The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I reckon they’d all take Kobbie Mainoo, but the rest a hard pass.

Equally, ETH should be able to have system with that squad that can create a performance against over 50% of teams. GD -1 last season embarrassing.
As Swango said what is the obsession with the style of play. Pretty sure when it was 1-0 to the Arsenal and they were winning titles and beating their rivals fans weren't that bothered. Keegans we'll get one more than you style ultimately backfired and how long did it take Klopp to find his "style" at Liverpool.

Swango1980

Visit site
How many of those “poor players” did ETH have a hand in getting ? Or was it just pure coincidence the level that he used to manage
Well, no one can argue about Antony not working out. But the club management were a joke authorising what they paid for someone pretty much unknown.

ETH doesn't have the luxury of scouting the entire world for top quality talent. He'll only likely have a more detailed opinion on those he had worked with on a daily basis.

Casemiro was one of the best in the league his 1st season. I'd say most fans very much like Martinez, and have also liked Hojlund. Mazaroui and De Ligt have had good starts. Onana has not been bad, but sadly his performances in Champions League last year live long in the memory. Mount had largely been injured, and Yoro obviously injured now since arriving. But, regardless, I wouldn't pin the clubs transfer policy on one man. There should be a large group of people involved, and a good structure around it.

Is Arsenal's transfer policy down to Arteta? I thought the likes of Edu have been hugely influential? Do Liverpool rely on Slot, City on Pep, etc? The managers will have a good idea what isn't working within club, sorts of players they need. Not sure they have the time to evaluate all the options out there to bring in? And, especially during ETH's 1st season, he'd have not had a full idea what was broken within club immediately. So I'm not sure how much Antony was a signing fully down to ETH, or a desperate move from Club to make a high price signing and making it look like they are fully behind ETH?

Swango1980

Visit site
Rest assured - every time.

The fall from grace must be documented forevermore

Man United - the club that used to be good and is now nothing more than a cup side.
Not won the league for over a decade. And I don't think any sensible Utd fans call us a league championship contending side.

Mind you, how many clubs are? Man City. Arsenal last 2 seasons, but haven't won one in a much longer time than Utd. Many praise Liverpool, a club who have won one Premier League in about 31. And who haven't really competed against City in last couple of years. Spurs, Chelsea and Newcastle haven't exactly been league contenders, and Villa only emerged last season. Let's not talk about the decade before that, and who knows how they will get on over the next few years?

So, if Man Utd are realistic about not being league contenders currently, thank God we have at least been a "Cup Side". Not only a cup side who had had a good run in Cups, but actually managed to win a couple. Being a "Cup Side" definitely feels like a compliment to me :)

I suppose the other positive is that everyone seems to think Man Utd SHOULD be capable of being league contenders, hence all the critism they get when they don't compete. I suppose the day people no longer highlight their failures, will be the real time Utd fans should be worried.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Not won the league for over a decade. And I don't think any sensible Utd fans call us a league championship contending side.

Mind you, how many clubs are? Man City. Arsenal last 2 seasons, but haven't won one in a much longer time than Utd. Many praise Liverpool, a club who have won one Premier League in about 31. And who haven't really competed against City in last couple of years. Spurs, Chelsea and Newcastle haven't exactly been league contenders, and Villa only emerged last season. Let's not talk about the decade before that, and who knows how they will get on over the next few years?

So, if Man Utd are realistic about not being league contenders currently, thank God we have at least been a "Cup Side". Not only a cup side who had had a good run in Cups, but actually managed to win a couple. Being a "Cup Side" definitely feels like a compliment to me :)

I suppose the other positive is that everyone seems to think Man Utd SHOULD be capable of being league contenders, hence all the critism they get when they don't compete. I suppose the day people no longer highlight their failures, will be the real time Utd fans should be worried.

If a man united fan is content being a Cup side it shows how big the fall has been.

You're the second biggest club in the world mate, of course I think you SHOULD be league contenders. You still generate insane amounts of money. The commercial side is epic, the football side is dross.

You're probably the only side with the resources to compete with/ beat our Man City. And someone needs to, it should not be the same side winning year in, year out.

My club and your club are not the same and never will be (unless were about to have 30 years of trophies)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Did Arsenal get that title from Liverpool when they couldn't get over the PL line? Thought Keegans Newcastle were the undisputed bottlers

8 point lead with about 5 games to go wasn't it? Still found a way to lose.

And last year...

The forever maybes!

Rodri's injury presents the biggest opportunity they'll ever have - probably still wont get it done. And I hope they don't tbf, I don't like their fans at all, away support is shocking, silent until they lead then just "Arsenal" on repeat...

Swango1980

Visit site
If a man united fan is content being a Cup side it shows how big the fall has been.

You're the second biggest club in the world mate, of course I think you SHOULD be league contenders. You still generate insane amounts of money. The commercial side is epic, the football side is dross.

You're probably the only side with the resources to compete with/ beat our Man City. And someone needs to, it should not be the same side winning year in, year out.

My club and your club are not the same and never will be (unless were about to have 30 years of trophies)
Don't get me wrong. Of course I'm not happy with 8th. Or even 4th or 2nd. I want Utd winning leagues, and because of our revenue and global standing, still have hope we'll get there again.

I've been annoyed with the adhoc transfer policy for the lady decade. Splashing money on players with no real structure to building a squad. Giving players huge contracts, meaning you are stuck with bad eggs for years, more and more hamstrung with FFP restrictions as a result.

