The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

I get the defensive thing, but you can be defensive and still create. Too many back passes still the midfield lacked physical bite. Saka was awesome Grealish was good , but Sterling.. no. Henderson changed the momentum, like him or not he created impetus.
Kane was better , but DCL needs a run out, and Sancho needs to be on. Jude Bellingham I don’t know but I want to see more before offering an opinion

A lot of times the players seemed to be scared to try things , that’s what made both Saka and Grealish look so much better - they played without fear and tried things but there was a huge gap at times between the front 4 and the back , when Henderson went on he looked to fill that gap and drag the back line closer to bring in a higher press

Kane really looks shot , no confidence or energy , it was a very good finish from Sterling but he was annoymous beyond that. DCL should have been given a good 30 mins and also Sancho , Bellingham just looked out of sorts

I expect for the game against France/Germany etc he will go back to the team from the first game - missed a chance today to get some minutes for some players

4LEX

Visit site
Kane is building up fitness, he's still one of the best strikers in the world. You don't lose that in 3 games FFS. He's had one chance in 3 games due to the rubbish service and negative tactics.

DCL is decent but he wouldn't get a game at any club in the Top 6. That's his level. England's best chance is giving Kane minutes to build fitness and hoping Southgate stumbles on his best formation and starting eleven.

This tournament has disaster written all over it though.

D

Deleted member 16999

I understand the frustration with Kane, but as much as DCL has had a good season he isn’t the answer, DCL is excellent at holding the ball up, but that’s no good if the support following up doesn’t happen.

Most of his goals come inside the box and right now I don’t think England as a team are providing the chances, that’s why you get Kane, Sterling etc dropping too far back.

I know it’ll never happen but if you played Kane and DCL together you’d get more from DCL and they’d work well together imo.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Kane is building up fitness, he's still one of the best strikers in the world. You don't lose that in 3 games FFS. He's had one chance in 3 games due to the rubbish service and negative tactics.

DCL is decent but he wouldn't get a game at any club in the Top 6. That's his level. England's best chance is giving Kane minutes to build fitness and hoping Southgate stumbles on his best formation and starting eleven.

This tournament has disaster written all over it though.
We miss Vardy … we never looked for a similar striker to replace him. We do well when we have a fast striker .. or maybe the answer is to play someone quick close to Kane, instead of wide or behind him.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Kane just looks like he knows the balls not coming quick enough.
In the box he’s on the back foot and not getting across the front of the defenders.
But he won a few headers from long kicks with nobody getting past him to pick them up.

but two wins and a draw with no goals against is very good.
Even if it’s not very good to watch.
We will need to improve to go further.
Better opposition might make us step it up. Hopefully!

4LEX

Visit site
We miss Vardy … we never looked for a similar striker to replace him. We do well when we have a fast striker .. or maybe the answer is to play someone quick close to Kane, instead of wide or behind him.

We've got the fastest wide forwards in the world in Rashford and Sancho, the most productive too based on goals and assists. Yet both have hardly got a kick.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If England football team were a vehicle it would be a wheelbarrow.
And as Notts county would sing " the wheels fell off ".

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The first half gave a glimpse into the potential and quality of this England side. The second half reflected Southgate's negative hold on the side. Yes players got minutes and the half was disjointed but holding onto a 1-0 win is the Mourinho way and he'll do the same when it counts.

Glad to see Scotland go out after their idiotic fans invaded London and took nothing more than a point and the Delta variant back with them :sneaky:

On your 3 performances chances are you'll have 1 more game and out too

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I understand the frustration with Kane, but as much as DCL has had a good season he isn’t the answer, DCL is excellent at holding the ball up, but that’s no good if the support following up doesn’t happen.

Most of his goals come inside the box and right now I don’t think England as a team are providing the chances, that’s why you get Kane, Sterling etc dropping too far back.

I know it’ll never happen but if you played Kane and DCL together you’d get more from DCL and they’d work well together imo.

Generally I agree. The only alternative that I can see, and again it's one that I don't think will ever happen, is to try some Pep tactics and play Foden (?) in the false 9 position and go for a 4-1-4-1 formation. Pickford, Trippier, McGuire, Stones, Shaw, Rice, Sterling, Grealish, Henderson/Mount, Saka/Sancho, Foden. Let's get as much of our attacking talent on the pitch as possible and let the opposition worry about us rather than us worrying about them.

Doesn't necessarily have to be Foden in the false 9, could stick Sterling up there and just have a completely mobile front 5.