The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
@Ye Olde Boomer football is new to the stats game on the whole and we fans don't really obsess about them. Coaches and managers are now very much aware, have dedicated people looking at them.

For most fans, I'd say we mainly go off our eyes, not stats on their own. I'd argue that football is a far more fluid game than American football and stats alone really don't tell the story in the way they can with that game and baseball. Any fan talking heavy stats after a game will quickly get asked about the only stat that matters, the score 😄
A case in point could easily be the Newcastle - Southampton game today...
stats.jpg

The score? 1-0 to Newcastle.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I have a question about Association Football.
In American football, baseball, and basketball, there are many, many statistics compiled that describe what took place in the game.
Comparing apples to apples. lets compare the two [of many] football genres.

American football has things like
first downs,
time of possession,
yards gained rushing,
yards gained passing,
passing completion percentage,
quarterback sacks,
fumbles,
interceptions,
tackles,
average punting yardage,
penalty yardage assessed,
and many more.

People are aware of all of these things and discuss them frequently.

To me, Association football is more like hockey with a lot fewer metric of which to keep track.
I, however, am quite ignorant of the game so I wonder if that's the case.

There is only one stat that matters in football - the score 👍

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
What a start to the season for the villa boys! Good game, soft peno but we recovered well.

Expect West Ham to be top 10 this year so a good result away from home.

UP THE VILLAAAAA

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You wish 😂😂😂 he’s half the age of the rest of your strikers!

Kudus is one hell of a player btw

Yeah unless we convince him to stay by getting to Europe again and keep signing exciting players then he will be off next summer for sure

Paquata is pure filth lol on the ball in terms of skill and off it on being a dirty bugger lol should have been sent off I thought

A villa fan I spoke with reckons Watkins value is as high as he will ever be.. sell him now and build around Duran .. he does look exciting

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Plenty of positives today

Killman looked good in the main

Todibo looked solid when he came in

Summerville looked lively when he came on

Kudus was really good

And j-lo isn't afraid to change it up which I liked. Plenty of possession, result didn't come but villa deserved it

Add in AWB and todibo for coufal and Dinos then Alvarez back in 3 games he takes souceks place .. suddenly a more solid back line

Antonio was awful. Until doran came on he was villas best player 😂 I'd like to see Bowen returned to up top with kudus on the right and Summervile on the left as they can all swap and play good football

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yeah unless we convince him to stay by getting to Europe again and keep signing exciting players then he will be off next summer for sure

Paquata is pure filth lol on the ball in terms of skill and off it on being a dirty bugger lol should have been sent off I thought

A villa fan I spoke with reckons Watkins value is as high as he will ever be.. sell him now and build around Duran .. he does look exciting

Realistically we need them both, Ollie can’t play every game this season again. Duran also deserves more minutes but he’s 20 and playing under a top top coach, he will go far if he keeps improving like he is!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Realistically we need them both, Ollie can’t play every game this season again. Duran also deserves more minutes but he’s 20 and playing under a top top coach, he will go far if he keeps improving like he is!

Plenty of games this season I guess .. he's a cracking player. Exactly what we need can see why we pushed for him

Shame you kept upping his price lol 🤣 but at same time we turned to other targets and I'm happy with Summerville

Swango1980

Visit site
I was surprised but isn't it now var won't overturn the ref if there was any reason he could be right?

Keep reminding myself this isn't our first choice defence lol because boy do they open it up anytime they want

Can't wait until todibo and AWB are ready
I was surprised a penalty was given, what else could Cash have done? But, we are told VAR will not intervene anywhere near as much, so I reckon that will lead to just as much controversy down the line.

And then VAR decided to ask the ref to review the Everton penalty, because apparently DCL stood on Dunk. He didn't try to stand on Dunk, he only did so as Dunk flew in to make a tackle / block and was unsuccessful. Is that not enough for VAR to stay quiet?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Plenty of positives today

Killman looked good in the main

Todibo looked solid when he came in

Summerville looked lively when he came on

Kudus was really good

And j-lo isn't afraid to change it up which I liked. Plenty of possession, result didn't come but villa deserved it

Add in AWB and todibo for coufal and Dinos then Alvarez back in 3 games he takes souceks place .. suddenly a more solid back line

Antonio was awful. Until doran came on he was villas best player 😂 I'd like to see Bowen returned to up top with kudus on the right and Summervile on the left as they can all swap and play good football
I was surprised Bowen played where he did. I wasn’t sure if it was Villa marking him out of the game or if he was just out of position ?? I’m a big fan of his.