The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

4LEX

Visit site
Never been a Southgate fan but tonight was one of his better displays compared to some.

The issue is whenever we come against a decent team with a better manager we always lose, that's been the case throughout his tenre. The issue isn't on the players, it's on the manager.

Tonight we had a real go but the slow start to the second half cost us and then when we made it 1-1 and had the momentum we sat back. Spain actually looked better in the second half and they created far more chances. On the basis of the whole game they deserved it.

Gutted but with the age and quality of this side I think we'll be there or there abouts for the next 3 major tournaments. I would personally like Klopp in because he plays the right way, superb man manager, proven winner and it's a part time job. I hope the FA throw 10m a year at him tomorrow morning. The reality is they'll offer Wokegate another deal, which he'll find hard to refuse. If he does, they'll offer it to Lee Carsley on a budget.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Never been a Southgate fan but tonight was one of his better displays compared to some.

The issue is whenever we come against a decent team with a better manager we always lose, that's been the case throughout his tenre. The issue isn't on the players, it's on the manager.

Tonight we had a real go but the slow start to the second half cost us and then when we made it 1-1 and had the momentum we sat back. Spain actually looked better in the second half and they created far more chances. On the basis of the whole game they deserved it.

Gutted but with the age and quality of this side I think we'll be there or there abouts for the next 3 major tournaments. I would personally like Klopp in because he plays the right way, superb man manager, proven winner and it's a part time job. I hope the FA throw 10m a year at him tomorrow morning. The reality is they'll offer Wokegate another deal, which he'll find hard to refuse. If he does, they'll over it to Lee Carsley on a budget.
For me it boiled down to this, when the game was there for the taking at 1-1 both teams reverted to type. Spain continued to play football. England sat back and hoofed it long.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know there was a lot of just complaints about the team lacking balance with Trippier playing out of position and have to agree that, defensively, the team looked far better balanced with Shaw at left back, but...our attacking play down the left hand side was utterly non existent, irrespective of who played down the left ahead of Trippier/Shaw....every single one of them wanted to cut inside. Without a dedicated attacking left sided player we were utterly predictable....not just tonight but in previous matches.

Best team won tonight...cohesive, accurate passing, movement, speed of thought...descriptors that are not easily levelled very often at England I'm afraid.
That’s because GS never used Gordon.
The lad might as well just gone on holiday.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Such a great goal to win it

For month TAA has been ripped about his defending - Walker has been shocking this tournament and his positioning has been at fault for at least 4 of the goals England once

Time for him to go and get someone in there that will use TAA to the best of his abilities

Along with the likes of Gordon , Palmer , Mainoo

Swango1980

Visit site

Such a great goal to win it

For month TAA has been ripped about his defending - Walker has been shocking this tournament and his positioning has been at fault for at least 4 of the goals England once

Time for him to go and get someone in there that will use TAA to the best of his abilities

Along with the likes of Gordon , Palmer , Mainoo
Just because another right back might have a poor game, it doesn't change the fact TAA can't defend.

I don't think any manager would play TAA on the right of a back 3 anyway

Red devil

Visit site
When it got to 1-1 Southgate should have thrown the kitchen sink at it to win the game. Gone all out attack, which is the best firm of defence I'm led to believe.
Got Toney on and Gordon on the left to offer a threat that had been non existent on that side all tournament.
Instead sat back and let Spain take the initiative again.