The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This sums up the Home Nations mentality for me.🤬
Love how genuinely hurt Watkins is. I think McGinn is talking rubbish to be honest. Of course they have English pundits for England games, just like they have Scottish pundits on for the Scottish games. :unsure:

Swango1980

Visit site
This sums up the Home Nations mentality for me.🤬
I care not to listen to the opinion of an Englishman on the mentality of fans from the home nations ;)

PaulMdj

Visit site
Love how genuinely hurt Watkins is. I think McGinn is talking rubbish to be honest. Of course they have English pundits for England games, just like they have Scottish pundits on for the Scottish games. :unsure:
Yep, that was it for me, I get the World v England mentality years ago, but some need to move on.

Watkins is a young guy, probably sees GB as one Nation, yet McGinn talks like it was the 1970’s.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What Scottish pundits? Apart from Ally McCoist, Alan McInally, Pat Nevin........errmmmmm Where are the Welsh pundits, that's what I want to know :mad: (😂)

Watkins is from a different era, one that doesn't have that same rivalry. It makes McGinn look small

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
If you live in Scotland and see the coverage you can understand where McGinn comes from

I have no problem with Scotland fans not wanting England to win - it’s a rivalry that’s been going for centuries and I don’t expect it to change

It’s no different to an Everton fan or Man Utd fan not wanting Liverpool to win or vice versa etc

Sport would be a bit dull without rivalries

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Watkins is a young guy, probably sees GB as one Nation, yet McGinn talks like it was the 1970’s.
Watkins is from a different era, one that doesn't have that same rivalry. It makes McGinn look small
Watkins is only one year younger than McGinn by the way. 😄

Seems to be quite a one-sided 'rivalry' really. They will us to lose out of petty jealousy, whereas most English fans are either completely indifferent, or wouldn't mind if Scotland did well. On a personal note, my father-in-law is Scottish, that makes my daughter a quarter Scottish by blood, so I can't hate them really. We have put a Celtic top on her before. :) Just being realistic though, I can't see them getting anywhere. They'll need a win at either Hungary or Switzerland and I don't think either of them are pushovers.

Swango1980

Visit site
Are English fans genuinely getting upset / frustrated because McGinn has quipped about wanting England to do poorly? Really? I'm sure he doesn't want England to do well, but it simply sounded like normal friendly rivalry to me?

Do Liverpool fans want to see Man Utd do well. Do they want to see Everton do well, their local neighbours. I bet they don't, and that is often not even friendly rivalry. That is what football is all about, and rivalries play a big part of that.

I'm sure there are lots of English people that don't wish Scotland or Wales to do well at all. If we pick on individuals, Simon Jordan is one such Englishman based on his views on Talksport. There will be other English fans who have even stronger negative feelings towards the home nations.

To be fair, in football the home nations are such lower quality than England, that many of the English fans don't feel too bothered at all, and it is easy to wish the home nations well because, ultimately, they are probably still no threat to England. Whereas fans from the home nations know England are much better, often touted as one of the favorites, and so naturally hope they come up short. I'd bet if Scotland were one of the top teams in the world, and Scottish fans were telling everyone that they SHOULD win the tournament for the last 2 years, then many many more England fans would love it if Scotland lost all their games.

I doubt many Man Utd fans cared too much about Man City before the money came into Man City (even a lot of the ones who actually live in Manchester), as they were no real threat. Whereas I bet nearly all Man City fans hated Man Utd. Now that City are much better, I've no doubt a heck of a lot more man Utd fans hate Man City and want them to fail miserably :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are English fans genuinely getting upset / frustrated because McGinn has quipped about wanting England to do poorly? Really? I'm sure he doesn't want England to do well, but it simply sounded like normal friendly rivalry to me?

Do Liverpool fans want to see Man Utd do well. Do they want to see Everton do well, their local neighbours. I bet they don't, and that is often not even friendly rivalry. That is what football is all about, and rivalries play a big part of that.

