The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The utter obsession with all things United is actually quite hilarious.
West Ham were gubbed 5-1 last night and yet there's hardly a mention.
It's almost as if some of you United haters are still pretty nervous about them.
The constant criticism and mick taking appears as if you're really just trying to convince yourselves.
Let it go, we all know United are under performing, we also all know that things will eventually change.

It's just a matter of when.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
The utter obsession with all things United is actually quite hilarious.
West Ham were gubbed 5-1 last night and yet there's hardly a mention.
It's almost as if some of you United haters are still pretty nervous about them.
The constant criticism and mick taking appears as if you're really just trying to convince yourselves.
Let it go, we all know United are under performing, we also all know that things will eventually change.

It's just a matter of when.

Don’t worry we talked about J-Lo and West Ham getting stuffed last night , was down to the ref apparently 😂

And no it’s nothing to about being nervous about them - most of us prob suffered through the Ferguson years when there at the top of English football for a good period , to see them suffer now is enjoyable

Just as Man Utd fans prob enjoyed when Liverpool went through a similar lengthy period , and Arsenal fans enjoying Spurs poor period ( well everyone enjoys that )

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Rest assured - every time.

The fall from grace must be documented forevermore

Man United - the club that used to be good and is now nothing more than a cup side.

Remind me when Villa last won a trophy? Was it the League Cup a whopping 28 years ago? Even a crap Manchester United have managed to nick a couple. So I’ll take being a “cup side” over being a “win sod all side” all day long.

Do I see any improvement this season? Put simply, yes I do. The defence looks way more solid than it has done for a considerable period of time. Martinez and de Ligt look like a decent pairing, I am really liking the look of Mazraoui and Dalot has surprised me at left back. When Shaw is fit the manager has a decision to make. And in front of the back four Manuel Ugarte already looks to be settling in.

All that makes for a far more solid look, this being backed up by the stats so far this season, which would suggest United are conceding way fewer chances than they were last year. The issue this season has been converting chances - they are creating a decent number, but simply aren’t putting them away.

Even the draw at Palace and against Twente last night did not have me head in hands like I would have been last year because the performances in both games were nowhere near as dire as we were so used to seeing last season.

I’ve watched every minute of every game this season, and can see what ten Hag is striving for first and foremost. A solid defensive base. No team wins trophies without a decent base, regardless of how many goals they score. Just ask Kevin Keegan.

This time last year I’d already started to lose interest, performance levels were that bad. Not so this year.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don’t worry we talked about J-Lo and West Ham getting stuffed last night , was down to the ref apparently 😂

And no it’s nothing to about being nervous about them - most of us prob suffered through the Ferguson years when there at the top of English football for a good period , to see them suffer now is enjoyable

Just as Man Utd fans prob enjoyed when Liverpool went through a similar lengthy period , and Arsenal fans enjoying Spurs poor period ( well everyone enjoys that )

Absolutely, but nowhere near this level of obsession.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

tbf tho Phil you do keep repeating yourself about being happy that ETH is still in charge,it is getting a bit obsessive 😬

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Absolutely, but nowhere near this level of obsession.

For 20 plus years it would have been and certainly was on the old 606 boards , forums just give it an easier platform

it’s not obsession to talk about rivals especially when they are performing so poorly

It’s only obsessive when someone only ever talks about one club ( and not even the one they support )

And it’s only a lot of talk about Man Utd because they are playing badly and have been for a while - if they started playing well then it would be less

Swango1980

Visit site
Shows what they think of the job at United then
Or, if you are correct, complete lack of ambition or lack of confidence in themselves.

New ownership model, so can't really point to chaos of ownership as to not take the job. Can't point to financial reasons, as I'm sure Utd would be a top paying job.

Man Utd is a club with a huge fan base and lots of resources. It has underachieved for years. So, what better job to take than a job like that, where you have the chance to bring success to a club again, and become a legend in the eyes of hundreds of millions of global fans.

Of course, if you don't think you have what it takes and are worried other fans will make fun of you after poor results, then I'm glad you are the type to say no to the job. The club doesn't need a manager with such a fragile ego

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Or, if you are correct, complete lack of ambition or lack of confidence in themselves.

New ownership model, so can't really point to chaos of ownership as to not take the job. Can't point to financial reasons, as I'm sure Utd would be a top paying job.

Man Utd is a club with a huge fan base and lots of resources. It has underachieved for years. So, what better job to take than a job like that, where you have the chance to bring success to a club again, and become a legend in the eyes of hundreds of millions of global fans.

