The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29109

You mean aside from Donnarumma, Courtois, Schmeichel, Hradecky, Szczesny, Fabianski, Lloris, Neuer, Gulacsi and Patricio?

I'll give you Schmeichel and Nauyer. The others are no better that Pickford. And his distribution is better than most.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll give you Schmeichel and Nauyer. The others are no better that Pickford. And his distribution is better than most.
Firstly, they're all better than him but especially Donnarumma, Courtois & Lloris who are world class. Secondly, I'm kind of old school in that I like my keeper to keep the ball out of the net first and foremost. Having a good kick on him is nothing more than a bonus.

D

Deleted member 29109

Firstly, they're all better than him but especially Donnarumma, Courtois & Lloris who are world class. Secondly, I'm kind of old school in that I like my keeper to keep the ball out of the net first and foremost. Having a good kick on him is nothing more than a bonus.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't want my goalkeepers being old-school. Having a keeper that can play is a bigger asset than one that is just a shot stopper.

That is why I rate Pickford over Pope for example.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

I don't want my goalkeepers being old-school. Having a keeper that can play is a bigger asset than one that is just a shot stopper.

100%, having a keeper who can play the ball out from the defence like an outfield player is a must in the modern game.

D

Deleted member 15344

858C1783-B347-4524-886B-085F274B66B7.gif

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Depends on opposition for me. In the qualifiers and against minnows, yeah absolutely. But once we get through and face Portugal, Germany, or Spain, I would rather go for a proper goalkeeper personally. Otherwise his mistake could cost us an exit.

D

Deleted member 16999

Depends on opposition for me. In the qualifiers and against minnows, yeah absolutely. But once we get through and face Portugal, Germany, or Spain, I would rather go for a proper goalkeeper personally. Otherwise his mistake could cost us an exit.
Ramsdale, Johnstone or Pickford, that’s it.

Even as an Everton fan I think Dean Henderson would be England’s No 1 if he was No 1 for his Club, but as the 3 above are Southgate’s options are you seriously suggesting Pickford should be dropped in favour of one of the other two?

D

Deleted member 16999

Yeah. But isn't it weird that the whole tournament hasn't been ruined by VAR yet? It's almost as if our officials were actually the problem all along... ?
Strange how we moan moan about Stockley Park as well when you consider the VAR Officials for these Euros are in Switzerland.

D

Deleted member 29109

There isn't a keeper on your list that hasn't made a mistake in a big game.

Even Edderson and Allison make them.

I'd back Pickford to make a wonder save late in a game or save a penalty.

Shall we also talk about how many strikers miss big chances that might also cost us a win? As this is a more likely scenario than a keeper making a catastrophic mistake.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ramsdale, Johnstone or Pickford, that’s it.

Even as an Everton fan I think Dean Henderson would be England’s No 1 if he was No 1 for his Club, but as the 3 above are Southgate’s options are you seriously suggesting Pickford should be dropped in favour of one of the other two?
No, you're probably right there. Generally speaking I'd put Henderson and Pope ahead of him for the reasons I mentioned, but with them both out of the picture there is no decision to be made. My overall point stands though that I'm worried about our keeper and CB situation compared to most of the other 'better' nations. But it is what it is. (y)