I'm sure there are lots of English people that don't wish Scotland or Wales to do well at all. If we pick on individuals, Simon Jordan is one such Englishman based on his views on Talksport. There will be other English fans who have even stronger negative feelings towards the home nations.

To be fair, in football the home nations are such lower quality than England, that many of the English fans don't feel too bothered at all, and it is easy to wish the home nations well because, ultimately, they are probably still no threat to England. Whereas fans from the home nations know England are much better, often touted as one of the favorites, and so naturally hope they come up short. I'd bet if Scotland were one of the top teams in the world, and Scottish fans were telling everyone that they SHOULD win the tournament for the last 2 years, then many many more England fans would love it if Scotland lost all their games.

I doubt many Man Utd fans cared too much about Man City before the money came into Man City (even a lot of the ones who actually live in Manchester), as they were no real threat. Whereas I bet nearly all Man City fans hated Man Utd. Now that City are much better, I've no doubt a heck of a lot more man Utd fans hate Man City and want them to fail miserably :)
It was more the juxtaposition of his view against Watkins, for me. Watkins couldn't understand the negativity. I think it shows that it's more of a one-sided rivalry, so not really similar to United-Liverpool etc.

I think your paragraph in bold is accurate and most telling. Apparently there is a similar thing where England think we have a great rivalry with Germany, but over in Germany they find that amusing and don't think of us as significant in any way.

Swango1980

Visit site
It was more the juxtaposition of his view against Watkins, for me. Watkins couldn't understand the negativity. I think it shows that it's more of a one-sided rivalry, so not really similar to United-Liverpool etc.

I think your paragraph in bold is accurate and most telling. Apparently there is a similar thing where England think we have a great rivalry with Germany, but over in Germany they find that amusing and don't think of us as significant in any way.
I'm not much of a rugby fan, but know a lot who are fans. I get the impression all my English rugby loving fans don't have much love for Scotland or Wales rugby teams. I think rugby is a better example of what a rivalry would become if the nations where all more competitive, albeit rugby fans are all gentleman :)

PaulMdj

Visit site
There’s been lots of comments on here about the media and how they “see” things or push positions etc.

As an Englishman, I’ve never expected England to win anything, hoped? Wished? Absolutely, but should? Never.

Yet all the time we get shoved down our throats how much we’re hated or want to see us fail by the Home Nations because of our supposed arrogance, this includes Rugby and other Sports as well.

I don’t see it as the same as Club rivalry, this is another level, I can’t ever see myself celebrating with a Lpool supporter if Utd lose, but I know for a fact Everton/Lpool fans come together to support England and travel together to England fixtures. ( Not all LPool fans are anti the National team.

A lot of this rivalry is false and pushed by the media and some fans fall straight in to it.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not much of a rugby fan, but know a lot who are fans. I get the impression all my English rugby loving fans don't have much love for Scotland or Wales rugby teams. I think rugby is a better example of what a rivalry would become if the nations where all more competitive, albeit rugby fans are all gentleman :)

They are .......................................... because the thugs are on the pitch! ;)

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
So Everton value Branthwaite at over £80mil - which when considering some prices paid in recent years seems a fair value

So what’s the value of Man Utd’s opening bid

£35mil ?!?

What was the point - and who on earth is submitting a bid like that

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
So Everton value Branthwaite at over £80mil - which when considering some prices paid in recent years seems a fair value

£35mil ?!?

Beats opening with a bid of £70m plus, and Everton then trying to have our pants down because they think United are willing to pay way over the odds. They’re testing the water, that’s all.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

£35mil ?!?

It’s called negotiating,put in a cheeky bid & meet somewhere in the middle 🤷‍♂️

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Beats opening with a bid of £70m plus, and Everton then trying to have our pants down because they think United are willing to pay way over the odds. They’re testing the water, that’s all.

When a club values a player at over £80mil then £35mil is going to be laughed at , it shows really poor level of transfer negotiations when the difference is that wide - it was the same with Maguire , Sancho etc

That’s not testing the water - going in with £50mil would

Last edited: