The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

RichA

Visit site
Indeed, they are not. I'm sure Barcelona fans have similar views, generally.

And then there are other people, that just can quite easily hate other people for ultimately quite trivial reasons. I guess I'd be more understanding of such views towards the likes of Joey Barton, simply given his reputation of violence and pretty controversial views.
Barton broadcasts his Neanderthal misogyny for all to hear.
Other footballers we may have discussed hide behind payoffs by lawyers and NDAs.
Equally, if not more vile.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
That was a very good win for Holland - Romania were very dangerous

Holland created a lot of chances and if it wasn’t from some poor final balls then it could have been a lot more - impressive going forward and some very good options at the back

Will fancy their chances

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That was a very good win for Holland - Romania were very dangerous

Holland created a lot of chances and if it wasn’t from some poor final balls then it could have been a lot more - impressive going forward and some very good options at the back

Will fancy their chances
They definitely stepped up a gear. It could be said that Romania played an open style that suited Holland but even so, they took their chance.

One of the better games of this round.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
They definitely stepped up a gear. It could be said that Romania played an open style that suited Holland but even so, they took their chance.

One of the better games of this round.
I think Holland look one of the best teams so far. Very fluid and attack minded but managing to not concede too many, I reckon they fancy their chances against both Turkey and Austria

Swango1980

Visit site
I think it was Ronaldo that made Ronaldo the centre of attention.
I suppose you have a point. Making yourself one of the greatest footballers of all time, and still playing at national level at his age, people are just dying to express their opinion :)

Bit like Tiger Woods. Sports people who make themselves so good at their craft, there will always be millions dying to see them fail, and tell the world their views. Box office.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Ronaldo; why did he leave Utd in 2009? Utd were, arguably, the best in Europe at that time. Was the Prem too hard for him? He scored significantly more goals per game at Madrid than he did for Utd… Did Utd’s dressing room contain too many stars compared to Madrid’s?

Maybe the Madrid move was a cultural thing for him but I thought it was a backward step.

Swango1980

Visit site
Ronaldo; why did he leave Utd in 2009? Utd were, arguably, the best in Europe at that time. Was the Prem too hard for him? He scored significantly more goals per game at Madrid than he did for Utd… Did Utd’s dressing room contain too many stars compared to Madrid’s?

Maybe the Madrid move was a cultural thing for him but I thought it was a backward step.
He was a Portuguese lad, and apparently always had the ambition to play at Real Madrid. Believable, Madrid is a huge club for many great footballers.

As had already been said, not everything is about Man Utd :)

But I think most Man Utd fans accepted his decision with grace, and how it all came about

RichA

Visit site
I suppose you have a point. Making yourself one of the greatest footballers of all time, and still playing at national level at his age, people are just dying to express their opinion :)

Bit like Tiger Woods. Sports people who make themselves so good at their craft, there will always be millions dying to see them fail, and tell the world their views. Box office.
I thought you disliked people comparing things to other things to score a weak point. 😐

Swango1980

Visit site

PS.

I don't think the Premier League was too hard for him. In 07/08 he scored 31 PL goals, and 42 in 49 overall.

His lower scoring rate at Utd was largely because he scored very few in his early years, as he played as a raw winger. Was only the last 3 or so seasons he developed into a goal machine.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Playing for Madrid is the pinnacle.
It’s that simple.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
He was a Portuguese lad, and apparently always had the ambition to play at Real Madrid. Believable, Madrid is a huge club for many great footballers.

But I think most Man Utd fans accepted his decision with grace, and how it all came about

He actually delayed the move, giving United a further season. He loved working under Ferguson, and out of respect for him and the club, he didn’t go when it was widely expected that he would. For that reason his eventual departure was greeted with disappointment and acceptance in equal measure. He left with his head held high and the respect of most fans, myself included.

That’s the primary reason his second departure left such a sour taste in the mouth. The contrast between that and the first couldn’t have been greater. When he first left the club was bigger than the player. A year ago was a totally different story.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Portugal isn’t Spain, and for a number of reasons the Portuguese don’t always get on with Spain. There’s an outstanding issue over sovereignty on the Portuguese Spanish border that the UN have long since ruled on which Spain has chosen to ignore.

He obviously preferred Real Madrid but in footballing terms, at that time, I felt it was a backward step.