded, but because Klopp or Pep would have him and the team playing in a way to maximise his abilities. Whereas, if United had Kante or Rice, soon we'd be laughing at how awful they are. Because Ole has no idea how to set up a football team tactically. Maguire was highly rated by many before coming to Utd, he now looks a shadow of that player.

I'm too young to remember what it was like before Fergie started winning trophies, and I know fans wanted him out. But, at least he had achieved things as a manager before Utd. He had grit. He had passion. He had charisma. Ole has achieved nothing and he has none of those traits. And, he has a team of players who, on paper could win trophies, so he can no longer hide behind trying to build a team. If Ole was in charge of the famous Brazilian sides with Pele, or Barcelona 10 or so years ago, he'd win nothing.

Yes, Utd have players who do not work hard enough. Yes, we can blame them to some extent. But, largely blame the manager. He should be shouting and screaming at them to wake up, he does nothing of the kind. I don't even think he can see it. When things go wrong, his only solution is to change a few players for the next game and hope that works. The Utd team are just too nice, and that largely comes from the manager. I don't just look at teams like City, Liverpool.or Chelsea and envy their managers. I look at Leicester, Brighton and Brentford and envy their managers.
Klopp and Pep are good but they aren’t that good - he is just not very good

And Maguire was highly rated because he was English and is good in the air - people thought he was the next John Terry but IMO he was overrated on the back of the World Cup - decent player but not a top level CB

As for OGS - he isn’t good enough , never has been and he hasnt proven himself at the top level , was fine as a caretaker but as soon as Pochettino was free they should have grabbed him - no chance now. He spends the whole game sat down quiet as a mouse , you see Klopp and Pep constantly on their feet directing , barking instructions, giving encouragement. His Ferguson clone interviews are also cringeworthy.

They have some big games coming now

Swango1980

Visit site
Klopp and Pep are good but they aren’t that good - he is just not very good

And Maguire was highly rated because he was English and is good in the air - people thought he was the next John Terry but IMO he was overrated on the back of the World Cup - decent player but not a top level CB

As for OGS - he isn’t good enough , never has been and he hasnt proven himself at the top level , was fine as a caretaker but as soon as Pochettino was free they should have grabbed him - no chance now. He spends the whole game sat down quiet as a mouse , you see Klopp and Pep constantly on their feet directing , barking instructions, giving encouragement. His Ferguson clone interviews are also cringeworthy.

They have some big games coming now
I wouldn't say Ferguson clone interviews. He may dream of that, but the interviews have zero substance. After yesterday, he said MAYBE we need to change some things. Really!? I'd say definitely, and it also sounds like he has no clue what needs to change.

Ole is like the person who gets a great job because his dad was owner of the company, rather than getting it on merit.

D

Deleted member 1740

A manager who picks a balanced side and coaches them how to defend as a side surely has a fair chance, squad is unbalanced too but isnt a million miles away if coached and set up better than it currently is with 1 or 2 additions

The problem with a balanced side is the players aren’t good enough, you can carry 1 or 2 not 5 or 6.

Yes they can be improved with coaching but there’s a couple of players whose attitudes aren’t right.

D

Deleted member 1740

We’ve seen many posts on here slagging Henderson and Bobby saying they’re not good enough or wouldn’t get into this team or that team. Football isn’t played on paper and having a team full of galactico’s rarely works for a sustained period of time.

Fred wouldn’t be the best CM in the world if he played for us, Klopp would use him do to a particular job for the TEAM and there’s no doubt he’d do well like Henderson does.

Maguire was a big fish in a small pond. The price tag was excessive and his ability is limited. It’s simple things like positioning and being too slow. He makes more last ditch tackles than the real quality CB’s do. He’s average at best.

Ferguson had loads of qualities and he was a ruthless bully. He instilled fear into those yernited sides. The game has changed, no manager can succeed that way with these players.

Shouting and screaming at players rarely works neither. He needs to take responsibility and those players do too.

The ideal scenario is for Yernited to put in a performance in Europe on Wednesday then we roll them over on Sunday ?

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Right, time to talk up Spurs chances in the cauldron that is St James Park this afternoon. Same Newcastle team, same manager but can the atmosphere swing it for the Toon?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Right, time to talk up Spurs chances in the cauldron that is St James Park this afternoon. Same Newcastle team, same manager but can the atmosphere swing it for the Toon?

Unless the spurs of a few years ago show up I can only see a Newcastle win

The mood around the club / city seems to be that of jubilation.. party time

Spurs arent in the best of form. Kane can't seem to score

They have 2 players isolating with covid

And just look disjointed

2-1 Newcastle

D

Deleted member 1740

I’m calling it a draw. Spurs desperately need Kane firing on all cylinders.