The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
One for Slime or any of the UTD fans.
Do you actually rate Rashford as a player?
Obviously he’s a good person,but personally i don’t rate him & think UTD Will keep him no matter what because he’s good for the image.

I’m an Old Trafford regular and I’m afraid my answer has to be that Rashford is massively overrated.

I disagree that his best role is through the middle primarily because his finishing is nowhere near good enough. I’ve probably said so here that, whilst he is capable of the extraordinary, all too often he makes an utter hash of the ordinary. For my money Martial is an infinitely better finisher but his attitude is appalling.

My other beef with Rashford is his wastefulness in possession. Far too often he’ll run into trouble - disappearing down a blind alley of two or three opposing defenders and ending up on his backside rather than taking another option. It’s infuriating to watch. I accept he has been carrying an injury, but no injury impacts on decision making to the extent that the wrong ones are made too often.

I am aware of what the Opta stats tell us, but they don’t tell the full story. He’s nowhere near warranting the tag world class, and was exceptionally lucky to be in the Euro 2020 squad. I hear some ludicrous sums of money being mentioned when transfer fees are being discussed and would gladly see United sell Rashford if the price was right.

Just my opinion as a frustrated United fan.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
On Monday morning on my way to golf, listening to Talksport, Ally Mcoist and Co were lauding up and waxing lyrical about Italy. Let's not forget, they didn't beat us in 120 mins and their goal was scrappy to say the least.
What they did do well was the high press, which we didn't do enough of. Its how all the top teams play now.
I've just watched Sanchos penalty, he took it well, but the giant keeper went the right way, as he did for Saka's. Unfortunately Rashford missed after sending the keeper the wrong way - so unlike him.
We got to a major final for the first time in 55 years and lost out on penalties.
It's been said that a younger confident footballer has no fear and can handle the pressure. Gareth Southgate trusted and had faith in his players, it could so easily gone our way.
I think GS is the man to lead us into the World Cup and sure he and all his team have learned so much from Euro 2020.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m an Old Trafford regular and I’m afraid my answer has to be that Rashford is massively overrated.

I disagree that his best role is through the middle primarily because his finishing is nowhere near good enough. I’ve probably said so here that, whilst he is capable of the extraordinary, all too often he makes an utter hash of the ordinary. For my money Martial is an infinitely better finisher but his attitude is appalling.

My other beef with Rashford is his wastefulness in possession. Far too often he’ll run into trouble - disappearing down a blind alley of two or three opposing defenders and ending up on his backside rather than taking another option. It’s infuriating to watch. I accept he has been carrying an injury, but no injury impacts on decision making to the extent that the wrong ones are made too often.

I am aware of what the Opta stats tell us, but they don’t tell the full story. He’s nowhere near warranting the tag world class, and was exceptionally lucky to be in the Euro 2020 squad. I hear some ludicrous sums of money being mentioned when transfer fees are being discussed and would gladly see United sell Rashford if the price was right.

Just my opinion as a frustrated United fan.
I'm not a Utd fan obviously, but that is 100% my impression of Rashford as well. Formerly a striker, now a left-winger because he can't finish consistently but has a trick in the locker and a bit of pace, and that's about it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I'm not a Utd fan obviously, but that is 100% my impression of Rashford as well. Formerly a striker, now a left-winger because he can't finish consistently but has a trick in the locker and a bit of pace, and that's about it.
I honestly think that Rashford has never had a manager to show him exactly what he wants. I don’t think he has been properly coached for years. Ave seen him play against City and thought he was world class, in the same half Ave thought he has his boots on the wrong feet.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Rice is really underrated for the technical side of his game, because he perhaps doesn't always show it. He prefers to keep things simple as a holding player, but if he has to go past players or pick someone out over distance, he is capable of it. Maybe a lack of confidence on the ball, or as I say, just a willingness to keep things simple in his defensive role. I think if and when he does go to a big club, we'll see just how good he can be.

It's frustrating watching him for England

Gets limited to holding.. rather than the box to box he plays for us , only people who understand the game appreciate how good he is at what he does

Plus they don't go through the trouble of changing his nationality if he is rubbish lol

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m guessing you didn’t see Shaw’s contribution.

I did see it but that's not what I was posting at all

I was saying Southgate gets moaned at for "8 defensive players" a simple change to saka at the back with taa makes that 2 more attacking players..

Also gets grealish (or Sancho) in the team without taking saka out who had a good tournament

Shaw had a good few games but all our left backs are very good options .. chilwell didn't even get a game and he is an outstanding player.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Last three posts talk about about Sterling not playing well in the last game, but nothing was changed. Rice not playing his normal game, holding rather than box to box. And Chillwell a european cup winner not even getting his boots dirty, in fact trippier being picked over him in the first game. Theres a common denominator in why that happene. ?

