The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No idea how the game went today but one of the issues will be who is buying the players - will they allow ETH to bring who he wants because two big signings he wanted are Antony and Onana and they haven’t worked out too well

I’d actually complete disagree about Onana. Whilst he’s had a few shockers look at the defence he’s spent his first season behind and look at the number of shots he’s faced. I’d argue that any keeper coming in this season would have struggled and I’m happy to put money on him being a massive success at United assuming we get our act together.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Hojlund is a decent player - but just decent , the sort of striker you would see doing ok at a mid table club

I always thought you knew a thing or two about football. But I might have to reassess after that comment 😉

Listen to the pundits. Those who played the game at the top level, and for whom football has been their lives. The majority have said at various times this season that this lad will be a star. And the United fans absolutely love the guy.

I know there is at least one here who hates ETH, thinks Hojlund wouldn’t look out of place on Blackpool beach, and generally finds fault in everything the club does. But I agree with the pundits.

Comment has been made that Hojlund often seems not to know whether to stick or twist when making runs into the box. But such has been the inconsistency of the service, especially from those playing either side of him, that he simply doesn’t know what sort of delivery he is going to get. If any.

When his shot conversion rate was pointed out to me I was taken aback. Since Christmas, 191 players managed 10 shots or more in the Premier League. Of those, Hojlund had by far and away the best conversion rate - nearly 50%. That’s not the sign of a player who would only be just okay in a mid table side. That’s the sign of a player who will be a top striker when he starts getting something approaching decent service, something he has lacked almost entirely all season.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hojlund is a decent player - but just decent , the sort of striker you would see doing ok at a mid table club

If ETH stays I think that will be great because I don’t expect he will have them anywhere near challenging top 4.

Hojlund - should never have been put into the situation that he was United’s number one striker. ETH asked for a senior striker (wanted Kane) and was told that with Rashford and Martial that it wasn’t needed. Also look at the supply he had from the wings, absolutely nothing. He’ll come good, needs experience and more support.

ETH - disagree. More than happy for him to stay and have another season with hopefully less injuries. I also see no one in the potential replacement list that I think will do better.

4LEX

Visit site
Too little too late I think.

All season Man Utd have been way too open, pressing high and totally chaotic. The last 4 games ETH changed to two sitting players, a lower line, less agressive press and more counter attacking football and they've looked a different team. He had the whole season to make these changes and was too stubborn and arrogant to do it.

Today was a great first half, shocking second where Man City missed 2-3 good chances to take it to extra time or even win it.

Perfect ending for both parties go their seperate ways. ETH may well get a crack at a decent job in Italy or Germany on the back of this, while Man Utd can rebuild properly.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I’d actually complete disagree about Onana. Whilst he’s had a few shockers look at the defence he’s spent his first season behind and look at the number of shots he’s faced. I’d argue that any keeper coming in this season would have struggled and I’m happy to put money on him being a massive success at United assuming we get our act together.

Looking at the goal he conceded today looks a snapshot of him and a number of other shockers but it’s prob a combination of both him and the players in front of him not having confidence in each other. Think there is a soft wrist mistake in him

I always thought you knew a thing or two about football. But I might have to reassess after that comment 😉

Listen to the pundits. Those who played the game at the top level, and for whom football has been their lives. The majority have said at various times this season that this lad will be a star. And the United fans absolutely love the guy.

I know there is at least one here who hates ETH, thinks Hojlund wouldn’t look out of place on Blackpool beach, and generally finds fault in everything the club does. But I agree with the pundits.

Comment has been made that Hojlund often seems not to know whether to stick or twist when making runs into the box. But such has been the inconsistency of the service, especially from those playing either side of him, that he simply doesn’t know what sort of delivery he is going to get. If any.

When his shot conversion rate was pointed out to me I was taken aback. Since Christmas, 191 players managed 10 shots or more in the Premier League. Of those, Hojlund had by far and away the best conversion rate - nearly 50%. That’s not the sign of a player who would only be just okay in a mid table side. That’s the sign of a player who will be a top striker when he starts getting something approaching decent service, something he has lacked almost entirely all season.

For Hojlund I guess the only way we will see is what happens over the next couple of seasons

It was a big fee spent on him and he will need to produce consistently - I don’t see a top striker there but we will see

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I totally agree with you. Onana was fantastic at Inter before joining Man Utd, to such an extent he was voted best keeper in the Champions League the season before his transfer. He struggled when he first came in, but if you put Kahn/Casillas/Buffon/Neuer behind that Utd defence they would've struggled. De Gea wasn't great when he joined Utd but went on to be one of their best ever keepers and personally I would only have Schmeichel above him of the keepers I've seen play for Utd.

4LEX

Visit site

I take it this is aimed me?!

I don't hate ETH, just think he's not good enough to manage Man Utd. Even you changed your tune over the last few months! Don't let today cloud your judgement.

Hojland is a decent striker with potential, nothing more or less. A Man Utd striker needs to be one of the best strikers in the world, not a physical kid with potential. Mainoo and Garnacho are serious players that are younger and are delivering to a high class level now, that's the difference. Hojlund deserves another year but he's shown very little to suggest he'll be a star. It's only since he's been dropped and you've played without a striker that you've started to look a lot better.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Hojlund - should never have been put into the situation that he was United’s number one striker. ETH asked for a senior striker (wanted Kane) and was told that with Rashford and Martial that it wasn’t needed. Also look at the supply he had from the wings, absolutely nothing. He’ll come good, needs experience and more support.

ETH - disagree. More than happy for him to stay and have another season with hopefully less injuries. I also see no one in the potential replacement list that I think will do better.

