The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really can’t see what the issue is 🤷‍♂️

A bunch of people discussing football , different ideas , different opinions , good natured , nothing over the top - the same sort of debate that’s prob been hand across the country - even MOTD had the exact same debate

A few are trying to

There is a difference between “tracking back” - and what Kane is doing at times especially in the second half

He isn’t tracking back to help defend etc he is dropping deep looking to get on the ball - at times he has gone next to rice to pick the ball from him

In the first half his movement was more lateral to open up the space - that’s when it’s great movement and when England looked dangerous- second half he was too deep and crowding the space and not being there for anyone to release the ball to get the team up the pitch

Kane imo drops deep to get on the ball to look to create for runners going past him - like someone said earlier like he used to do with Spurs , those runners aren’t there for England , it’s not how those players work

I believe if you keep Kane higher up the pitch ( that doesn’t mean he can’t track any runners ) then his movement in the top half will create the space for the likes of Bellingham , Saka , etc to exploit - by dragging CBs out wide is what he was doing first half and when England looked dangerous

Both times when England have come close to do well they have sat back and sat too deep - they need to push higher , they have the players to cover , they have the ability to go at teams and frighten them
That's fair enough. He does go wandering a bit too much at times. I just think it's impossible to change him, and as he's by far the best option, you kind of just take the rough with the smooth and you know he'll come good in key moments. Sometimes I feel when the game's going well it's not a problem, and when it's not, it is. Would be interesting to see Gordon in the side as someone who actually stays wide and gets forward from there, but it's hard to know who makes way for him really. I just can't picture Gareth putting Jude back in the middle with Rice, no matter how much fans would like to see it. 😄

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
That's fair enough. He does go wandering a bit too much at times. I just think it's impossible to change him, and as he's by far the best option, you kind of just take the rough with the smooth and you know he'll come good in key moments. Sometimes I feel when the game's going well it's not a problem, and when it's not, it is. Would be interesting to see Gordon in the side as someone who actually stays wide and gets forward from there, but it's hard to know who makes way for him really. I just can't picture Gareth putting Jude back in the middle with Rice, no matter how much fans would like to see it. 😄

Maybe the Denmark match is the wrong match to do it but I’d be tempted to start Gordon in Foden’s position. Equally, I’d like to see Foden get at least 45mins to find his rhythm. TBH, I wouldn’t change the team for the Denmark match. If things go south, get one or two different players on.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe the Denmark match is the wrong match to do it but I’d be tempted to start Gordon in Foden’s position. Equally, I’d like to see Foden get at least 45mins to find his rhythm. TBH, I wouldn’t change the team for the Denmark match. If things go south, get one or two different players on.
I'd agree with this. Same line-up, but the first attacking change if needed should really be Gordon rather Bowen or Palmer. Gordon would add width and change the threat, whereas Bowen and Palmer are just more of the same I feel.

Sounds simple this, but maybe you just swap Foden and Saka around? Saka from the right cuts inside, Foden cuts inside no matter what side he's playing on because he likes being in the central area. But perhaps Saka playing on the left side would actually go outside the full back from time to time? Just a thought. Sometimes the best solution is the simplest one. 😬

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I'd agree with this. Same line-up, but the first attacking change if needed should really be Gordon rather Bowen or Palmer. Gordon would add width and change the threat, whereas Bowen and Palmer are just more of the same I feel.

Sounds simple this, but maybe you just swap Foden and Saka around? Saka from the right cuts inside, Foden cuts inside no matter what side he's playing on because he likes being in the central area. But perhaps Saka playing on the left side would actually go outside the full back from time to time? Just a thought. Sometimes the best solution is the simplest one. 😬

The issue then is you lose the width that Saka creates on the right - you need then the full back to overlap and it’s not walkers strong point - that’s why I would have TAA there ( he isn’t a midfielder imo)

But it needs a brave call - Rice and Bellingham as a two with Foden as a ten and then allow Bellingham to be box to box and then you create midfield runners to go past Kane to help

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The issue then is you lose the width that Saka creates on the right - you need then the full back to overlap and it’s not walkers strong point - that’s why I would have TAA there ( he isn’t a midfielder imo)

But it needs a brave call - Rice and Bellingham as a two with Foden as a ten and then allow Bellingham to be box to box and then you create midfield runners to go past Kane to help
Isn't it? I thought he does alright. I thought it made some sense that way if Trippier is still playing on the left, because he's even less likely to overlap, being right-footed. So with him and Foden on that side there is zero width on the left. It's all just a bit awkward and I'm not sure there is a perfect system where all the shiniest pegs fit all the holes. Agree on Trent, I'm also not sure he's a midfielder - another shiny peg in not quite the right hole.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I'll take a punt that if you were manager, you'd drop Kane before you'd consider dropping TAA
So, after we all had to endure all of that ridiculous debate, you've picked Kane in your starting line up.

The gift that keeps on giving
And on we go
Can the mods step in please and ask the personal jibes to stop!

Others have made this a healthy debate without the childish comments.

No wonder people dislike this thread!

Play the post, not the poster.

Swango1980

Visit site
Can the mods step in please and ask the personal jibes to stop!

Others have made this a healthy debate without the childish comments.

No wonder people dislike this thread!

Play the post, not the poster.
Some people are clearly highly sensitive these days. If you don't like them, report them. But, if we are going to report posts like that, then we'll have to start reporting about 100 posts a day.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Guys, reports have already come in from a number of posters. As much as possible, I’m letting the thread run as football is almost always emotive, and sometimes other opinions are equally valid.

Sometimes, as Arthur and I have done, it’s best to take a dominating the thread discussion to PM.

That said, please be assured I am watching the thread, especially how close it comes to a direct attack on another.

Some PM’s have already been sent.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
So this evenings games will give a clear indication as to how good Germany were, or Scotland were not.

If Germany were that good then they should dispose of Hungary comfortably....though as I type Hungary have a great chance!!!

Only Spain were truly impressive during the first round of matches but seeing how Croatia performed against Albania this afternoon then perhaps the Spanish performance wasnt all that great either. The second round of matches should be a far better indicator of the various qualities of each team.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Germany still looking good, but not as good as they did against Scotland.

Hungary looked better than they did against Switzerland.

2nd round of match’s off to a good start.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Enjoyed the game

Kroos and Ilkay are so good

But Musiala and Writz are two massively talented players - what a future they have ahead of them

Germany were a team I thought would do a lot better than people predicted

they do have a decent bench but not as strong as the likes of France or Portugal

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I didnt see much of the second half, but in the first half Hungary showed that there are significant flaws within the German defence if you get at them. Not sure that the hosts would be able to keep one of the top notch nations out, so remain to be convinced about Germanys potential to win the tournament.

Last edited:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I didnt see much of the second half, but in the first half Hungary showed that there are significant flaws within the German defence if you get at them. Not sure that the hosts would be able to keep one of the top notch nations out so remain to be convinced about Germanys potential to win the tournament.
Not sure there’s a great team in this tournament,especially when we were favourites.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I didnt see much of the second half, but in the first half Hungary showed that there are significant flaws within the German defence if you get at them. Not sure that the hosts would be able to keep one of the top notch nations out so remain to be convinced about Germanys potential to win the tournament.
Home support is an extra bonus, which could help them.