D

Deleted member 16999

4 days after the Final and people still doubting Southgate and his selections!! Baffles me! Take a look back pre-comp, apparently some on here were saying we’d struggle to get out the group and if we did we’d have no chance against France, Portugal or Germany:rolleyes:

How many tipped Italy to win etc etc, very few were stating how Bellingham or Saka should start, now they’re being lauded as World Class etc.

We know/knew how Southgate sets up, he isn’t suddenly going to change this for qualifiers or comps, he may rest players during qualifiers etc, but I’d seriously suggest not much will change over the next 12 months barring injury, why should it though?

I also believe we aren’t giving the Italians enough credit, to state Gareth should of done this, that or the other, who can say the Italians wouldn’t of changed their tactics to match it?

Having TAA fit, Henderson (both of them) fully fit, and a bit more experience for the youngsters and we’ve got a great squad going forward.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Gets limited to holding.. rather than the box to box he plays for us , only people who understand the game appreciate how good he is at what he does

Plus they don't go through the trouble of changing his nationality if he is rubbish lol

Really? People having a different option don't understand the game ???

He may not be a holding midfielder, but he's definitely a defensive one.

If we are rating him as Box to box he is poor. 2 goals last year (one a pen) and one an assist. Whilst all b2b are slightly better at one thing than the other, that's a poor return.

He's final ball isn't good atm, I'd still have him in the England team as he is the best midfielder we have defensively, but I'm not sure if he gets his move he will become an English, Kante, fabinho, Fernandinho.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really? People having a different option don't understand the game ???

He may not be a holding midfielder, but he's definitely a defensive one.

If we are rating him as Box to box he is poor. 2 goals last year (one a pen) and one an assist. Whilst all b2b are slightly better at one thing than the other, that's a poor return.

He's final ball isn't good atm, I'd still have him in the England team as he is the best midfielder we have defensively, but I'm not sure if he gets his move he will become an English, Kante, fabinho, Fernandinho.

He is defensive but not out and out. As in for England until the final he was litterally break up play. Play it sideways to someone else

For us he picks a pass or drives it forward to someone in the attacking half

More like the 3 you listed rather than his break up play and then get rid asap backwards or sideways

D

Deleted member 15344

How often did he play as a “box to box” centre mid in his 130 plus games for West Ham ? Stat wise for a box to box mid they aren’t great 5 goals ( couple of headers from corners ) and 4 assists don’t show a very productive box to box centre mid - players like Gerrard , Lampard , Scholes etc were box to box.

And if people dont agree with an opinion which is prob tainted by club bias they don’t understand the game ?

Rice wouldn’t start in mid field for - Liverpool and for City only in a holding role , same at UTD.

He is a decent player , he looks at the same level of what Dier produced when playing for England.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How often did he play as a “box to box” centre mid in his 130 plus games for West Ham ? Stat wise for a box to box mid they aren’t great 5 goals ( couple of headers from corners ) and 4 assists don’t show a very productive box to box centre mid - players like Gerrard , Lampard , Scholes etc were box to box.

And if people dont agree with an opinion which is prob tainted by club bias they don’t understand the game ?

Rice wouldn’t start in mid field for - Liverpool and for City only in a holding role , same at UTD.

He is a decent player , he looks at the same level of what Dier produced when playing for England.
I think you're right and wrong in equal measure. I wouldn't describe him as box-to-box either, he's certainly more on the defensive side as a centre mid. He's partnered well with Soucek who gets forward more. But to say he's no better than Dier is absolutely hilarious. :ROFLMAO: Dier did an ok impression of a holding player when we had no other options, but Rice is levels above him.

He would 100% start for Man Utd, they are crying out for a player like him really. (Obviously Liverpool have Fabinho doing that role, while City have Rodri, so his starts would be more limited there of course.)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think Rice in the final especially did break through the lines forward a few times.
But when he got there the three forwards looked like they were standing in Burtons window.

But my honest opinion of GS is he has blind faith in his system like a lot of other top managers.
He is unwilling to change anything because he thinks he has it right.
That whole forward line in the final should have been changed.
The team actually played well but up front we were crap.
That’s what worries me all that talent on the bench that can totally change a game but it just wasn’t used .

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Think Rice in the final especially did break through the lines forward a few times.
But when he got there the three forwards looked like they were standing in Burtons window.

But my honest opinion of GS is he has blind faith in his system like a lot of other top managers.
That’s what worries me all that talent on the bench that can totally change a game but it just wasn’t used .

I agree with all of this.

His tactics are poor considering all the attacking talent we have avaliable. Italy have brilliant defence but also attack with flair - no reason why England couldnt do the same other than a manager too stuck in his own ways.

A better manager would have brought football home.

D

Deleted member 16999

“Surely he’s proved his worth as his system worked.”

When? And how do you know bringing on these “untried” players would of worked?

You can’t have one without the other, the “team” was 11 players trying their hardest and if forwards don’t get the service, you have to ask why!

That’s what worries me all that talent on the bench that can totally change a game but it just wasn’t used.

Can you show any examples of any game anywhere, anytime when players of that limited experience have done that?
See above.