The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But what about Bellingham who has done it for England in that free role
That's the conundrum if the both play that role 🤷‍♂️. I don't watch Spanish football so I can't compare the 2. I can only go off what I see from Foden for city.

Whatever he does, he must not try to shoehorn one of them in a different role. It doesn't work, history has shown us this.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
That's the conundrum if the both play that role 🤷‍♂️. I don't watch Spanish football so I can't compare the 2. I can only go off what I see from Foden for city.

Whatever he does, he must not try to shoehorn one of them in a different role. It doesn't work, history has shown us this.

Foden has played off the left multiple times for City and done well

But the biggest issue will be Kane ,

He will continue to float back into the space that both Bellingham and Foden want to get on the ball

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Thing is Bellingham can easily play the the number 8 role next to rice. Foden left and Palmer in the number 10 without any real shoe horning

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Why not? As opposed to the best team philosophy that's won us sweet FA in the last 6 decades that included a couple of alleged golden generations.
I'm not suggesting the mentalist all out attack option - just best 11.
Because it’s stupid.
Pick the best players for each position for how you want to set up the team,rather than playing players out of position just to get them in the team.
Which is what we’ve actually been doing for years.
Southgate needs to grow a pair and be willing to drop big names if he needs to,to balance the team.
IMO of course.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because it’s stupid.
Pick the best players for each position for how you want to set up the team,rather than playing players out of position just to get them in the team.
Southgate needs to grow a pair and be willing to drop big names if he needs to,to balance the team.
IMO of course.
That I actually agree with......shock horror:)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Because it’s stupid.
IMO of course.
If Southgate was a flamingo he would be on his ass, he cannot balance.
Ave said it time and time again. What is his style of play, what is his formation. Here we are guessing as to who will play where. At the moment what is nailed on is
Pickford

Bellingham

Kane.

Now you can put in four defenders, a couple of midfielders, and a couple of wingers. But who are they. Three days before the comp starts and we know who three players are.

4LEX

Visit site
I can't believe there's debates around TAA starting in midfield and Bellingham playing deeper, a position he hasn't played in all season just to cram in Foden. Bellingham is our best player and has linked up well with Kane, plus they can switch positions and also play together further forward. He's physicial and decent in the air.

The defence is a bit of a mess so I won't mention that but the team should be;

Rice
Mainoo
Bellingham

Foden
Kane
Saka

I would be seriously tempted to put Palmer over Saka but feel for the first game that's the team which deserves it and is our best side. I also like Gordon on the left and think we look better with pace out wide. A balanced lined up with a strong bench is what we need. If things aren't working, Southgate needs to be big enough to make big calls early instead of doing nothing and letting games drift.

4LEX

Visit site
Rumours the opposition fans on Sunday aided and abetted by the hosts are looking to cause trouble at the weekend. Of course it will be our fans fault. I do agree though and no-one wants those dark days again. It was a plague and when it is kicking off in a mid table clash in division 3 you know there's a massive problem in the game and society

I think a lot of that is just media trying to hype things up.

I've no doubt they'll be elements from both sides and locals who are keen to have a tear up but that happens at almost every game. The problem with England games is all those groups get together and spur each other on plus there's large numbers of fans who aren't troublemakers but will get involved after 8 pints.

I'm not going to be going out until the semi finals, fingers crossed we get there!

RichA

Visit site
Because it’s stupid.
IMO of course.
So pick your best team from that squad with nobody playing out of the position they play successfully every week for their club.
There will be at least a couple of "best players" you shoehorn in out of position to get them in the team or left out to prove a point.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I can't believe there's debates around TAA starting in midfield and Bellingham playing deeper, a position he hasn't played in all season just to cram in Foden. Bellingham is our best player and has linked up well with Kane, plus they can switch positions and also play together further forward. He's physicial and decent in the air.

The defence is a bit of a mess so I won't mention that but the team should be;

Rice
Mainoo
Bellingham

Foden
Kane
Saka

I would be seriously tempted to put Palmer over Saka but feel for the first game that's the team which deserves it and is our best side. I also like Gordon on the left and think we look better with pace out wide. A balanced lined up with a strong bench is what we need. If things aren't working, Southgate needs to be big enough to make big calls early instead of doing nothing and letting games drift.

For me the best England team at the moment is

Pickford

TAA
Walker
Stones
Shaw

Rice
Bellingham as an 8
Foden as a 10

Saka
Kane
Gordon

That allows TAA to play inverted role with Walkers pace able to cover , Bellingham and Foden to roam , Saka and Gordon providing width - just need Kane to stay high and Rice needs to be disciplined

4LEX

Visit site

Pickford

TAA
Walker
Stones
Shaw

Rice
Bellingham as an 8
Foden as a 10

Saka
Kane
Gordon

That allows TAA to play inverted role with Walkers pace able to cover , Bellingham and Foden to roam , Saka and Gordon providing width - just need Kane to stay high and Rice needs to be disciplined

Not sure about that for me as I think it's way too open especially against top sides but I don't rate Walker at RB unless it's a big game. He just lacks quality going forward. For the 'easier' games I'd be tempted to start TAA with Mainoo doing a job of covering. He was one of the few bright spots from the warm up games and he's one of the best crossers in the world. Walker can also do a job at CB but again it comes down to playing people out of position.

I hope going forward Ben White gets the RB slot as he links up with Saka on a weekly basis and that is a huge plus IMO. Think how good Neville and Beckham were for way over a decade on the same side. We could have that for the next 2 major tournaments at least.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Pickford

TAA
Walker
Stones
Shaw

Rice
Bellingham as an 8
Foden as a 10

Saka
Kane
Gordon

TAA in defence? 😱
He needs to be as far away from our penalty box as possible 😬