The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Wolf

Visit site
Could they not have just spoken to the shop, sent it back for a replacement? Why the need to race to social media to complain about something that is easy to resolve? Even more bizarre when it looks bad on your own club.

On the upside at least our new sponsor is not one of the many betting companies that are invading football :D
Maybe they did speak to them, but as with all things in modern society its inevitable it will end up on SM for a bit of attention.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe they did speak to them, but as with all things in modern society its inevitable it will end up on SM for a bit of attention.

I'm sure plenty of these kinds of posts are for attention, but more and more companies only seem to respond when you post to them on social media. It does my head in when companies ignore my emails for days/weeks but respond to a social media post in a matter of hours!

Wolf

Visit site
I'm sure plenty of these kinds of posts are for attention, but more and more companies only seem to respond when you post to them on social media. It does my head in when companies ignore my emails for days/weeks but respond to a social media post in a matter of hours!
Does seem in modern society many companies only respond to negative SM appearance rather than complaints

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Best of luck to your boys, but it seems 'written in the stars' for Brentford in my view with the new stadium etc.

At least the playoffs are 3rd v 4th. Seems mad to me that the team 11 points off either of you could have gone up instead but that's the way it works!
I've always thought the play-offs are a bit of a crap system, designed to make more money for Wembley Stadium if anything. Often the team finishing 6th is a side that just hit a patch of form towards the end of the season, then they carry that form into the play-offs meaning the chance of them going up from 6th place is actually quite high. I prefer the German system where the 3rd best side has a play-off against the 3rd worst side from the top flight. That obviously shows you which side deserves to be there more.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I've always thought the play-offs are a bit of a crap system, designed to make more money for Wembley Stadium if anything. Often the team finishing 6th is a side that just hit a patch of form towards the end of the season, then they carry that form into the play-offs meaning the chance of them going up from 6th place is actually quite high. I prefer the German system where the 3rd best side has a play-off against the 3rd worst side from the top flight. That obviously shows you which side deserves to be there more.
My team rescued itself in that this year, playing an 'amazing 0-0' at home, and then progressing through a 'dominant 2-2' at a 2nd division team due to the away goal rule. Totally undeserved but I take it.
To be fair, we gave away a clumsy penalty in the 98th minute of stoppage time, should have won that, which would have won me £70 as well.

I really dislike the relegation playoff in Germany, but I also dislike the promotion playoff over here. It should be straight up and down in any league system.

Brentford is my adopted team because I lived there for 12ish year (never been to the stadium) and they should have gone up before. It's their time!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Brentford is my adopted team because I lived there for 12ish year (never been to the stadium) and they should have gone up before. It's their time!

Not sure about "their time" but very much like a teams name being on the cup I think they are destined to win tomorrow and start life in their new stadium as a PL side. I'e gone 2-0 Brentford win especially as Fulham lost twice in the league to them. Hope it's a half decent game and at least we give it a go rather than doing what he have done and have loads of possession and do nothing with it going forward and defending poorly. Another 90 minutes of agony beckons. Whoever wins I think will need to make some signings as neither are strong enough with their current squads

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Infantino is under criminal investigation yet hasn’t been suspended pending that investigation. I wonder why he doesn’t want to give up his power to his second in command...

Same old Fifa.

4LEX

Visit site

Disagree. The German system is rubbish and the games are usually dire. If applied to England they'd be weighted massively in favour of the Premier League side. Bournemouth v Brentford would end one way, 9/10 times.

The Play Offs have been one of the best inventions and given English many more amazing moments than the PL title races over the same time.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Nah the play offs are class

We have been involved in 3. Lost 1 where we finished 4th, won two in which we finished 6th and 3rd so had almost all the options covered

Play off semi final at Upton park Matty etherington top corner screamer against Ipswich one of best atmospheres I've been at

The lost final not so great but I was at the one we won last (at the loss aswell)

It's so so much more interesting than top 3

Should do for champions League! Top 4 aren't champs make it top 2 get in and 6th-3rd fight it out for one place and fa cup winner gets other .. make it more interesting

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Willian has just signed for arsenal on a free. Good bit of business imo. He will definitely improve Arsenal, a quality player.

Jury out here, decent player yes but another the wrong side of 30 on chunky wages in a position we are not crying out for someone, some chatter hes going to play centrally not wide too. Our history of players we buy from Chelsea not great either lol. If its in addition to what we need and affordable then ok, if its instead of then less impressed but feels a little bit like often does that we get whos available/pushed our way rather than who we actually want

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jury out here, decent player yes but another the wrong side of 30 on chunky wages in a position we are not crying out for someone, some chatter hes going to play centrally not wide too. Our history of players we buy from Chelsea not great either lol. If its in addition to what we need and affordable then ok, if its instead of then less impressed but feels a little bit like often does that we get whos available/pushed our way rather than who we actually want
I think you can get 2 good years out him, year 3 you can move him on the Middle East or the US if he starts to decline noticeably. I get he is getting on but he has always struck me as a very professional player, looks after himself, has the right attitude. He can improve the outlook within the camp as well as stregthen you. It makes sense, to me, for where Arsenal are right now.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think you can get 2 good years out him, year 3 you can move him on the Middle East or the US if he starts to decline noticeably. I get he is getting on but he has always struck me as a very professional player, looks after himself, has the right attitude. He can improve the outlook within the camp as well as stregthen you. It makes sense, to me, for where Arsenal are right now.

Wouldnt argue with any of that, but we spent 70m on someone in that position last summer as well as having some promising youngters that can play there, its really not a priority for where we need strengthening (centre half and centre midfield for anyone whos watched less than 10 mins of an arsenal game lol) and I hate to think how much kick back Jorabchian has pocketed for this deal

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wouldnt argue with any of that, but we spent 70m on someone in that position last summer as well as having some promising youngters that can play there, its really not a priority for where we need strengthening (centre half and centre midfield for anyone whos watched less than 10 mins of an arsenal game lol) and I hate to think how much kick back Jorabchian has pocketed for this deal
I don't really watch much of Arsenal so I certainly would not disagree with your assesment. The bits I have seen, the £70m player looks as good a deal for you as Iwobi does for us so I am not sure Willian will be doing too much blocking there. Maybe he will help bring him through? You are paying him big money but with no transfer fee so that is the trade off.

I can't read stories about agents any more. So corrupt, so much money being drained through them. Massively depressing and an absolute scourge on the game.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

"The team finishing third in the league has succeeded in winning promotion via the playoffs twelve times out of thirty-three seasons, up to and including 2019, with the 4th-placed team managing six promotions, the 5th-placed team managing ten and the 6th-placed team managing five."

The best team (i.e. the one finishing third) goes up more often than any other.

I think the playoffs are great. This season Fulham and Brentford would have been scrapping it out for third, but below that there would have been nothing to play for. Season before would have been even worse as Norwich, Sheff United and Leeds were nailed on for top three.