The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
@williamalex1 I did a quick Google, Hungary have opted out of the EU vaccine scheme and have gone solo. They have bought vaccines from Russia and China along with the ones we are using. They are well advanced in terms of jabs across the population. They are also using their own vaccine passport scheme for entry into bars, restaurants etc. The people at the game will have had 1 jab minimum and most likely 2 based on what I've read. If we put to one side any worries, or not, isn't it great to see a stadium full of fans again.

I don't know the latest, but I heard that the China vaccine wasn't particularly effective (https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n969), and the countries in South America that bought it were struggling with the virus despite a "successful" roll out (https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1023) e.g. Chile.

Not sure I'd want to be in that stadium last night, even being double jabbed as I am, wouldn't want that just yet.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know the latest, but I heard that the China vaccine wasn't particularly effective (https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n969), and the countries in South America that bought it were struggling with the virus despite a "successful" roll out (https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1023) e.g. Chile.

Not sure I'd want to be in that stadium last night, even being double jabbed as I am, wouldn't want that just yet.
I heard the same, I believe Brazil went big on it and are paying the price.

I think there are 3 camps in terms of crowds a/ can't wait to be there, b/ no way would I want to be there c/ I'd quite like to be there but not with it being full. The psychological damage of all of this will take some undoing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The German's looked toothless. Very disappointing.
Their biggest problem is not having a striker. Over the years they had Klose or Mario Gomez to play off of, but now it's Muller who's never really been a central striker, or Werner who isn't a targetman or much of a goalscorer. They even brought on Volland who's never really been in the picture much for them before.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Their biggest problem is not having a striker. Over the years they had Klose or Mario Gomez to play off of, but now it's Muller who's never really been a central striker, or Werner who isn't a targetman or much of a goalscorer. They even brought on Volland who's never really been in the picture much for them before.
How can a country with that many active players, that much history etc not have a list of strikers lined up to play? Crazy. Did Lloris even have to make a save? I'm not sure he did. I appreciate France are very strong but I still expected more from Germany.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How can a country with that many active players, that much history etc not have a list of strikers lined up to play? Crazy. Did Lloris even have to make a save? I'm not sure he did. I appreciate France are very strong but I still expected more from Germany.
Well it's a same as how a country like England can't produce one good goalkeeper. :LOL: Spain are also lacking a striker at the moment. It's just a generational thing, obviously you can't really control what sort of players will emerge over the years.

sunshine

Visit site
I don't know who this Dykes feller is, but he is absolutely useless. Can't believe they started this clown over Adams.

He's been out of his depth in the Championship all season. He works hard but doesn't have the pace, skill or finishing quality to succeed at Championship level. Scored a few goals at the back end of the season mainly because Charlie Austin and Willock were on fire and creating chances on a plate for him.

He's a solid League 1 striker, or Scottish football.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same for us with a CB really.
I'd say our CB options are better than their striker options

@Orikoru I'd say the same with our keepers. It's been said before but Pickford has never made a howler for England. Henderson could have pushed him this year but he largely sat getting splinters and is now out injured anyway.

All of the above are opinions of course.

sunshine

Visit site
The German's looked toothless. Very disappointing.

I believe that the excellence of France made Germany look poor.

I don't count Germany as one of the favourites for the tournament but they are still clearly a very good side who are used to dominating possession. France performance was so good for an opening game, controlled the pace and flow. First time this tournament I can use the word masterclass.

D

Deleted member 29109

I'd say our CB options are better than their striker options

@Orikoru I'd say the same with our keepers. It's been said before but Pickford has never made a howler for England. Henderson could have pushed him this year but he largely sat getting splinters and is now out injured anyway.

All of the above are opinions of course.

I'd agree with you on our keepers. There aren't too many in this tournament I would have over Pickford.

sunshine

Visit site
I hadn't looked at this thread for a week. I had a really good giggle skimming through the comments from the England "experts". Some real insights from the fella in the pub, top sources. I have more reliable sources in my kitchen cupboard, Heinz and HP. Bizarre mixture of negativity and exasperation - Sterling is a proven international player with a good recent record who fits the England playing style better than Sancho etc.

Some great observations too - I have identified the voices of reason!