The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
U

User62651

Delighted to see Athletico Madrid got put out last night from Champions League. Last thing we needed in the semi and final was that lot again with their anti-football and Simeone's miserable face. Instead we get some new blood in RB Leipzig playing PSG I believe in last 4. Both 'project' teams for minted owners but it's the modern way.

Likely top game is this evening - winner of old war horses Bayern and Barca look best placed to win ECL but if City turn up assuming they can get past Lyon tomorrow then anything's possible. My head says Bayern tonight on form alone but the heat and location may suit the Catalans slower tempo better.

Bayern v Barca with no crowd is really really sad. Hope the IT wizards can make a fake crowd sound about right.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Delighted to see Athletico Madrid got put out last night from Champions League. Last thing we needed in the semi and final was that lot again with their anti-football and Simeone's miserable face. Instead we get some new blood in RB Leipzig playing PSG I believe in last 4. Both 'project' teams for minted owners but it's the modern way.

Likely top game is this evening - winner of old war horses Bayern and Barca look best placed to win ECL but if City turn up assuming they can get past Lyon tomorrow then anything's possible. My head says Bayern tonight on form alone but the heat and location may suit the Catalans slower tempo better.

Bayern v Barca with no crowd is really really sad. Hope the IT wizards can make a fake crowd sound about right.

The irony of watching Simeone complain that Leipzig were time wasting at the end was a scene of joy :)

D

Deleted member 1418

comment below says it all ;)

gonna miss him or buying so many superstars youre happy?

I'm not happy that he's gone and joined your mob!! ? ?

To be honest I'm not that bothered he's gone. Yes he was decent when football resumed and put in a number of really good performances, but as the senior player at the start of the season some of his performances were a bit indifferent.

With Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi and Ziyech occupying the wide positions (and hopefully Havertz) he'd be down the pecking order in the attacking positions (although bit concerned over Pulisic's injury record).

I'm more concerned over the goalkeeper and defence at the moment ???

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not happy that he's gone and joined your mob!! ? ?

To be honest I'm not that bothered he's gone. Yes he was decent when football resumed and put in a number of really good performances, but as the senior player at the start of the season some of his performances were a bit indifferent.

With Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi and Ziyech occupying the wide positions (and hopefully Havertz) he'd be down the pecking order in the attacking positions (although bit concerned over Pulisic's injury record).

I'm more concerned over the goalkeeper and defence at the moment ???

got a centre half you can have back nice and cheap, will drive him over myself for you ;)

D

Deleted member 1418

got a centre half you can have back nice and cheap, will drive him over myself for you ;)

????

In a back three he's probably still better than what we've got currently...... unfortunately ????

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
See that Ozil is refusing to leave Arsenal and will see out his contract. Of course you will on 350k per week and not getting a game. Don't believe for one minute he's any intention of really pressing to get back in Arteta's plans https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53763257

I’ve not got a issue for him to sit on his arse and get that amount of money, more fool Arsenal for signing him on those terms ?

What I thought disingenuous of him was to refuse the 12% pay cut that most players and staff agreed to, think he played most games pre lockdown since the start again he hasn't played any, refusing to take the pay cut might be a reason he's not being selected.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve not got a issue for him to sit on his arse and get that amount of money, more fool Arsenal for signing him on those terms ?

What I thought disingenuous of him was to refuse the 12% pay cut that most players and staff agreed to.

He refused it being forced on them at short notice without agreements that no one else would lose their jobs etc, if anything he's been proven correct with the club making 55 redundancies including most of the scouting department

I sound like an apologist for him but think the finger needs pointing more at the board/owner

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He refused it being forced on them at short notice without agreements that no one else would lose their jobs etc, if anything he's been proven correct with the club making 55 redundancies including most of the scouting department

I sound like an apologist for him but think the finger needs pointing more at the board/owner

Ok you will know more about the story than me , just what I read on the bbc site stated most of the players accepted the pay cut, so how does that pan out with the players that accepted the cut? will this not make him and the others that didn’t take a cut unpopular?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ok you will know more about the story than me , just what I read on the bbc site stated most of the players accepted the pay cut, so how does that pan out with the players that accepted the cut? will this not make him and the others that didn’t take a cut unpopular?

https://theathletic.co.uk/1991627/2...-job-losses-mikel-arteta-muslim-lives-matter/

worth a read, clearly a lot more going on between him and the club sadly

as far as i know his was the only name ever released as to having rejected it too, no one seems to be calling out the other 2 players who did so

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Saw city interested in winks for 40 million

He's clearly not a city player

Reminds me of tom cleverly

Home grown yes but 40 million?

If I was city and willing to waste 40 million I'd buy rice for whatever we charge and he is better and can cover defence aswell

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Willian looks thrilled to be a Gooner.....

View attachment 32028

Because he twisted and bust!

Wanted a 3yr contract, I thought we were very generous in offering 2 not 1, so as a result he twisted....and lost.

Delusional gooners on social media saying he refused us to go to Arsenal, when the truth is Arsenal were the only daft club to offer 3yrs to a 32yr old ?

Good player, will still contribute, but 3yrs was never going to happen, whatever his service.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Because he twisted and bust!

Wanted a 3yr contract, I thought we were very generous in offering 2 not 1, so as a resulted he twisted....and lost.

Delusional gooners on social media saying he refused us to go to Arsenal, when the truth is Arsenal were the only daft club to offer 3yrs to a 32yr old ?

Good player, will still contribute, but 3yrs was never going to happen, whatever his service.

not sure which arsenal fans you follow who have said this, not seen anything like that from all the arsenal fans i know

Fish

Banned
Visit site
not sure which arsenal fans you follow who have said this, not seen anything like that from all the arsenal fans i know

They’re probably the same ones that all clubs have that wrongly get on the back of players & clubs, live in deep Africa/Nigeria, never been to a live match.

Willian had some terrible negative posters from ‘those type’, no doubt they’ll follow him to Arsenal now?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Rumour has it the scouting dept haven't been part of the redundancies. They were on contracts that have been binned, so no pay out, and can be replaced.

Redundancies were more to do with hospitality side of things, as there is no requirement at this time.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Rumour has it the scouting dept haven't been part of the redundancies. They were on contracts that have been binned, so no pay out, and can be replaced.

Redundancies were more to do with hospitality side of things, as there is no requirement at this time.

Board doesnt do themselves any favours with how they have communicated the redundancies and job losses, a few days after winning the cup final and blaming Covid without clear explanations, pretty soon after getting players to take a pay cut to "save other jobs" and then rushing off to pay fortunes to agents and for new player contracts. At the same time theyre happy to pick and choose which players they are supporting publicly. Cant say Im much of a fan of the way the club is run