So, if we need to make do as a Cup Side right now, so be it. Better than being a Spurs. The hope still remains some structure will see league performances improve. But so much of the mess has not been created by the various coaches, but the coaches have become the easy targets to personify the mess Utd have got into.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. Of course I'm not happy with 8th. Or even 4th or 2nd. I want Utd winning leagues, and because of our revenue and global standing, still have hope we'll get there again.

I've been annoyed with the adhoc transfer policy for the lady decade. Splashing money on players with no real structure to building a squad. Giving players huge contracts, meaning you are stuck with bad eggs for years, more and more hamstrung with FFP restrictions as a result.

So, if we need to make do as a Cup Side right now, so be it. Better than being a Spurs. The hope still remains some structure will see league performances improve. But so much of the mess has not been created by the various coaches, but the coaches have become the easy targets to personify the mess Utd have got into.

Ten Hag has been there long enough now to have made improvements to the footballing side though, and he hasn't.

The biggest reason he's still in a job in my opinion, is that there is no obvious manager for the job. The best 2 already have jobs at top clubs, the third is on a break and would never manage United.

Swango1980

Visit site
Ten Hag has been there long enough now to have made improvements to the footballing side though, and he hasn't.

The biggest reason he's still in a job in my opinion, is that there is no obvious manager for the job. The best 2 already have jobs at top clubs, the third is on a break and would never manage United.
Well, I've been happier with him than Ole. Last season was awful, but there were many reasons for that, not 100% on ETH.

I've generally been pretty happy with the transfer policy, even before Ratcliffe arrived. There seemed to be a bit more structure, albeit always a risk some signings won't work out.

Most said, before ETH arrived, it would take Utd 3-5 seasons to even think of challenging. So, still early for me. And we now look to have built a more solid defensive foundation, and some younger players further up front to work with. I don't think Utd are as far away as people think, because sometimes a club can suddenly come pretty good once they get that solid defensive structure. Arsenal were a laughing stock 2 seasons ago, then suddenly came good with 2 solid league campaigns.

Sure, might still go wrong. But I'm still personally more confident than when Ole was at the wheel

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Well, I've been happier with him than Ole. Last season was awful, but there were many reasons for that, not 100% on ETH.

I've generally been pretty happy with the transfer policy, even before Ratcliffe arrived. There seemed to be a bit more structure, albeit always a risk some signings won't work out.

Most said, before ETH arrived, it would take Utd 3-5 seasons to even think of challenging. So, still early for me. And we now look to have built a more solid defensive foundation, and some younger players further up front to work with. I don't think Utd are as far away as people think, because sometimes a club can suddenly come pretty good once they get that solid defensive structure. Arsenal were a laughing stock 2 seasons ago, then suddenly came good with 2 solid league campaigns.

Sure, might still go wrong. But I'm still personally more confident than when Ole was at the wheel

I thought Ole had you playing more entertaining football though to be fair to him.

3-5 years maybe, but that time frame has to start somewhere and you'd like to see progression.

Defence is certainly the pace to start, Liverpool and VVD were the match made in heaven to make them competitive, but you also need goals. They already had that box ticked.

Arsenal are a funny one, Arteta has spent hundreds of millions and won nothing since he won the FA cup with Unai Emery's side... They look solid at the back but this year they need to win something!

Swango1980

Visit site
I thought Ole had you playing more entertaining football though to be fair to him.

3-5 years maybe, but that time frame has to start somewhere and you'd like to see progression.

Defence is certainly the pace to start, Liverpool and VVD were the match made in heaven to make them competitive, but you also need goals. They already had that box ticked.

Arsenal are a funny one, Arteta has spent hundreds of millions and won nothing since he won the FA cup with Unai Emery's side... They look solid at the back but this year they need to win something!
When Ole was temp manager, Utd were lovely to watch. Hence Rio's Ole at the wheel comments.

As soon as they jumped the gun and gave him a permanent contract, Utd almost instantaneously became hideous again.

There was one season we kept going behind with awful football, and in about a dozen occasions came back to win at the death. Was crazy, but not sustainable. Had we not got back into those games, would dread to know where we would have finished. Probably about 14th. All Ole seemed to have was a hopeful clap on side of pitch, thinking that might be enough. No way would he ever tear into players for being well below power, probably. It is something we needed.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
When Ole was temp manager, Utd were lovely to watch. Hence Rio's Ole at the wheel comments.

As soon as they jumped the gun and gave him a permanent contract, Utd almost instantaneously became hideous again.

There was one season we kept going behind with awful football, and in about a dozen occasions came back to win at the death. Was crazy, but not sustainable. Had we not got back into those games, would dread to know where we would have finished. Probably about 14th. All Ole seemed to have was a hopeful clap on side of pitch, thinking that might be enough. No way would he ever tear into players for being well below power, probably. It is something we needed.

A bad run of injuries and it’s 16th in the league with little sign of improvement. There’s no quality in depth.

Swango1980

Visit site
A bad run of injuries and it’s 16th in the league with little sign of improvement. There’s no quality in depth.
Na. Better squad than last year, and hopefully we don't match our worst set of injuries in PL era, so should end up better than 16th.

If we do end up 16th, don't you worry. Even I'll be begging Southgate to replace ETH :)

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

And the ones they spoke to turned them down

Tuchel or Pochettino would have done a better job with the players at United

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
And the ones they spoke to turned them down

Tuchel or Pochettino would have done a better job with the players at United
How much of that was to do with the takeover and uncertainty over ownership transfer budget. No-one has ever made it public, either the managers or the club so you're speculating if they could have done better. Mourinho was hardly a glorious success