The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh, that’s never a penalty! Shocking decision.

I was surprised but isn't it now var won't overturn the ref if there was any reason he could be right?

Keep reminding myself this isn't our first choice defence lol because boy do they open it up anytime they want

Can't wait until todibo and AWB are ready

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Antonio keeping up with the standard being the oppos best player lol at least j-lo will make subs second half and we might see someone else in his place

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I have a question about Association Football.
In American football, baseball, and basketball, there are many, many statistics compiled that describe what took place in the game.
Comparing apples to apples. lets compare the two [of many] football genres.

American football has things like
first downs,
time of possession,
yards gained rushing,
yards gained passing,
passing completion percentage,
quarterback sacks,
fumbles,
interceptions,
tackles,
average punting yardage,
penalty yardage assessed,
and many more.

People are aware of all of these things and discuss them frequently.

To me, Association football is more like hockey with a lot fewer metric of which to keep track.
I, however, am quite ignorant of the game so I wonder if that's the case.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Trent is trending on Twitter because apparently he was β€œunreal” today.
I watched the game & I must have missed that πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Ye Olde Boomer football is new to the stats game on the whole and we fans don't really obsess about them. Coaches and managers are now very much aware, have dedicated people looking at them.

For most fans, I'd say we mainly go off our eyes, not stats on their own. I'd argue that football is a far more fluid game than American football and stats alone really don't tell the story in the way they can with that game and baseball. Stats in football can be very deceptive.

Any fan talking heavy stats after a game will quickly get asked about the only stat that matters, the score πŸ˜„

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a question about Association Football.
In American football, baseball, and basketball, there are many, many statistics compiled that describe what took place in the game.
Comparing apples to apples. lets compare the two [of many] football genres.

American football has things like
first downs,
time of possession,
yards gained rushing,
yards gained passing,
passing completion percentage,
quarterback sacks,
fumbles,
interceptions,
tackles,
average punting yardage,
penalty yardage assessed,
and many more.

People are aware of all of these things and discuss them frequently.

To me, Association football is more like hockey with a lot fewer metric of which to keep track.
I, however, am quite ignorant of the game so I wonder if that's the case.
Generally football fans really dont give a monkeys about how much possession a team had or how much time a team spent in the opposition defensive third.

However, there are various statistics gathering organisations who produce numbers for every aspect of a game, not just at a team level but also on an individual basis....how many miles did a player run, heat maps showing where a player spent most of his time on the pitch, how many interceptions, how much tracking back a player did, how many tackles were made etc etc etc...it goes on to the infinitessimal degree. Whilst fans really couldnt care less (they simply know from watching the game whether a player is having a good game or not) many clubs are using such detailed metrics to analyse players performances and develop bespoke training plans, tactical plans etc for the team.

Also the use of such metrics is becoming increasingly common in evaluating potential transfer targets.

But the man in the street really only cares about one thing....the final score.