The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Because it was reckless, not dangerous.

Jumping in like that with two feet seems pretty dangerous to me

“Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.”

two footed endangers a player imo

Swango1980

Visit site

“Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.”

The officials obviously deemed he didn't endanger the safety of the player, or that it was made with excessive force.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
The officials obviously deemed he didn't endanger the safety of the player, or that it was made with excessive force.
Well if we are going with referee judgements it has to be correct obviously, they never get it wrong. Thanks for making sure we are all aware of that Swango, I think many on this board may have felt something different, but good you have put us right.

Swango1980

Visit site
Well if we are going with referee judgements it has to be correct obviously, they never get it wrong. Thanks for making sure we are all aware of that Swango, I think many on this board may have felt something different, but good you have put us right.
I obviously felt it wisest to explain the decision based on the rule Arthur quoted, and the chap who actually made the call.

Pointless giving my own opinion, as it wasn't my call. But, if you want it, I only saw the replay. I felt it a pretty strange technique, although I was pretty confident VAR would not recommend a review, as there didn't seem much in it to me

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

All of the pundits seemed to agree. As did the referee and the VAR.

I think Martinez was a lucky lad, but the explanation given by those who are more in the know was that, because he made no contact with the Palace player, the challenge was reckless rather than dangerous.

I do get why he was not red carded, but I would not really have complained too loudly if he had been.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
personally id but a couple of the forum experts on the VAR/Ref panel.
They know EVERYTHING 😉

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
You are bundle of joy😀. It’s a great double save in the context of what Raya did and the match situation, albeit made possible by some crappy finishing. Then again I think all great saves are made possible by the finish giving the keeper a chance, Pele should have gone back across the keeper.😜
😂 I was a fine save indeed, but some were talking about it being one of the best of all time, which is nonsense

The one Onana made this evening was more difficult.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Relying on still images again?

I assume there was no horrific injury to the Palace player, so guessing he timed it well enough not to injure him?

Sure, it isn't a technique anyone will recommend. But presumably the officials felt he wasn't dangerous and out of control?
I would say he’s in perfect control .
But if the palace player put his foot through the ball it’s a different scenario.
You can’t tackle like that!
You don’t see it often because that’s normally a red!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How’s Spurs keeper got away with deliberate handball outside the area.
I thought if it was a red card offence VAR can intervene as the ref obviously missed it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How’s Spurs keeper got away with deliberate handball outside the area.
I thought if it was a red card offence VAR can intervene as the ref obviously missed it.
I think I heard on soccer Saturday that it wasn't a red card offence and so could not be reviewed. It would have been a yellow and a free kick.