The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good hoof forward wasn’t it ?

Cmon Amanda, I like your objectivity on here but you’re coming across as a bitter blue.

Just say Utd played better and deserved the win, without caveating it with “we were tired after playing under immense pressure ”, ”utd just hoofed it forward “ etc etc

Where did I say the 2nd goal was a hoof up the park? Where did I say it was the ONLY tactic utilised? Stop being so over sensitive and reading more into it than was said. Seriously I try so carefully if and when I put anything on this thread to not put something that will cause offence and argument. It's not worth it.

I'm sorry you read my comments as bitter - but that's on you.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Just watching ETH’s post match press conference and I have enormous sympathy for him. His side have just won the FA Cup and barely a question has been asked about that, the sole focus being his future.

I remain torn. The performances this season have been largely dire. But with Varane and Martinez reunited at the back we had a solid base to work from, and with Amrabat having a great game just in front of them there was a solidity about United which has been missing all season. The first time we looked stretched was when Haaland hit the bar.

Much as my faith in the manager was stretched by the abysmal semi final against Coventry, I still err on the side of keeping him. We can’t keep chopping and changing managers.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
We were pretty poor today and couldn't deal with a hoof up the park all game. Foden and De Bruyne off the mark. Stones was a strange choice.

Personally I struggled to get up for today after the past several games to bring the title home. I know they're professionals but wouldn't deny them some come down and dip in form after playing under immense pressure for the last month or so.

Rodri's winning run had to end some time!
A pro should never struggle to get up for a game. Jordan never did, even against rubbish sides.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Ah well we can bring Dickov out of retirement and build again.

Can't say I've said anything about Utd today you should take offence at. On the day the better team won. I'd argue that's more because we played poorly than Utd played really well but they certainly performed at a level not seen most of the season.

Anyway.
😂😂😂😂
My son had a photo taken with him today. My son said we could have done with you today.
He agreed 😂😂
Quote son.
I just said to him now “we could’ve done with you today, Paul. We could’ve done with you”.
Quite Dickov
I agree.
Spooky. 😂😂😳

Attachments

• 87696951-74d7-4e75-9d1b-22f4ab70094b.jpeg
    87696951-74d7-4e75-9d1b-22f4ab70094b.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 2

Swango1980

Visit site
Just watching ETH’s post match press conference and I have enormous sympathy for him. His side have just won the FA Cup and barely a question has been asked about that, the sole focus being his future.

I remain torn. The performances this season have been largely dire. But with Varane and Martinez reunited at the back we had a solid base to work from, and with Amrabat having a great game just in front of them there was a solidity about United which has been missing all season. The first time we looked stretched was when Haaland hit the bar.

Much as my faith in the manager was stretched by the abysmal semi final against Coventry, I still err on the side of keeping him. We can’t keep chopping and changing managers.
I thought he gave a very good interview after the game on ITV

Pin-seeker

Visit site
😂😂😂😂
My son had a photo taken with him today. My son said we could have done with you today.
He agreed 😂😂
Quote son.
I just said to him now “we could’ve done with you today, Paul. We could’ve done with you”.
Quite Dickov
I agree.
Spooky. 😂😂😳
So your son said “we could have done with you today”?
😂

Red devil

Visit site

Of the managers supposedly in the frame for his job which one of them could have done a better job with the players at their disposal? None! So let's not become a Chelsea of the North buy a few decent players to replace the deadwood (Martial) for example and give him another season.

Billysboots

Visit site
I thought he gave a very good interview after the game on ITV

He remained very dignified in his press conference, despite the gathered reporters being almost exclusively totally disrespectful.

I get they have a job to do and all want a sensational headline, but I felt really sorry for the fella.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Of the managers supposedly in the frame for his job which one of them could have done a better job with the players at their disposal? None! So let's not become a Chelsea of the North buy a few decent players to replace the deadwood (Martial) for example and give him another season.

No idea how the game went today but one of the issues will be who is buying the players - will they allow ETH to bring who he wants because two big signings he wanted are Antony and Onana and they haven’t worked out too well

But also what level of player are they going to get at the moment

I still don’t think he is good enough as a manager for Utd and I’m more than happy for hin to stay

Heck of a lot of work needed at Utd and imo it includes a better manager - both Tuchel and Pochettino are better than him imo

Billysboots

Visit site
No idea how the game went today but one of the issues will be who is buying the players - will they allow ETH to bring who he wants because two big signings he wanted are Antony and Onana and they haven’t worked out too well

But also what level of player are they going to get at the moment

I still don’t think he is good enough as a manager for Utd and I’m more than happy for hin to stay

Heck of a lot of work needed at Utd and imo it includes a better manager - both Tuchel and Pochettino are better than him imo

Onana has settled in really well after a shaky start, albeit he was badly at fault for City’s goal today. But I agree, Antony has largely been a disastrous signing.

