The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PaulMdj

Visit site
I can understand the negativety, England have the potential to do very well in this tournament.

Southgate has been in charge for a long while now and I can’t see him changing his tactics.

I have a different view to saying it’s only the first game and we got 3 points,look at the way we played in the second half it’s glaringly obvious if we play that way we won’t go far in this competition.
We won, how many attempts on goal did they create in the 2nd half?

Being able to play like that might just be what we need to do against the better teams.

We will get better and we will get stronger.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I can understand the negativety, England have the potential to do very well in this tournament.

Southgate has been in charge for a long while now and I can’t see him changing his tactics.

I have a different view to saying it’s only the first game and we got 3 points,look at the way we played in the second half it’s glaringly obvious if we play that way we won’t go far in this competition.

I agree.

Spain made a real statement with their performance, as did Germany. We had a real opportunity to make a similar statement but didn’t.

The better teams at the Euros should fear England. After last night they won’t be unduly concerned.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We won, how many attempts on goal did they create in the 2nd half?

Being able to play like that might just be what we need to do against the better teams.

We will get better and we will get stronger.

My view is the best teams see games out by dominating the ball and starving their opponents of the opportunity to create chances. Yesterday, we sat back and allowed Serbia plenty of possession, a better side might well have used it better and created more. Some good sides do take the sit back approach (e.g. Real Madrid when up against Man City), but if you're going to do that, you need to be absolutely lethal on the break, which we don't seem to be.

That said, I do agree that there were encouraging elements of the defensive display. It was our use of the ball that was disappointing.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I remember rightly, and this was obviously a while ago, we had a slow start in the great Euro 96 then kicked on to that performance against the Dutch then the match against Germany that we should have won.

PaulMdj

Visit site
My view is the best teams see games out by dominating the ball and starving their opponents of the opportunity to create chances. Yesterday, we sat back and allowed Serbia plenty of possession, a better side might well have used it better and created more. Some good sides do take the sit back approach (e.g. Real Madrid when up against Man City), but if you're going to do that, you need to be absolutely lethal on the break, which we don't seem to be.

That said, I do agree that there were encouraging elements of the defensive display. It was our use of the ball that was disappointing.
They do, but not in every game, people are writing England off after 1 game!

Comparing us to other other Teams who have also only played 1 game against poor opposition is simply overreacting, imo.

Chill, enjoy the win, Southgate himself wasn’t happy with aspects of the game and we’ll hopefully see the same starting XI on thursday, another win & a better performance.

Swango1980

Visit site
If I remember rightly, and this was obviously a while ago, we had a slow start in the great Euro 96 then kicked on to that performance against the Dutch then the match against Germany that we should have won.
Yeah, 1-1 versus Switzerland.

Last nights match was dull, but it was job done. I think it is probably best to start pragmatic and solid, get the points and build your confidence as the tournament progresses. Rather than come out, try and play immense football and then come out with a bloody nose because you underestimated your opponent who defended well, and hit you on counter once or twice. Drop points in Game 1, then you are under massive pressure in next 2 games.

The big questions of Southgate in the past have come in the knockout stages against the better sides. Last night did nothing to answer these, and to be honest, even if England won comfortable those questions would still be unanswered.

Teams have started tournaments slowly, and ended up being champions. Other teams have started tournaments by coming fast out of the blocks, only to be humiliated in a poor Round of 16 or QF defeat.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is it, it takes a little time for players to get used to different systems again and adjust to the players around them. May have to eat my words but in the group stages it is all about just getting through and performance matters less.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

The difference then was we had Terry Venebles as manager who progressed and had England playing a very fluent exiting style of play, probably the most tactical astute manager we’ve had.

Sadly I can’t see us producing the style of football we saw in Euro ‘96

I hope I’m wrong as we certainly have the players to give us more than we saw in that second half.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The difference then was we had Terry Venebles as manager who progressed and had England playing a very fluent exiting style of play, probably the most tactical astute manager we’ve had.

Sadly I can’t see us producing the style of football we saw in Euro ‘96

I hope I’m wrong as we certainly have the players to give us more than we saw in that second half.

This is the thing though. I remember going to the pub the night before a law school exam to watch the match against the Dutch and was not expecting much, we had not been on fire at that stage except for the Gazza goal and I was expecting a boring draw as both teams had qualified already. I was certainly not expecting one of the finest 90 minutes of football that I have seen from an England team.

As people often say, it is the hope that kills you.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They do, but not in every game, people are writing England off after 1 game!

Comparing us to other other Teams who have also only played 1 game against poor opposition is simply overreacting, imo.

Chill, enjoy the win, Southgate himself wasn’t happy with aspects of the game and we’ll hopefully see the same starting XI on thursday, another win & a better performance.

I agree writing England off and comparing against other teams that played against completely different opposition is daft.

It isn't realistic to expect a wholesale change to the tactics we employed yesterday (which are generally the same as we've played under Southgate the last few years), so safe to say that we will generally look to sit deep if we take the lead. That's ok, wouldn't be my chosen approach, but he knows a lot better than me, regardless though, we need to get an awful lot better at executing those tactics if we're to go deep in the tournament.

I'm hoping we play with a bit more freedom as the games progress and hopefully confidence builds. A really good win against Denmark could change everything.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
No one is writing them off though, they are saying very disappointed and they will have to improve if they are to beat the better teams. Also that GS is the issue and we may struggle to get where we should be having him as our manager.

I expect us to top our group easily and make the last 8 regardless if we run round like headless chickens, it's the next part many are worrying about.

PaulMdj

Visit site
No one is writing them off though, they are saying very disappointed and they will have to improve if they are to beat the better teams. Also that GS is the issue and we may struggle to get where we should be having him as our manager.

I expect us to top our group easily and make the last 8 regardless if we run round like headless chickens, it's the next part many are worrying about.
Maybe you have a lot of people blocked or you haven’t read all the posts, there is more negativity than owt else.

People complaining about Southgate and how he sets up etc! Guess what, he isn’t going to change now, we know how he likes to play and it has been relatively succesful for him. He can’t be blamed for the inability of dome players to not be able to pass to a team mate.

Even above you recognise he’s the issue, but expect something different.🤷‍♂️

He’s managed last 4 and runners-up, fingers crossed this time he’s goes all the way.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe you have a lot of people blocked or you haven’t read all the posts, there is more negativity than owt else.

People complaining about Southgate and how he sets up etc! Guess what, he isn’t going to change now, we know how he likes to play and it has been relatively succesful for him. He can’t be blamed for the inability of dome players to not be able to pass to a team mate.

Even above you recognise he’s the issue, but expect something different.🤷‍♂️

He’s managed last 4 and runners-up, fingers crossed this time he’s goes all the way.
That doesn't mean i don't hope we don't do well or even win it however it's blind and dumb to not take in to account the weakness that is GS.

The general feeling is we should have a great chance of winning it but our weakness is our manager and we most likely will fall in the later stages when with a better manager we could and should go all the way. That is not doom and gloom or negativity, it's realismn.

Putting your fingers in your ears and singing lalalalalalala will not help us win.