Of course, if you don't think you have what it takes and are worried other fans will make fun of you after poor results, then I'm glad you are the type to say no to the job. The club doesn't need a manager with such a fragile ego

It’s amazing that top managers aren’t banging down the door then when you make so attractive- I’m staggered that the club were left with a manager they didn’t really want

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I reckon they’d all take Kobbie Mainoo, but the rest a hard pass.

Equally, ETH should be able to have system with that squad that can create a performance against over 50% of teams. GD -1 last season embarrassing.

Looking through the team it’s prob the one player the top sides would take , has impressed over the last 12 months , thought he was a little over hyped but can have a great career.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
For 20 plus years it would have been and certainly was on the old 606 boards , forums just give it an easier platform

it’s not obsession to talk about rivals especially when they are performing so poorly

It’s only obsessive when someone only ever talks about one club ( and not even the one they support
)

And it’s only a lot of talk about Man Utd because they are playing badly and have been for a while - if they started playing well then it would be less
1727371458947.gif

Swango1980

Visit site
It’s amazing that top managers aren’t banging down the door then when you make so attractive- I’m staggered that the club were left with a manager they didn’t really want
Who are all these top managers that are not in a job, thus available to sign up to Man Utd.

Where were all the top managers handing in their CV's to Liverpool? If their were loads, not sure you'd end up with Slot?

I know you are desperate to hope Man Utd's new owners think as badly as you do about ETH. But, perhaps there is a chance your opinion is less educated than theirs, and perhaps tainted by a hint of negative bias. After all, I'm sure you'd struggle to compliment any Utd manager. Maybe they simply decided there was enough good from his 1st TWO full seasons, had a decent CV before joining Utd, and no other available manager was definitively better, that they took the sensible option to stand by ETH for now.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Who are all these top managers that are not in a job, thus available to sign up to Man Utd.

Where were all the top managers handing in their CV's to Liverpool? If their were loads, not sure you'd end up with Slot?

I know you are desperate to hope Man Utd's new owners think as badly as you do about ETH. But, perhaps there is a chance your opinion is less educated than theirs, and perhaps tainted by a hint of negative bias. After all, I'm sure you'd struggle to compliment any Utd manager. Maybe they simply decided there was enough good from his 1st TWO full seasons, had a decent CV before joining Utd, and no other available manager was definitively better, that they took the sensible option to stand by ETH for now.
If UTD sacked ETH they’d be “a basket case of a club”
For a club that gets everything spot on I’m not sure how Liverpool won ONE title in 9 years with the 🐐 manager and spending knocking on £1b 🤷‍♂️

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Players signed by EtH

Erik ten Hag's Man United signings​

Including add-ons
  • Antony - £85million (£80.75m and another £4.25m)
  • Rasmus Hojlund - £72m (£64m, with £8m in add-ons)
  • Casemiro - £70m (£60m plus £10m in add-ons)
  • Mason Mount - £60m (£55m plus £5m)
  • Lisandro Martinez - £57m (£48.5m plus £8.5m - Further £2.2m in solidarity payments to Martinez's former clubs)
  • Leny Yoro - £52m (plus £6m in add-ons)
  • Andre Onana - £47.2m
  • Matthijs de Ligt - £43m (£38m plus £4.5m)
  • Joshua Zirkzee - £36m
  • Noussair Mazraoui - £17m
  • Tyrell Malacia - £14.6m
  • Altay Bayindir - £4.3million
  • Christian Eriksen - Free
  • Jonny Evans - Free
  • Sofyan Amrabat - Loan (£8.5m)
  • Sergio Reguilon - Loan (No fee)
  • Marcel Sabitzer - Loan (Undisclosed or No fee)
  • Wout Weghorst - Loan (£2.5m compensation to cancel Besiktas loan, £2.6m fee to Burnley)
  • Martin Dubravka - Loan (£2m)
  • Jack Butland - Loan (Undisclosed or No fee)
That’s over half a billion quid wasted and City are in court. 🤔😳😂😂😂😂😂😂👍

I will take div 3 football next season instead of trying to defend that.👍

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

The club spoke to Tuchel - league and CL winning manager

Where were all the top managers handing in their CV's to Liverpool? If there were loads, not sure you'd end up with Slot?

No idea who “handed a CV” in - the club interviewed people and went with who they think was the best fit

When did Man Utd get bought out ?

Are they still not owned by the Glazers

if you mean Ineos - track record at their other football clubs doesn’t show much

And that’s ETH the manager who guided the club to their worst ever position in the Premier League

Was it the sensible option or the only option left to them , if he was their man then no need to speak to anyone else

But if there really is no other manager that can do better than ETH then good luck in mid table 👍