It’s interesting that you fail to mention Martinez, given how today illustrated for all to see how much we have missed him. And also Hojlund, who the majority of pundits agree will be an exceptional striker. Disregard his goal tally, although 16 in all competitions in his first season, during which he has largely ploughed a lone furrow, is a pretty decent return. He has fed off scraps for the most part, but his shot conversion rate suggests that, when he gets the service, he will score goals. Lots of them.

I am no fan of Tuchel, and am far from convinced that Poch will fare any better than ten Hag has done. Perhaps we over achieved in 2022/23, but the fact remains United have won two trophies, been in three Wembley finals and qualified for the Champion’s League last season and the Europa League this, albeit via the back door.

It’s a really difficult one. The performances have been dire for much of the season. The team lacks a discernible style of play. Finishing in 8th with a negative goal difference is really poor. But, that has to be balanced against an astonishing injury crisis. Yes, I get other clubs have similar issues, but United’s defence has been absolutely obliterated, week after week, by repeated injuries to first choice players. Every successful team has been built around a solid base and spine. We have had no base all season to work from.

A disappointing season has been salvaged to a degree by an FA Cup win. The fact that we had our first choice CB pair available for the first time in months is surely no coincidence.

If ten Hag is sacked it will sadly come as no surprise. But I’m not entirely sure any one of us can judge him as a manager until he has something approaching a full squad available to choose from.

Last edited:

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Onana has settled in really well after a shaky start, albeit he was badly at fault for City’s goal today. But I agree, Antony has largely been a disastrous signing.

It’s interesting that you fail to mention Martinez, given how today illustrated for all to see how much we have missed him. And also Hojlund, who the majority of pundits agree will be an exceptional striker. Disregard his goal tally, although 16 in all competitions in his first season, during which he has largely ploughed a lone furrow, is a pretty decent return in his first season. He has fed off scraps for the most part, but his shot conversion rate suggests that, when he gets the service, he will score goals. Lots of them.

I am no fan of Tuchel, and am far from convinced that Poch will fare any better than ten Hag has done. Perhaps we over achieved in 2022/23, but the fact remains United have won two trophies, been in three Wembley finals and qualified for the Champion’s League last season and the Europa League this, albeit via the back door.

It’s a really difficult one. The performances have been dire for much of the season. The team lacks a discernible style of play. Finishing in 8th with a negative goal difference is really poor. But, that has to be balanced against an astonishing injury crisis. Yes, I get other clubs have similar issues, but United’s defence has been absolutely obliterated, week after week, by repeated injuries to first choice players. Every successful team has been built around a solid base and spine. We have had no base all season to work from.

A disappointing season has been salvaged to a degree by an FA Cup win. The fact that we had our first choice CB pair available for the first time in months is surely no coincidence.

If ten Hag is sacked it will sadly come as no surprise. But I’m not entirely sure any one of us can judge him as a manager until he has something approaching a full squad available to choose from.

It’s very hard to talk about a player who spends most of the time visiting the physio due to injury - he could be the best in the world but if he isn’t on the pitch enough then it doesn’t matter

Hojlund is a decent player - but just decent , the sort of striker you would see doing ok at a mid table club

Cup finals are a good day out and it’s good to win them but the club needs consistent strong finishes in the league to build on , winning an FA Cup isn’t a stepping stone to building a team , getting into the CL should be and then getting in their consistently -

But they still finished 8th - it’s the clubs worst position for over 30 years.

Yes there are some injuries and most clubs have them and need to deal with them - Man Utd have spent around £400mil in the last two seasons and it’s very hard to see the quality within the team that’s needed to sustain a year in year challenge.

If ETH stays I think that will be great because I don’t expect he will have them anywhere near challenging top 4.

Swango1980

Visit site
It’s very hard to talk about a player who spends most of the time visiting the physio due to injury - he could be the best in the world but if he isn’t on the pitch enough then it doesn’t matter

Hojlund is a decent player - but just decent , the sort of striker you would see doing ok at a mid table club

Cup finals are a good day out and it’s good to win them but the club needs consistent strong finishes in the league to build on , winning an FA Cup isn’t a stepping stone to building a team , getting into the CL should be and then getting in their consistently -

But they still finished 8th - it’s the clubs worst position for over 30 years.

Yes there are some injuries and most clubs have them and need to deal with them - Man Utd have spent around £400mil in the last two seasons and it’s very hard to see the quality within the team that’s needed to sustain a year in year challenge.

If ETH stays I think that will be great because I don’t expect he will have them anywhere near challenging top 4.
Martinez played 27 times in the league last season. Not enough games for you to judge him!? Even Carragher saw enough to u-turn on his initial feeling he was too small to play in PL.

Yes, 8th is not good enough. We all know that, but we all know there are mitigating circumstances. Utd fans often told we live in the past, yet ironically most of us know where we are presently. It is people like yourself that compare us to teams of old. We know we are not as good as the 90's, so why you comparing us to the last 30 years!???

For me, with the players he has had available, I'm a little surprised we finished top half, given some really strong looking sides below us at times.