Tuchel would be a better appointment -also think Pochettino, both at different ends of the spectrum but both managers at a higher level than ETH

The team needs a huge overhaul and it’s going to take a lot - It’s very risky to be doing that with someone who still imo is very much unproven

As a rival - i hope he stays

Billysboots

Visit site
I take it this is aimed me?!

I don't hate ETH, just think he's not good enough to manage Man Utd. Even you changed your tune over the last few months! Don't let today cloud your judgement.

Hojland is a decent striker with potential, nothing more or less. A Man Utd striker needs to be one of the best strikers in the world, not a physical kid with potential. Mainoo and Garnacho are serious players that are younger and are delivering to a high class level now, that's the difference. Hojlund deserves another year but he's shown very little to suggest he'll be a star. It's only since he's been dropped and you've played without a striker that you've started to look a lot better.

Just having a little fun!

Yes, I have changed my mind a couple of times. But that really didn’t start until the abysmal capitulation against Coventry. There was no excuse for that, and in the immediate aftermath I wanted the manager gone. It really was the straw which broke the camel’s back.

But looking at it objectively, and when considered in the context of what has gone on at United since 2013, the club has to break the cycle and at some point find some stability. I don’t think any manager post Ferguson has lasted more than two years.

I said earlier in the season that INEOS had to get the structure right above and around the manager, and then give him a year. On balance, and I’ll accept it’s a close call for me, I’d still go with that option.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Tuchel would be a better appointment -also think Pochettino, both at different ends of the spectrum but both managers at a higher level than ETH

The team needs a huge overhaul and it’s going to take a lot - It’s very risky to be doing that with someone who still imo is very much unproven

Thing is if INEOS bring in a new manager at this point it’s on them and with the state of the club that’ll be totally on them if it goes tits up. I think the majority of United fans recognise the issues that ETH has faced this season and whilst he’s not totally blameless the fans want him to stay on. If INEOS decide to sack him the risk losing the support of the fans if their own choice doesn’t work out. The safe choice is to stick with him.

4LEX

Visit site
I totally agree with you. Onana was fantastic at Inter before joining Man Utd, to such an extent he was voted best keeper in the Champions League the season before his transfer. He struggled when he first came in, but if you put Kahn/Casillas/Buffon/Neuer behind that Utd defence they would've struggled. De Gea wasn't great when he joined Utd but went on to be one of their best ever keepers and personally I would only have Schmeichel above him of the keepers I've seen play for Utd.

He had one good season at Inter and that's it. What did he do in his previous 5-6 years? Very little, just played for Ajax in a farmers league. He's 28 with one good season in his locker. He's not someone that will improve, he actually makes the defence worse due to his poor shot stopping. By his standards he had a good game today and that included his usual poor footwork and getting done with a low shot. He made 2 good saves which he normally lets in.

DDG was 20 when he joined Man Utd and had potential to improve, Onana is the finished product. You can't compare the two.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

And yet Liverpool are bringing in Arne Slot as their new manager and you've been far less vocal about how it's very risky to be bringing in someone who is very much unproven. His managerial record is Cambuur, AZ, Feyenoord and is far worse than Ten Hag's record. Ten Hag has managed Bayern Munich reserves, Utrecht and Ajax before joining Utd and took Ajax to the semi finals of the CL in 2019, and won three Dutch League titles in four years as well as a couple of domestic cups. Slot won one league title and one cup with Feyenoord. Wonder why you're far more critical of the Utd manager's record than of your club's new appointment?

Billysboots

Visit site
Thing is if INEOS bring in a new manager at this point it’s on them and with the state of the club that’ll be totally on them if it goes tits up. I think the majority of United fans recognise the issues that ETH has faced this season and whilst he’s not totally blameless the fans want him to stay on. If INEOS decide to sack him the risk losing the support of the fans if their own choice doesn’t work out. The safe choice is to stick with him.

I said a while ago that the support for the manager amongst match going fans appears largely undiminished. I genuinely think the majority of fans want to see ten Hag given a little more time.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I said a while ago that the support for the manager amongst match going fans appears largely undiminished. I genuinely think the majority of fans want to see ten Hag given a little more time.
Given your injury list over the season I think ETH has done ok.
Yes some fans don’t like the set up sometimes but that’s footy.

My question would be “ does ETH want to stay given the way he’s been questioned time and again”?
He might go for a quieter life somewhere!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He had one good season at Inter and that's it. What did he do in his previous 5-6 years? Very little, just played for Ajax in a farmers league. He's 28 with one good season in his locker. He's not someone that will improve, he actually makes the defence worse due to his poor shot stopping. By his standards he had a good game today and that included his usual poor footwork and getting done with a low shot. He made 2 good saves which he normally lets in.

DDG was 20 when he joined Man Utd and had potential to improve, Onana is the finished product. You can't compare the two.

He was only at Inter for one season so it's disingenuous of you to say he "only had one good season at Inter and that's it". He was only there for one season so it would've been very difficult for him to have had two or three good seasons there. He was obviously considered good enough at Ajax to earn the move to Inter.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But is he that bad?
That isn't really a ringing endorsement 😄.

Imagine that as an advertising tagline, 'Onana, is he that bad?🤔'

I think when you are judging key players, and keepers are key, it's a good way to judge by asking which team would swap out their equivalent for them? I'm not sure many in the PL are swapping their keeper for him, that says a great deal.

Billysboots

Visit site
My question would be “ does ETH want to stay given the way he’s been questioned time and again”?
He might go for a quieter life somewhere!

The very same thought occurred to me during his press conference. It must have been enormously tempting to simply get up and walk out.