The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Nobody's that bad surely? I think he's done and maybe realises he's not up to the job. Won't walk though as waiting for the big bonus for failing at his job.
He is a good manager but that job is too big for him , he imo isn’t strong enough in all aspects and isnt tactically good enough

Will prob go back to a solid European team and do ok

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It would be good to secure an extra European place this year! Probably requires every CL team getting through to last 16 minimum though - plus Europa and Europa CL
Mixed feelings as I don't want Fulham playing in the Europa Conference next year. Not got a deep enough squad. Also assumes our league form continues and that itself is never a given with us

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yeah but a year in Europe is class!

So long as you stay up and you play ECL - id be more than happy!
Don't forget last time we played we went from the qualifying rounds to the final so being fickle if we didn't do too well it would be a disappointment. Mind you some great nights especially Juventus at home so if we get in (big IF) it would be nice to draw some big names

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Don't forget last time we played we went from the qualifying rounds to the final so being fickle if we didn't do too well it would be a disappointment. Mind you some great nights especially Juventus at home so if we get in (big IF) it would be nice to draw some big names

Honestly I'm loving being a team playing in Europe, just adds so much more to your season, and some brilliant ties along the way!

There's always 1 or 2 very decent sides in the ECL!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Honestly I'm loving being a team playing in Europe, just adds so much more to your season, and some brilliant ties along the way!

There's always 1 or 2 very decent sides in the ECL!
Thing is CL is definitely a pinnacle so we would be seriously over achieving to get there and then you look at some of the whipping boys in the new format and would it be worth it. Enjoy the adventure

Red devil

Visit site
Hang on! Rashford, who had looked as good going forward as he has done in a long time, was substituted at half time because ten Hag wanted to “rotate” his players? Really?

Regardless of the identity of the player, and it may not have escaped anyone’s notice that I am not Rashford’s biggest fan, but you don’t take off the player who has caused the most problems during the first half to “rotate” the squad, when you’ve squandered a 2-0 lead, and then admit it in your post match interview.

I’m staggered.
Do you think Ferguson would have been "thinking of Sundays match?" Not a chance. He'd be looking to win that nights match by whatever way and worry about Sundays match on Saturday night.
He'd have thrown the kitchen sink at Porto and to hell with it.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Do you think Ferguson would have been "thinking of Sundays match?" Not a chance. He'd be looking to win that nights match by whatever way and worry about Sundays match on Saturday night.
He'd have thrown the kitchen sink at Porto and to hell with it.

Tbf, its pretty well documented that Fergie did think about 3 matches ahead.

Literally heard a podcast last week where a player was sharing that he knew 2 weeks in advance he was playing in a Champions League game for them...

edit - doesnt mean he didnt try to win though... he did that well!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
He may well have been pissed off about certain aspects of his play, possibly defensively. But doesn't want to reveal that publicly, so used the old rotation excuse?

It isn't like he commonly rotates players at half time in games, so I doubt that is the actual reason

If there was a problem defensively down United’s left flank then that was largely down to Dalot. His positioning was absolutely chaotic, very often playing in a more advanced role than Rashford.

I know ten Hag likes his fullbacks to play high up the pitch, but as I said last night it very often leaves us horribly exposed. All Porto’s good early work was down United’s left, and yet at no time throughout the entire game did ten Hag appear to make any change and drop Dalot to a deeper and more conventional defensive position.

If there is an issue down that side, then shore it up by playing Dalot as a fullback rather than seemingly allowing him a free role. If the substitution was a tactical one it was as baffling as it was if it was made to give Garnacho game time.

Is Harry Amass injured? Without a recognised left back available surely he has to get a chance at some point. I was really surprised he didn’t feature against Barnsley.

Swango1980

Visit site
Tbf, its pretty well documented that Fergie did think about 3 matches ahead.

Literally heard a podcast last week where a player was sharing that he knew 2 weeks in advance he was playing in a Champions League game for them...

edit - doesnt mean he didnt try to win though... he did that well!
Fair point. Even recently, Scholes has explained the one time he refused to play for Man Utd, and regretted his decision. I think it was Liverpool that Fergie didn't play him, apparently so he could play the next game.

I think all managers have to look ahead to some extent. Just look at the team Spurs played the other night.

I actually thought the United starting 11 ETH played last night was pretty strong, even though we can all debate a player here or there we'd rather see. For example, I'd have rather seen Ugarte. It was a strong side overall, for what Utd have, but too many players did not perform defensively as you'd wish.